FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux on external hard drive question.

Dougie1
I was thinking about buying an external hard drive and was wondering if it was possible to install a full version of Linux on it so I could simply just carry my OS around with me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
qscomputing
It's probably possible. Try something like the following (NB. NOT TESTED):

Plug in external hard disk.
Run Linux install. Partition and install to external HD.
Install grub or lilo onto external HD.
Create a boot disk that will pass off the boot process onto this external HD.

Bear in mind that it probably won't work very well after it's done, because installed Linux distros probably won't like the changing hardware. Good alternatives include a live CD which will save settings onto a flash disk (IIRC Mandriva Move does this) or simply a laptop.
djclue917
Dougie1 wrote:
I was thinking about buying an external hard drive and was wondering if it was possible to install a full version of Linux on it so I could simply just carry my OS around with me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Yes. That is very possible. In fact, you can opt to install a lightweight Linux distro in a flash drive with a decent capacity. Well, you can try Yellow Dog Linux or Damn Small Linux or any other Linux distro that you would prefer. I think the key to this is the hardware autodetection of a particular distro. Anyway, I think any typical Linux distro today would be shipping UDev along with it.
drag0n
Why buy a hard disk for that purpose? There are alot of live linux distros you can run from a CD or Usb or something similar. (For example slax http://www.slax.org/)

You can fill the cd up with modules of your choice, you can use a RW cd or DVD and modify it all the time. It's very easy to do and would surely cost you less then a brand new HDD. I was using a slax cd for a few months now. (at school, the library, and at home) And i am very much satisfied with what it has to offer. There are alot of linux distros that are made for the purpos of being portable (knoppix, slax...) and others are possible to be turned into a live distro (ubuntu)

I would advise you to use a live distro for a while and if you like it keep it, if you don't like it keep to a non-live os. If you still like the idea and don't like how it's done with live distros THEN try a portable hdd.

Cheers.
lukeropro
If you run a live distro it'll be slower as the computer needs to read from the disk. I recommend installing linux if you want to use for a long period of time.
qscomputing
But if you want it to be portable and usable on other people's computers, then a live distro is pretty much the only choice. Just check with the owner of the computer before using. Smile