FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Not sure if I should laugh or cry

calicamper
I realize this is a spoof, and that hours of film was taken before they got these abysmal results, but the fact that they were able to get people to respond this way is sad. I realize that we Americans have a bad rep for being uninformed, but anyone with a camera can go to any country and with enough time and find people willing to ridicule themselves.

http://www.shoutfile.com/v/gSfSsCpR/Why_People_Believe_Americans_Are_Stupid
Soulfire
See, the problem is for every "idiot" they filmed, there were 20 people who answered correctly. They just chose to leave that little fact out, giving you an unfair representation. Even if it is a spoof, it can give people a bad idea. Just read the comments that people are leaving. Things like this give people bad impressions, false impressions.
chrismen
This was so funny but it did make me a bit sad. Sure there were probably a lot of people who got those right but they still found so so many idiots...
LukeakaDanish
calicamper wrote:
I realize this is a spoof, and that hours of film was taken before they got these abysmal results, but the fact that they were able to get people to respond this way is sad. I realize that we Americans have a bad rep for being uninformed, but anyone with a camera can go to any country and with enough time and find people willing to ridicule themselves.

http://www.shoutfile.com/v/gSfSsCpR/Why_People_Believe_Americans_Are_Stupid

That was friggin hilarious - I'm sure even 10/10 uneducated afghan people could answer the "sides in a triangle" question...

In fact, this is so stupid I cant possibly believe it...I'm 100% confident this is a setup. Otherwise it really MUST be true that America really has some of the dumbest people - some very clever ones too, and a load of normal people...but those people there seriously failed questions that the average 5 year old would have no problem in clearing.
Bondings
These kind of things may be real, but require quite a lot of people to be interviewed, depending on the country and exact location. Just go to a random crowded place in a small village and ask a few questions to the people there, pretending to do a questionnaire. You would be surprised if you hear their answers.

Is the earth round or flat?
What is the capital of the USA and [insert your country]?
Who is Tony Blair?
How many years are there in a century?
LukeakaDanish
Bondings wrote:
These kind of things may be real, but require quite a lot of people to be interviewed, depending on the country and exact location. Just go to a random crowded place in a small village and ask a few questions to the people there, pretending to do a questionnaire. You would be surprised if you hear their answers.

Is the earth round or flat?
What is the capital of the USA and [insert your country]?
Who is Tony Blair?
How many years are there in a century?

Apart from the first one of those four, wrong answers can be put down to some stupidity and quite a bit of ignorance and inability to remember stuff...

But "How many sides in a triangle?" - with answers including "4" and "There aren't any" - that seams pretty damn stupid to me...
Captain Fertile
I don't think that is fair but I know many Americans who would agree that the US population does not look beyond its borders as much as it should. But I guess thats what being pretty self-sufficient means.

Now its own up time -

Have to admint if a stranger came up to me claiming to be the PM of Australia I would have to believe him (or even her).

Says nothing about how dumb I am. In fact it could just prove how unimportant the Austaralian PM is to me (or Americans, or the world).

Took me a few seconds to think of a country beginning with U - then came up with Uganda when in fact I would have been laughed at for not saying United States or even UK (which is not a country but a collection of countries).

Also, the question about the coalition of the willing, I didn't know the answer. Looked it up and it was basically what I have always called simply the coalition due to the fact that is what the media called it - may be the same in the USA.

I have an IQ of 125 but 'intelligence' is not the same as common sense (or general knowledge)

I'm not American by the way, I am British - I'm not American but I may be dumb! Rolling Eyes
Hogwarts
Captain Fertile wrote:
I don't think that is fair but I know many Americans who would agree that the US population does not look beyond its borders as much as it should. But I guess thats what being pretty self-sufficient means.

Now its own up time -

Have to admint if a stranger came up to me claiming to be the PM of Australia I would have to believe him (or even her).

Says nothing about how dumb I am. In fact it could just prove how unimportant the Austaralian PM is to me (or Americans, or the world).

Took me a few seconds to think of a country beginning with U - then came up with Uganda when in fact I would have been laughed at for not saying United States or even UK (which is not a country but a collection of countries).

Also, the question about the coalition of the willing, I didn't know the answer. Looked it up and it was basically what I have always called simply the coalition due to the fact that is what the media called it - may be the same in the USA.

I have an IQ of 125 but 'intelligence' is not the same as common sense (or general knowledge)

I'm not American by the way, I am British - I'm not American but I may be dumb! Rolling Eyes

I would agree with you, and acknowledge that Australia is a small country. I'm not going to say all Americans are stupid, but there is a minority from everywhere that can't tell the difference between a monkey and a cheetah. I am going to say though, that many Americans are ignorant to alot of the world. They make too many assumptions about people. For example, when I talk to people over the internet and say I'm Australian, they come up with something along the lines of "Crikey" (RIP) or "Throw another shrimp on the barbie". The least I can say is that our tourism ads are working... (Although I prefer "[url=http://www.lyricsmagnet.com/song/SCARED+WEIRD+LITTLE+GUYS/DEADLY+ANIMALS+(COME+TO+AUSTRALIA)_lyrics_gszzgb.html]Come to Australia, you might accidentally get killed[/url]")

Another thing is that Americans are only told one side of wars... Theirs. The media is telling the American people what they want to hear... Otherwise they won't listen, as there is alot of competition over there for everything Sad

(By the way, my IQ is only 137, and seeing as the average is only 100, you're smarter then alot of people Smile)