FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Basic CSS help needed regarding IE vs FF

outofnicks
I'm a newbie with CSS, can someone tell me the best way to keep the header image at the top in IE, like it's shown with Firefox and almost all other browsers please? Take a peek:

http://www.kengrunke.frih.net/jamied/revindex.html

The CSS file is linked in the menu to make it easy to view.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help!
LukeakaDanish
Let me start by saying it works perfectly in my IE7, and my IE6 is kinda dodgy, so I cant guarantee I can help you.

What i suggest you do, is change the order of elements in the source, placing the right_side div AFTER the center once, rather than before it.
outofnicks
Good to hear that the newer IE shows it OK, your advice was a good step in the right direction. I am using IE6 in Wine, under Linux.
Cleaning up the code a bit and adding the content encoding probably didn't hurt either, but now the right column hangs down at the bottom. Ack, back to the manual Smile
LukeakaDanish
outofnicks wrote:
Good to hear that the newer IE shows it OK, your advice was a good step in the right direction. I am using IE6 in Wine, under Linux.
Cleaning up the code a bit and adding the content encoding probably didn't hurt either, but now the right column hangs down at the bottom. Ack, back to the manual Smile

Now move the content div up ONE LINE (so its above the last </div>)
outofnicks
Quote:

Can you clarify that for me, please? I'm stumped! I've tried all sorts of possibilities, and I can have either the header where I want or the right column where I want, but not both in IE6.

Seems that in one case, the float property only allows the right column to start below the center column, and not next to it. And in the other case, the right column is up where I want it, but the header image isn't.

I have some good tutorials at hand, but my 50-something-year-old mind is having a bit of trouble grasping the logic of CSS.
I appreciate your help, thanks!
LukeakaDanish
outofnicks wrote:
Quote:

Can you clarify that for me, please? I'm stumped! I've tried all sorts of possibilities, and I can have either the header where I want or the right column where I want, but not both in IE6.

Seems that in one case, the float property only allows the right column to start below the center column, and not next to it. And in the other case, the right column is up where I want it, but the header image isn't.

I have some good tutorials at hand, but my 50-something-year-old mind is having a bit of trouble grasping the logic of CSS.
I appreciate your help, thanks!

They can definitely be "in-line". If they have a combined width less than the content_wrapper (the <div> around them), then you should place them like this:

Code:
content_wrapper

left_side
/left_side
center
/center
right_side
/right_side

/content_wrapper

Then apply float: left to left_side and center and float right to right_side.

I have just noticed you havent set a width for the center element - maybe this, combined with the varying size of <p> margins is making it jump in IE6...but then again, as I still dont have IE6, its kinda hard for me to tell you.

Please input on this everybody :