FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows System Administrator's Tools

Sysinfo
Hi All

I thought it might be helpful/interesting to open a topic on the tools used to solve everyday System Administration issues. Please only add tools that you have actually used and give a short description as to their purpose and use.

Expand the C: (and other partitions )

For this I have found the tool Acronis Partition Expert 2003 really helpful. It requires a reboot or 2 but it is really handy when you run out of space on the C: (or any partition) and need an easy way to add some space.
Really easy to use too Laughing
badai
you should never make system partition too small in the first place. with all the swap & temporary files, it might be too late to enlarge it later.
Sysinfo
I agree,but while that is great advice in an ideal situation, in a working environment there are times when your space requirements simply outgrow the planning you did in the past.
But the point is that with this tool you are never too late as you can always extend the C: quickly and with no loss of data.
This is what makes this tool so handy.
DVNT
Hi Sysinfo

Good topic! Very Happy
Always nice to have more clubs in the bag.
I have one that I use quite often. It's Sysinternal Process explorer. Really great if you need to get down deep into a process. Really nice feature is that it highlights the newly created processes mking it easy to find out what is happening behind he scenes when you run a program.

DVNT
TomS
Process Explorer is great. It's my standard taskmanager
ResourceHacker is good to edit dll's or exe's.
Sysinfo
Just found another beauty that will definately become a permanent member in my toolbox.
"Attachment Alarm"
Scans outgoing emails for user specified keywords ('attachments', "please find attached",etc) and generates a popup if it finds a keyword but no attached attachment.

Presto Embarassed No more empty emails sent out
TimmyS
sysinternals are a great and trusworthy crew! process monitor is a merging of regmon and filemon, great little tool for registry process and file access and surveilance, highly reccommended.

*****, 10/10 etc..........

(As you can see i like it)
MrBlueSky
DVNT wrote:
Hi Sysinfo

Good topic! Very Happy
Always nice to have more clubs in the bag.
I have one that I use quite often. It's Sysinternal Process explorer. Really great if you need to get down deep into a process. Really nice feature is that it highlights the newly created processes mking it easy to find out what is happening behind he scenes when you run a program.

DVNT

They have a lot of handy, free utilities:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx
danjoy
I find using 'msconfig' from the run option of the start menu very usefull.

It allows you to change a lot of settings to do with your startup, inlcuding removing programs that you don't want to run when windows starts. Very usefull if you get a virus which keeps recreating settings in the registry when the machine restarts.
HollyChris
The tool I find myself using at work is belarc. It can be downloaded from www.belarc.com. If I must use it at work I always uninstall it when I'm done. What this tool does is scans your computer for hardware and software and gives you a nice little report. I use it when I have an older model computer that I don't have drivers for. So I do the scan and find the motherboard then go to the motherboard's website directly to find drivers for the onboard devices.