FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Airport Tax

dickyzin
Sydney Airport attracts an airport tax of approximately AU$340 whereas other countries attract only around US$10 - US$30. Why is there a huge difference? Shocked AU$340 is about half the price of a normal ticket. Where's all that money going?
Logantheman
Thats interesting, Ive never heard that.. I'd imagine the money goes towards the maintenance of the airport facility, but thats rather steep. Guess its really a matter of what they're choosing to charge.. not much you can do about it.. pay it or dont fly Confused
alkady
I did some converting from Australian Dollars to Canadian Dollars and I hope you are kidding when you say it cost AU$340 because that a hell of alot of money to travel on plane. Thats pratically 2 back and forth trips on a airplane from Montreal to Toronto.

Usually the Airport maintenance fee is charged as a small fee, like in Canada where it's I think $35 in total with the Security Surcharge.

And to answer your question, the Fee which is probably a "all in one" fee must cover the "Sept. 11 Fee" which is a North American like charge to cover the extra security to prevent terrorism, there must be a maintenance fee, a usage fee, a surcharge for unexpected cost, taxes etc. a hell of alot of expenses if you ask me.
dickyzin
It is indeed quite steep. I've learnt that some or a significant amount of the tax is going into the security upgrade due to September 11. $340 is still too much!! Sydney Airport has been privatized so I guess they can charge whatever fees they feel fit.
kevin briggs
low cost airlines in ireland and the uk advertise seats on flights in uk and to europe for as little as 4.99 but when you go on line to buy the ticket they put a airport tax duty on it and ends up being over 50.00
Illionaire
I think if you fly into the U.S. you have to pay a fee of $100. I just got back from Cuba, and their departure tax was 25 pesos, which is about 30 canadian dollars. Over $300 is still a ridiculous amount of tax though. I am surprised that people are willing to pay that.
HoboPelican
dickyzin wrote:
Sydney Airport attracts an airport tax of approximately AU$340 whereas other countries attract only around US$10 - US$30. Why is there a huge difference? Shocked AU$340 is about half the price of a normal ticket. Where's all that money going?

Can I ask where did you get your info? That seemed incredibly high, so I looked around a bit and only found things like this:

Quote:
Airport Taxes: Departure tax is AUD38.00 for all passengers over the age of 12. Departure tax as well as all other taxes must be included at the time of ticketing

http://www.travel-library.com/airports/pacific/australia/nsw/sydney/sydney_airport.html

Typically, you have a VAT for the airport (at one point, the UK didn't have this), a separate security charge and a fuel surcharge. I've never heard of these adding up to over 50USD unless you are making multiple stops(then each airport gets it's share).
Davidgr1200
...and when I looked I found a tax of $49
http://travel.asiaone.com/tips/20051105_10_secrets.html

Perhaps you were buying seven tickets?.

Personally I think it is bad of the airlines to quote a ticket price which is not the price you will have to pay. Airport tax is part of the cost of running the airline, just like fuel, salaries and the cost of the aircraft. Taking it to the extreme they could just give a price which is the profit they make on the ticket and then add on all their costs to give a final figure which is what you will have to pay.
dickyzin
Davidgr1200 wrote:

Thanks for the research. I guess the $340 that I'm paying as taxes includes the airport tax plus other charges like fuel surcharge and facilities tax.

I've also notice that each ticket agent charges different tax rates for the same flight with the same airline. Shouldn't they all be consistent with the taxes? Is there a way to check the tax rates for the day?
alkady
dickyzin wrote:
Davidgr1200 wrote:

Thanks for the research. I guess the $340 that I'm paying as taxes includes the airport tax plus other charges like fuel surcharge and facilities tax.

I've also notice that each ticket agent charges different tax rates for the same flight with the same airline. Shouldn't they all be consistent with the taxes? Is there a way to check the tax rates for the day?

Normally taxes are the same where ever you go because they don't change unless the Government decides to, which doesn't go up and down every day. Perhaps every now and then.

If the rate is different by a few cents, it's probably because your local tax contains a decimated number such as .5 which means the agent decides if he should round it up or down to the nearest cent. In Quebec the taxe is taxed so it's not unusual to pay $1.15 for something at one dollar store and $1.14 at another because of the decimation.

You should probably check your Government's Revenue Agencies web site. I did do some research and the GST at the Federal Level is 10%, so your only paying $0.10 on the dollar, because I don't know what State you live in, I can't say if there is a Value Added Tax at the State level.
dickyzin
If Sydney Airport is private owned, which it is, will the government still have a say as to how much airport tax should cost? Or would it be upto the private company?
sibbahz
Ive seen flight prices on easyjet double once the luton airport tax was added.

It really makes the low cost adverts not worth taking notice of.
meet in rio
Airport tax is a good thing, in my opinion. Flights contribute hugely to global warming, and as long as they're cheap then people will continue to travel excessively and sometimes unnecessarily by plane. Economics, man.

