FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My sound is mono, please help!

Da Rossa
Too late I realised that my system sound is not stereo, it's monaural. I discovered it while getting to many improper headshots in Counter-Strike. If I throw a grenade then immediately turn 90 degrees, I hear the explosion on both sides. Then I saw that the mp3 playback is also mono. It's even worse when watching 5.1 high qaulity videos, I can't experience even the 2.0 feeling.
My sound card is a Creative Live 5.1. The man who installed my OS and placed the card in the slot instaled eveerything that came with the board, including those superfluous programs, which I uninstalled. But I did not uninstall the drivers, as far as I Know. My OS is Win XP SP2.

So far I:
- tested the headphone in a friend's pc, it worked fine in CS. The phone is innocent.
- Tried to navigate through the audio controls from control panel, found nothing related to 'stereo' or 2.0 or 2-channel or derivatives.
- Moved all the balance controls to one side then played the mp3 again, the song was heard from both sides of the phone.
- Changed the audio advanced properties, speaker settings to stereo headphones.
- Introduced the headphone green connector into every one of the five holes in the sound card.
- Changed the default audio device to the onboard sound device, "SoundMax digital audio"
- Executed the default config.cfg file in Counter-Strike but I haven't changed anything related to audio.
- Tried a driver update for the sound device, when prompted to connect to the windows update to find a driver, I said yes.
- Went crazy as I am now.

Please help me!!
alkady
It's not easy to help you at this moment because you aren't really specific on your hardware and problem. Are you using a headphone or a speaker?

And if your system is Stereo Capable, then it's probably just a setting that was put at Mono thats all.
Da Rossa
alkady wrote:
It's not easy to help you at this moment because you aren't really specific on your hardware and problem. Are you using a headphone or a speaker?

And if your system is Stereo Capable, then it's probably just a setting that was put at Mono thats all.

I did say I was using a headphone, and my system IS stereo capable because it worked fine in a recent past (2 months ago it worked). I exposed all the circumstances necessary and what I tried until the moment...
DecayClan
Go to control panel->sounds
at the first windows(volume, click at the last button(Speaker settings/advanced). At teh speakers, choose stereophonic table speakers, or something like that.

Hope that hellped Smile
Da Rossa
DecayClan wrote:
Go to control panel->sounds
at the first windows(volume, click at the last button(Speaker settings/advanced). At teh speakers, choose stereophonic table speakers, or something like that.

Hope that hellped Smile

Already did, like I stated in "So far I... #4".
dz9c
I also had some similar problems but turns out I just didnt put the jack in all the way lol. I dont know if that'll help but sometimes little things like that do make a difference. The jack appeared to be in but it was like only a few mm's out and sound was coming out only mono on a stereo male to male connector cable. Rolling Eyes
Da Rossa
Interesting: I turned the default audio device to the onboard sound, and it worked, the sound is now stereo. However I need to get this working in the offboard creative sound card because I need to plug both the headphone and the av cable out to tv.
Other guy said that I might have been fooled when purchasing this board because AIDA32, the diagnosis program, states that it is actually a Creative SB PCI128 (Ensoniq ES1371 sound card not a Live! 5.1 as I expected and according to the CD that came together.