FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

just an idea i thought up

Blaster
Well i mod a ipb bored and like the whole hide posts thing. Its where only moderaters and admins can see posts. That way you know where the posts goes and all. It helps out when users have questions about there post and is really easy to restore. I know its not any of my bussiness but I thought it would make it easier on the mods if you did this. I know that bondings could code something like this and all. I thought it would probley be cool if you could allow it to where certain non-mods could view it also so like if i spammed a post and wanted to see what i spammed i could veiw it so i know what i did and could better on my posts.

Just an idea. I know its probley going to get shot down but hey i tried. Just think about it though.
wumingsden
Blaster wrote:
Well i mod a ipb bored and like the whole hide posts thing. Its where only moderaters and admins can see posts. That way you know where the posts goes and all. It helps out when users have questions about there post and is really easy to restore. I know its not any of my bussiness but I thought it would make it easier on the mods if you did this. I know that bondings could code something like this and all. I thought it would probley be cool if you could allow it to where certain non-mods could view it also so like if i spammed a post and wanted to see what i spammed i could veiw it so i know what i did and could better on my posts.

Just an idea. I know its probley going to get shot down but hey i tried. Just think about it though.

Thought about.
The suggestion won't be implemented. Staff members can see all posts of the forum, including deleted ones. We are the only one's that need to see these. If a user is spamming, they won't recieve the chance to improve on their posting because they will be banned without a warning. If a user needs to improve on their post quality, then examples are given in the user topic that was created for them in their warning, using exact quotes which justify the reasonsing behind the warning.

Is there any other method that a hide posts feature could be useful?
Blaster
Well i know we use it because sometimes we see a post as not being fitting for a topic or what ever so we hide it and will pm the user. If the user has to say something about that that will make the post fit in that forum then we will un-hide it. It really has many good ideas to it.

What i mean is like say i post something about Pennsylvania in a thread about Texas. And i say something that relates to Texas but you don't know that but someone from Pennsylvania and Texas does. Then you can hide it and talk with a user to see why they did this. Then the user can explain themselves.

Yes it might be more hassle then its worth. But it really helps out the forum that i mod on. You really just have to make it your own.
wumingsden
Blaster wrote:
Well i know we use it because sometimes we see a post as not being fitting for a topic or what ever so we hide it and will pm the user. If the user has to say something about that that will make the post fit in that forum then we will un-hide it. It really has many good ideas to it.

What i mean is like say i post something about Pennsylvania in a thread about Texas. And i say something that relates to Texas but you don't know that but someone from Pennsylvania and Texas does. Then you can hide it and talk with a user to see why they did this. Then the user can explain themselves.

Yes it might be more hassle then its worth. But it really helps out the forum that i mod on. You really just have to make it your own.

Still not a great use i.e - more hassle than it's worth. If a thread/post is in the wrong place we take it upon ourselves to move it, usually without persosally informing the user, altohugh most of us usually leave a little note, like ...

Quote:
Edit by Wumingsden: Moved from the xxxx forum to the xxxx forum

I don't think it will come into great use into either the two ways you mentioned. Any other scenarios in which it could be proved useful?
Blaster
I'm sure that you can find someway to use it. I thought it was a hassle at first but it really made things easier. It takes away the idea to have to move a topic/thread. It also makes it so that you don't need a trash forum and all. It all just gets hidden and all. I don't know what your trash thread looks like but i know on a forum i worked on we had to say why it was moved and everything and then tell what forum we got it from and all. So i found this to be really easy. I guess its one of those things where you have to use it before you really understand how easy it really can be.
wumingsden
Hmmm, I'm kind of liking the sound of it now, although Steve still won't implement it.

The MOD that you use, how does it work? Are the posts hidden by mods/admins? When posts are hidden, are mods/admins the only people that see it?

I slightly like the idea because it can indeed replace a "Trash Can" forum. The advantage is it keeps single posts (that have been split to a trash forum) in context because it is still in the actual thread, just hidden. Also, does it work for posts and threads, or just posts?
Blaster
It will hide both posts and threads. It works for both of them. Yes they are hidden by mods and admins. Mods and admins are the only ones that can see it
wumingsden
gone off the idea slightly, don't know why. It will be pretty simple to edit to allow the poster to also see the hidden posts.
Blaster
The best bet is personaly to try it yourself. I'll see what i can do to be able to let someone try it out and all on the forum i moderate on. Then you can try it out for yourself. Very Happy