FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are FriHost hosting services really the key to my success?

Captain Fertile
After having a serious look around for new hosting for my new venture I have discovered that FriHost really is one of the best options out there (both in what features and services it offers and the level of support available), add to this the fact it is free it is really exciting to me.

I plan to have a domain name (or names) attached to the FriHost web space and to my external email (unless FriHost can better this too), a forum and apart from that anything would be a bonus.

What I need from you guys is your opinions on FriHost’s performance as a business hosting solution.

Can FriHost suit my business needs in all areas?

One area that concerns me is server stability, no point having a website out there is people can’t access when they want to. I have noticed a few people unhappy at server down times etc, but I don’t know how typical this is.

Also the forums, are the forums attached to FriHost free hosting any good – the forum will be a big and very important part of my site – will I be able to run a good forum that visitors will want to join and actually invest their time in?

I really don’t fancy spending a huge amount of time and energy creating a pleasing (I would hope, exceptional) forum experience and then having to do it again on a new host because FriHost was not up to the task.

I am as green as grass when it comes to running a forum but want to learn and as long as FriHost hosting as is good as all the other aspects of their service I have thus far used I suspect a long and rewarding partnership for all involved.

So, business users please give me the low down (warts and all) in your FriHost experience when it comes to running a Professional* website.

*I mean something run professionally, not a personal homepage with pictures of your pet mouse etc.

Anyone out there actually running a successful web business through FriHost?

Any help and advice from FriHost members (and mods too) would be most welcome.

Many thanks

The Captain
LukeakaDanish
There are no forums "tied" to the hosting - but installing any package (like phpBB, SMF or MyBB) is very simple - and there are even people on the marketplace who will do it for you for a price!

My experience: Frihost is good as a testing ground for projects, before they are junked or moved to a pro host. Also frihost is good for stuff like personal sites, blogs etc.

For professional projects where customers will be expecting to be able to access the page 24/7 it isn't too good in my opinion - the uptime just isn't good enough.

- the good thing is there are no expenses involved with frihosting, so you just cant go wrong!
Captain Fertile
THanks for that(fast reply too), your idea for using FriHost as a test bed was was something that crossed my mind.

If I did this using a forum would I be able to transfer the forum I have worked on to a paid hosting solution or would I jhave to start it all again from scratch?

I kind of though that the forum may have been included because so many FriHosters have forums on their sites.

I like your suggestion about maybe paying for the help of an experienced FriHoster to get the forum running smoothly before I wade in and destroy it. Smile

Anyone else got an oppinion?
LukeakaDanish
Captain Fertile wrote:
THanks for that(fast reply too), your idea for using FriHost as a test bed was was something that crossed my mind.

If I did this using a forum would I be able to transfer the forum I have worked on to a paid hosting solution or would I jhave to start it all again from scratch?

I kind of though that the forum may have been included because so many FriHosters have forums on their sites.

I like your suggestion about maybe paying for the help of an experienced FriHoster to get the forum running smoothly before I wade in and destroy it. Smile

Anyone else got an oppinion?

Yes, you will be able to transfer it and get it working on any other host with mySQL and php within minutes (thats any good host)
Bondings
As you are able to take backups and export your mysql database, it should be very easy to export all this to a different host. If they use DirectAdmin, it's just a matter of taking a backup and restoring it there. Otherwise you should transfer your files, create a database there and upload your forum database into it. You'll also have to change the database password(s)/username(s).

Please also note that the dns transfer of a domain can take several hours to a day (depending on your registrar and caching of isps). But you can keep your site hosted at both locations in the meanwhile.
Seiji
Frihost is good. I've been taking Web Design in school and just decided to start my own page. I used Geocities before but the 5mb transfer was horrendous.
JJGY
For me, it's a great solution. Server space is very inexpensive these days, but even then I don't have the means to pay for it.

