FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Uploading flash files

Ester
I am in the process of updating my website, but I am having trouble with flash files. When I view them in my web editing software (and I have tried a few) the flash shows up fine, but when I upload the files either by FTP or directly through admin and access the files through internet explorer the flash doesn't show up. If I then look at the file through direct admin it shows up. Can anyone show any light on this, there must be something that I'm missing but just can't see it.
LukeakaDanish
Just checking:

Your flash files are .swf and not .fla right? (i.e. you have exported them before uploading)
askchris
Just a quick thought but you could check that you are uploading them to public_html and not private_html. It is an easy mistake to make.
Ester
LukeakaDanish wrote:
Just checking:

Your flash files are .swf and not .fla right? (i.e. you have exported them before uploading)

I have uploaded the swf file to my image director and uploaded my index file. What exactly do you mean by exporting them, this could be my mistake.
Ester
askchris wrote:
Just a quick thought but you could check that you are uploading them to public_html and not private_html. It is an easy mistake to make.

Just checked to see if my files are in public_html.
I have two websites one of them is under publc_html the other one which I'm having the problem with is one level up from that. If this is the reason why my swf file is not showing up, how do I set the two sites up?. I woulc be grateful of any help, as I'm still learning and by the looks of things I have a long way to go.
Animal
Ester wrote:
I have two websites one of them is under publc_html the other one which I'm having the problem with is one level up from that. If this is the reason why my swf file is not showing up, how do I set the two sites up?. I woulc be grateful of any help, as I'm still learning and by the looks of things I have a long way to go.

Each site has it's own public_html directory. If you want to set up another site, you need to log into DirectAdmin, hit Domain Management and add a new domain. However, you are only allowed one website with a .frih.net extension - if you want a second domain and don't have an actual domain name, you'll need to add a subdomain to your existing Frihost site (via Subdomain Management in DirectAdmin). To upload files to this subdomain, upload files to domains/yourdomain.frih.net/public_html/subdomain/
Ester
Animal wrote:
Ester wrote:

Each site has it's own public_html directory. If you want to set up another site, you need to log into DirectAdmin, hit Domain Management and add a new domain. However, you are only allowed one website with a .frih.net extension - if you want a second domain and don't have an actual domain name, you'll need to add a subdomain to your existing Frihost site (via Subdomain Management in DirectAdmin). To upload files to this subdomain, upload files to domains/yourdomain.frih.net/public_html/subdomain/

I have two websites and both have their own domain name, I have had these sites for about ten months now with no trouble. It was only when I tried to change my page header swf file that I started having problems. All I did was in web page maker I right clicked on my swf file and changed it for another file on my computer.
Ester
Why are my points staying the same I have made three posts and they all same the same and the number of posts have stayed the same as well.
Animal
Ester wrote:
Why are my points staying the same I have made three posts and they all same the same and the number of posts have stayed the same as well.

I've just tested your account and it's working fine - you are gaining the correct number of points for your posts.

I don't understand what you meant when you said:
Quote:
I have two websites one of them is under publc_html the other one which I'm having the problem with is one level up from that.

If you have 2 domains registered on Frihost, you will have 2 public_html directories - one for each domain. If the file is not inside a public_html folder, it will not be visible to internet users. I think you must be loading the file into the wrong folder.
Ester
Animal wrote:
Ester wrote:

I've just tested your account and it's working fine - you are gaining the correct number of points for your posts.

I don't understand what you meant when you said:
Quote:
I have two websites one of them is under publc_html the other one which I'm having the problem with is one level up from that.

If you have 2 domains registered on Frihost, you will have 2 public_html directories - one for each domain. If the file is not inside a public_html folder, it will not be visible to internet users. I think you must be loading the file into the wrong folder.

Thanks for the information, I have checked my file structure and found that when I uploaded the files I had in fact put them in the wrong folder, I have now moved all the files to their correct place and I can now see my swf header. I'm still learning, but the best way is through a mistake. Thanks again