FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mac OS Classic

sunjay
Hi,

I've got a macintosh with Mac OS X installed but no classic support.

I want to install Mac Classic on the machine and I would like to know if it is possible to install Classic using the Mac OS 9.2.2 installation CD.

James
{name here}
sunjay wrote:
Hi,

I've got a macintosh with Mac OS X installed but no classic support.

I want to install Mac Classic on the machine and I would like to know if it is possible to install Classic using the Mac OS 9.2.2 installation CD.

James

If you have an Intel mac it is absolutely impossible to install Mac OS 9.2.2 on there because PearPC does not support Mac OS 9 at all and SheepShaver, the only other PowerPC emulator out there I know of, will not install anything over 9.0.1 due to issues with the Memory Management Unit in the macintosh. I believe that the carbon library should be able to render your old classic applications okay, though, IIRC. I don't own a mac, I just know a lot about its emulation.
corey
That's a really good question. Have you asked Apple?
sunjay
Hi,

I've got a G3 mac, not the latest intel ones. Ad i am sure that it can support classic.

I've been to apple's site and all apple tells you to do is install off a package cd that comes with the OS or the computer, eg, "restoration Disc" or the "recovery disc".

The problem is, i havent got that disc with classic on it but i do have the Mac OS 9.2.2 install disc and i want to know if there is a way to install classic support on to the Mac OS X 10.4.8 operating system.

James
Sergiy
I like the Mac desing and I will maybe have iMac
kiranaghor
I had mac os 9.2 but I deleted it coz my iBook has only 18 GB hard disk drive. And all my needs are fulfilled by os x tiger.
{name here}
sunjay wrote:
Hi,

I've got a G3 mac, not the latest intel ones. Ad i am sure that it can support classic.

I've been to apple's site and all apple tells you to do is install off a package cd that comes with the OS or the computer, eg, "restoration Disc" or the "recovery disc".

The problem is, i havent got that disc with classic on it but i do have the Mac OS 9.2.2 install disc and i want to know if there is a way to install classic support on to the Mac OS X 10.4.8 operating system.

James

Only early version of OS X contain classic support. Later ones won't run the thing, however they do contain or have the ability to have libraries that will run your old classic software you want to run. If you really want to install Mac OS 9 onto your G3, your only bet besides downgrading your version would be to pop on SheepShaver and emulate an earlier version of MacOS like MacOS 9.0.1.