About the forum, creating and maintaining one is very easy these days. I suggest Simple Machines Forum, due to it's cleaner look and the seamless integration with most Content Management Systems. I use Joomla with it myself, and it works great.
Captain Fertile
JJGY wrote:
For me, it's a great solution. Server space is very inexpensive these days, but even then I don't have the means to pay for it.

About the forum, creating and maintaining one is very easy these days. I suggest Simple Machines Forum, due to it's cleaner look and the seamless integration with most Content Management Systems. I use Joomla with it myself, and it works great.

I am going to check out Simple Machines Forum too because of your recommendation I will also look at Joomla to find ut what that does.

As I said earlier, I am a novice to all of this and it will be a steep learning curve but I may need some of this to create the site I want. Thanks for your suggestions JJGY.
Scorpio
Quote:
Can FriHost suit my business needs in all areas?

Depends I would say, on the size you expect your business to grow or if you solely will depend on the website for your business' growth

Quote:
One area that concerns me is server stability, no point having a website out there is people can’t access when they want to. I have noticed a few people unhappy at server down times etc, but I don’t know how typical this is.

I am no happier at Server 2 than many others are. Frankly, it is a bit of letdown.
Yesterday I was modifying a few stuff in my blog. The connection to server was lost for around 1-2 mins every 30 mins. That may sound small, but to a business site , it makes all the difference between you getting a sale and not getting it

People certainly dont waste time on a site that doesnt work and also you would have lost out on the valuable "first impression"

Quote:
Also the forums, are the forums attached to FriHost free hosting any good – the forum will be a big and very important part of my site – will I be able to run a good forum that visitors will want to join and actually invest their time in?

There are no forums attached on server 2. But it is for the best, as manual installations are the best way to go. You have the option of modifying stuff easily and also you learn a lot by this/
I recommend SMF or phpBB. SMF for elegance and that smooth look (also has a decent amount of features)
Phpbb for features(mods and the like) But it lacks the elegance of SMF.

Both are good in performance though.

As for people wanting to join the forums, it depends on the level of support for your business you are willing to offer.
It is always an advantage to have the company interacting directly with the customers.

Your effort would be commendable if you are able to successfully able to implement all these features in your site.
But, yes, it will be a terrible blow to you and your business because of an unreliable server which does not seem to be getting any reliable inspite of all the efforts by Bondings.

The forums can be transferred simply by transferring the databases and you can set it up at any other host should frihost be unsuitable.
Remember to backup any stuff regularly.

If you are looking for a content management system(in the case that you cant design professional sites on your own) you can try Joomla or php nuke.

You will also notice that there exists a Joomla SMF bridge, indicating that both the installations can be connected to one another. Thus registering at one place would enable you to access the features of the main site(on Joomla) and the forums(on SMF)

If your business solely depends on the website then frihost would be somewhat a risk.
If not you can start of with frihost and as your business and site expands you can take it to another host with greater space etc.

Cheers
scorpio
Captain Fertile
@scorpio

Thanks for the thoughts. All of what you said made a lot of sense.

The website would be my business so a dependable server is a must.

As for the size of the business, well it would be a labour of love in the beginning and if anything bigger comes of it that would be good.

Even though I want the site to appear to be a hobby rather than a slick business I want to instill confidence among users that it is run like a good business and is dependable, professional and a site to trust.

I wasn't aware of Joomla until a couple of posts ago and don't really know what it does but it seems to offer some kind of functionality mu users might like.

I feel like I am about to take a step into a whole new world. Its exciting but pretty scary.
Manofgames
Don't worry Capin Very Happy

It does seem a humungous step from nothing to try to do everything, but everyone starts somewhere, even the guys who made the web had to start somewhere Very Happy

Joomla is good, but when I used it, I found that most of the mods out there are commercial only, and I found it difficult to get away from the drab way its laid out Sad .

try http://www.opensourcecms.com/ to see all of the free cms' available.

I will pm you some info.......