Not that I haven't had my share of flights---I'm not judging the individuals---but prices should be higher because of the currently unaddressed negative externality (environmental costs).
goutha
Airport taxes are usually part of the ticket total price - not exactly a
secret, but kind of transparent to most people.

At lease this is the way it is here in the US. In my experience I have
never had to pay anything out-of-pocket in Europe or Central America for local airport taxes.
dickyzin
meet in rio wrote:
Airport tax is a good thing, in my opinion. Flights contribute hugely to global warming, and as long as they're cheap then people will continue to travel excessively and sometimes unnecessarily by plane. Economics, man.

It's a bit hard for people living in Australia or any island not to travel overseas by plane. The ships just don't go that fast yet. Wink
suntzu3500
Illionaire wrote:
I think if you fly into the U.S. you have to pay a fee of $100. I just got back from Cuba, and their departure tax was 25 pesos, which is about 30 canadian dollars. Over $300 is still a ridiculous amount of tax though. I am surprised that people are willing to pay that.

I might also note that Cuba-US travel is subject to special circumstances - the tax on entry/exit is probably substantially higher than most places.
Shin
It's impossiblely high. I think you must have made a mistake. There is no way the airport tax can be that high. It will just put people off going to Australia.
tijn01
I'm sorry but your completely WRONG! the tax is $3.40 which is actually tiny compared to most taxed at airports. Just arriving at Heathrow airport is GBP30, which is AUD55 or something like that.
The Australian airport taxeds are actually very low, although we do charge AUD20 for every departure from our country....
So stay have a beer and forget about a measly $3.40
suntzu3500
Shin wrote:
It's impossiblely high. I think you must have made a mistake. There is no way the airport tax can be that high. It will just put people off going to Australia.

I agree. That must have been a typo of some kind.
dickyzin
http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/SACL/Corporate+Information/Media+Centre/Fuel+charges+increase+-+Sydney+Airport+charges+unchanged.htm

Check out the URL above. It's from the official Sydney Airport website. It has some article about the airport charges.

Quote:
For an average international ticket total charges are approximately $224 ...

You can also check by booking a flight from Sydney to another country from some airline's websites such as Singapore Airlines, Thai Airways or Qantas and check out how much they charge on top of the normal fair. It's very expensive. Sad
suntzu3500
dickyzin wrote:
http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/SACL/Corporate+Information/Media+Centre/Fuel+charges+increase+-+Sydney+Airport+charges+unchanged.htm

Check out the URL above. It's from the official Sydney Airport website. It has some article about the airport charges.

Quote:
For an average international ticket total charges are approximately $224 ...

You can also check by booking a flight from Sydney to another country from some airline's websites such as Singapore Airlines, Thai Airways or Qantas and check out how much they charge on top of the normal fair. It's very expensive. Sad

If i'm not mistaken that also includes fuel tax.
dickyzin
Yes, it does include fuel surcharge as well.
dickyzin
Arr.. I just paid AUS$340 for all taxes & surcharge!! I got a free flight since I accrued enough frequent flyer points. But 'free' isn't entirely 'free' due to tax and surcharge. Airlines should include these extra charges when they provide free tickets. Although I know this extra money does not go to the Airlines.
jetStream
Airport Taxes are levied by Governments and aren't to be confused with landing fees which are charged by individual airport operators and are incorporated into the actual airfare you pay for the flights.

Airport taxes are very much like road taxes in that they are not necesarilly used to improve the area's that they are taken from.

In the UK, the airport taxes were almost doubled this year in an attempt to curb air travel expansion and reduce carbon emissions from aviation. This has been very contencious, particularly with airlines, as rather than funneling the monies into schemes to absorb carbon emissions or to reduce them, there seems to be no plan to do so.

What's worse is that aviation accounts for only 3% of worldwide emissions, within a decade it will be expected to account for no more than 6%. This is far, far lower than power production or road travel, yet airlines have been specifically targeted as they appear to be an easy one.

Also, airport taxes shouldn't be confused with arrival/departue/tourist "taxes" that are levied on people entering countries such as Mexico, Cuba, Turkey and Egypt. These are applied to individual passengers at the airport and tend to be charged on top of airport taxes which are paid for at the time of paying for the air fare.
Tim Graham
dickyzin wrote:
Arr.. I just paid AUS$340 for all taxes & surcharge!! I got a free flight since I accrued enough frequent flyer points. But 'free' isn't entirely 'free' due to tax and surcharge. Airlines should include these extra charges when they provide free tickets. Although I know this extra money does not go to the Airlines.
In many cases there are hidden catches with frequent flyer points and those cheap airfares - up until not long ago it's been perfectly legal to advertise $2 fares, with 'taxes and surcharges' totalling $50 in small writing underneath.

In frequent flyer points' case I think that's a new thing as well - I'm fairly sure it used to be that you paid in points and that was it. If it wasn't advertised then it might not've been legal (by the ACCC's rules anyway) - although I think the laws on the above only applied to actual $AUD fares not frequent flyer points.