FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I've had it with php-nuke, time to say goodbye

Maka
It's time to say good bye to it once and for all, the constant security updates do my head in and patching, the latest patch screwed up my site Evil or Very Mad , now it looks like crap, php-nuke is a pain in the ass!, im now going to just have a stand alone phpbb forum that wont do my head in. Very Happy

r.i.p. phpnuke
simplyw00x
Your fault for starting with it. Any kind of 'Duh I'm a moron who can't spend 5 minutes making my own bloody website' tool is bound to be bad news. On that note, the following are the devil in disguise:

WYSIWYG editors
Table-based layouts
Online logo creators
Online anything creators
PHPNuke
Drupal
Wordpress
Blogger
(etc. etc..... basically any non-custom CMS)

Using any of the above nukes any kind of professional image you're trying to promote for your website. It's like having a hotmail address for business, or making blatant spelling errors on your page. The above are to real website tools what MSN Spaces are to actual websites.
htmlmaster
I suggest you use SMF instead of PHPBB, its got WAY easier modifications, very cool styles (so does PHPBB...), free (that's obvious), and I find it easier to maintain.[/url]
Maka
I'm now trying xoops, it's kicks php-nukes ass!.
blueknot
Phpnuke has its fans and haters.

i am not suprised. but seriously, their lack of design and always the same type of layout just make me creep & cry aloud.

so forelong, phpuke
johner69
if you want a good CMS use NDPS http://www.npds.org .The new version is up to date and very fine
Deckard
Like Johner69 said, try www.ndsp.com or the PHPBB portal.

PHPBB is a lot easier since many people know the forum (like Frihost), you will find a lot of free portal www.PHPBB.com ou www.PHPBB-fr.com.

www.phpbbhacks.com has a lot of features, hacks, mods, add-on, templates... You should find everything there.
blackant
If you are using cms, try mambo.
They are very cool, and especially the admin control. Wink

imho, they have a future.
phpnuke is history.. Razz
ChunkyBustout
Currently I'm trying both Mambo and GeekLog. Mambo is the most customizable, imho, and GeekLog has just what I want without having to customize as much. I'm still torn between the two but I think they are both very good for my purposes.
Tiger
ChunkyBustout wrote:
Currently I'm trying both Mambo and GeekLog. Mambo is the most customizable, imho, and GeekLog has just what I want without having to customize as much. I'm still torn between the two but I think they are both very good for my purposes.

I used to use Mambo, and I thought it was quite good, because it was fairly easy to maintain, and you can add almost endless modules and components to extend its functionality.

The only problem is, that like almost all CMSes and Portals, it has a lot of restrictions - usually a two or three column format with Polls, News, etc. Not every website needs that kind of 'look' or restrictive design.

I've spent about three years trying out different CMSes and a couple of portals. Most of the time, I've used Mambo. Recently however, I've discovered something I think is better, because it fits into you design, and not the other way around. It's very tiring having to design a template that works the way your CMS works. Modifying skins and templates to fit a particular CMS is also very tiring!

Anyway, as I was saying, I have just swithced to the Etomite CMS, which pretty much fits in with my own design. I believe there is already an advanced fork of Etomite, but I'll stick with Etomite for now.

I have spent just as much time looking for a good forum package and a good download manager. For the moment, I'm using the Olate download manager, and as for forums, I really like SMF in terms of features, but it's lacking in the skins department! So I've decided to use MyBB instead.

That said, I've suddenly decided I want a good Wiki on my site. Why? Because it will allow me to create a good documentation system for my site. The power of Wiki is incredible, especially if you can limit editing to validated users. I love the concept, and I'm looking for a good script right now!

If you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it! I'm looking for something small, than can be wrapped/included right into my existing site.
aloSegun2
PhpNuke would help`if you don't wanna work 2 hard, so it's not as customizable as other CMS, if you want style, use the french npds or spip. If you're 2 worried about building a site wich fits to your needs, then WHY don't you try write the script by yourself? you'll find that is not so hard, also there's plenty of scripts 2 help you in this journey(phpfreaks,php resource,etc)
aloSegun2
PhpNuke would help`if you don't wanna work 2 hard, so it's not as customizable as other CMS, if you want style, use the french npds or spip. If you're 2 worried about building a site wich fits to your needs, then WHY don't you try write the script by yourself? you'll find that is not so hard, also there's plenty of scripts 2 help you in this journey(phpfreaks,php resource,etc)
anhstar
I have played around with some CMS and I must say, Xoops is the one to get, the forum is always active so you can ask question, the CMS itself is secure and easy enouf to get a website up and running in mins. Many add on, many features. Also, the CMS is fast, unlike other CMS.

Xoops require a mysql database, php of course. They now have 2 up to date version for php4 and php5.
Arcath
e107 is the way 2 go, i personally think mambo, xoops, php nuke look tacky