FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bandwidth and data rates on internet connection

mike_phi
Hi there I was wondering if anybody knows where I can find a good doc for learning how to calculate Bandwidth against traffic with respect to connection speed.

basically I am trying to quantify how much traffic to allow on my server in order to have desent upload and download speeds, so I figured if I had a good grip on the understanding of the above mentioned terms this might help me.

So if you know of any references I could use or any other information would be great.

cheers
djclue917
mike_phi wrote:
Hi there I was wondering if anybody knows where I can find a good doc for learning how to calculate Bandwidth against traffic with respect to connection speed.

Uh, what exactly do you mean about "calculating the bandwidth against traffic with respect to connection speed"? If you are referring to bandwidth as channel capacity or the amount of data that can be transmitted through a network per unit time, then the bandwidth is already the connected speed.

Technically speaking, bandwidth is simply a range of frequencies. Or simply put, the difference between the highest possible frequency and the lowest possible frequency, thus the name bandwidth--width of the frequency band.

Traffic can also be considered as analogous to bandwidth and connection speed because traffic is "the amount of something that passes through something at a particular point in time".

Honestly, I don't understand you.

Quote:
basically I am trying to quantify how much traffic to allow on my server in order to have desent upload and download speeds, so I figured if I had a good grip on the understanding of the above mentioned terms this might help me.

What "server" are you referring to? Is it like a gateway that connects your network to the Internet or something like that?

I think you are referring to traffic shaping... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_shaping