FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

VoIP getting feedback

marrs
Hi all

I have a wireless router and voice over ip and a digital cordless phone.
The problem is I am getting a lot of "Buzz" feedback on the line and I was wondering what could cause this?

Could it possible that the wireless router is interfearing with my wireless phone?

Any help would be appreciated

mark
vixenk
First of all, make sure you're not doing any heavy downloading/uploading on the router while using the phone. Second, check the settings on the voice quality of your VOIP service - usually anything over 32kbps is too high for standard phones and you will get some funky noises/behavior.

As long as the phone base is set away from the router, it should be fine. One way to tell if you're getting interference from the router though would be to try plugging in a regular corded phone and seeing if you get the same noise.
marrs
Ummm... the thing is I dont have another telephone connection its just our Voip modem/phone going through our router,But maybee I will test it with a 'cord phone' and see if thats makes the difference,if I can find it!

marrs
orno
i know someone who had interference on their cordless phones (5GHz ones) when their wireless was turned on...they simply changed their router to provide wireless on another channel (6 or 7 instead of the default 11 i think) and that solved their problem
marrs
orno wrote:
i know someone who had interference on their cordless phones (5GHz ones) when their wireless was turned on...they simply changed their router to provide wireless on another channel (6 or 7 instead of the default 11 i think) and that solved their problem

Thanks but my wife spoke with our providers and they optimized something,now its working fine!

Mark

(dunno wot they did but now it works)
marrs
orno wrote:

Umm silly thing is making problems again!
I have a Panasonic - KXTG7120 cordless phone if anyone can help me
mystzero
Just to add on, one more thing you shouldn't forget is to enable QoS (Quality of Service) through your router configuration if you haven't. This is because QoS prioritize incoming voice packets as opposed to data packets. With that, voice packets can be transmitted without any restrictions from the bandwidth consume to download data packets.
AutoTechGuy
I have Vonage VOIP service. I have the phone modem plugged into my router. I also have the landline disconnected from the house and a phone cord going from the phone modem to a nearby phone jack. I have 4 phones plugged into various jacks in the house, and it all works perfectly.

In the past I would occasionally run into static noise and delayed voice transmission, but a few simple speed tests on the PC showed the my internet speed was WAY too slow. The cable company replaced the main cable going underground from the pole to the house and have not had a problem with that since!

Do some ping tests and speed tests and see if any anomalies appear.
marrs
Ah getting feedback once again i did a bit of research and found out that our wireless router doesn't have QoS I think this is the problem..
My internet connection is fast and I cant think what else I could do.