FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ASUS A8NE-FM ( the chipset fan broke after about a year!)

marrs
Its funny cos last night i finally got my account ...YEPPPPI!!!
I looked forward all day to come home and finally set it up. BUT

The fan for my motherboard chipset had broken!
Spent an hour on Google and found out these older motherboards from ASUS did have a time bomb inside it seems the fans seemed to last for about one year then they pack up.
The thing is a heatsink would be a nice idea BUT the long GT6600 is in the way.So I found that a "Thermaltake Crystal Orb" fan will fit this motherboard heres a link to show an installation.(Not from me)

http://russtanner.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=8793

Gonna buy this ASAP!

Mark
eznet
Don't you just love design failures that you have to pay for in the end?!!
marrs
So I have installed a new fan cost just 5 euro it was the only one they had in the shop,but it fitted:) great
BUT I checked the temp of the chipset with bios and its between 20-35°c,thats also ok BUT what i need is some software which we allwo me to monitor my temperatures once windows has booted up.

Thanks mark
diduknowthat
Look for Everest, it tells you a bunch of information regarding your computer. Also speedfan does a great job too.
marrs
diduknowthat wrote:
Look for Everest, it tells you a bunch of information regarding your computer. Also speedfan does a great job too.

Dear 'diduknowthat'
I have the EVEREST http://www.lavalys.com/ installed and I am VERY happy.
Its a beautifull program with every possible information about your computer.
What I found was nice is that beside each items theres usually an option to upgrade the drivers/bios with a direct link taking you there.

Simple
And
Effective

Thanks
Mark
eznet
marrs wrote:

I have the EVEREST http://www.lavalys.com/ installed and I am VERY happy.
Its a beautiful program with every possible information about your computer.
What I found was nice is that beside each items theres usually an option to upgrade the drivers/bios with a direct link taking you there.

I have never played with that one before. I am a cheapskate and always go for the free ones - which, as free usually implies, are lacking in a lot of the features. Also, I am using my old R3240 (compaq laptop) as my primary computer and its chipset/motherboard offers little in way of monitoring sensors... bleh, compaq... Can't wait for another one Smile
marrs
Ok its time to replace this cheap fan.
I was wondering what would you recommend I have max 12mm height due to the long GT6600.I diffinetly don't have room for a heatsink so is one fan much better than an other or shall I stick with what I have?
dule
go buy yourself a Thermalright HR-05 SLI (!!!) passive cooler... it keeps my nForce4 at constant 40C. SLI because your graphic card is in the way so the pipes would go under it.

see what i mean: http://www.jab-tech.com/xcart/product_images/detailed/d_3055.jpg

Its passive so it makes no noise.

its not cheap though, in my country it was like 25$.

and one more thing, if u go and buy this cooler, adjust it to motherboard with something other then the supplied push-pins, because they dont hold very well. I used the screws from my VF700, they fit perfectly.
jay84h
I don't have a chipset fan on my mobo, nor do I need one. Since I have a heat pipe Smile
marrs
Ok just before the guaranty ran out the the computer seemed to stop working.
It has been sent back to Fujitsu headquarters in Germany
Our computer is not even two years old and its broken.We payed a lot of money for it and we are very mad

the computer is /was a Fujitsu Scaleo Athlon 64×2 3800+.

It all started after the fan on the motherboard packed up after only a year,I replaced it and it was fine.The other night I shut the computer down and realized in the morning that the optical mouse was getting power from somewhere even though the pc was shut down,so its possible the PSU or another eclectic fault has allowed power to enter the computer without it being fired up,so unfiltered power could mean a total burn out of everything motherboard and all internal applicants,dead!

Funny to think that our old Pentium 3 1GZ is still alive and kicking and Ive done no repairs on it.The old P3 has more ram a better graphics card a diffidently better DvD burner and the best thing is IT WORKS!!!!

We don’t know the conclution and we will be sending the computer to be repaired,luckily the guaranty hasn’t expired.
eznet
marrs wrote:
Ok just before the guaranty ran out the the computer seemed to stop working.
It has been sent back to Fujitsu headquarters in Germany
Our computer is not even two years old and its broken.We payed a lot of money for it and we are very mad

the computer is /was a Fujitsu Scaleo Athlon 64×2 3800+.

It all started after the fan on the motherboard packed up after only a year,I replaced it and it was fine.The other night I shut the computer down and realized in the morning that the optical mouse was getting power from somewhere even though the pc was shut down,so its possible the PSU or another eclectic fault has allowed power to enter the computer without it being fired up,so unfiltered power could mean a total burn out of everything motherboard and all internal applicants,dead!

Funny to think that our old Pentium 3 1GZ is still alive and kicking and Ive done no repairs on it.The old P3 has more ram a better graphics card a diffidently better DvD burner and the best thing is IT WORKS!!!!

We don’t know the conclusion and we will be sending the computer to be repaired,luckily the guaranty hasn’t expired.

It has far more to do with the power supply or motherboard manufacturer (and likely the system assembler/manufacturer, as they often have motherboards made specifically for their purposes) than it has to do with the processor (your old Intel p3 vs your new AMD processor). The types of faults that you describe have nothing to do with the processor, but are specifically related to the other components of the computer.

With "name brand" computers it most often has most to do with the resale/assembly company more than anything else. Most "computer companies" (i.e. Fujitsu, Gateway, Dell, Toshiba, Etc) have the majority of their computer components made specifically for them under contract from component manufactures - in this arrangement, they often have the final say in cost reductions measures (aka inferior components @ a cheaper price (often from companies that make other more expensive components (same is true with all consumer merchandise))) . I know, for example, that HP and Compaq have many of their motherboards manufactured by compal, a smaller company in Taiwan .

But that's capitalism/consumerism; regardless of whether you live in a communist society or a capitalists society - but that's another discussion all together.

side note: if this was in any way interesting to you and you are still actually reading and have been entertained by any of the latter part of this post, check out the same search's results, minus the '2007' part of the query...

Matt
Computer Scientist (in training) Smile
marrs
Thanks very much for this information I haven't gone this far in my research,BUT now I have scanned through a few sites its quite amazing facts.
Also that around five years ago as quoted
Quote:
In the past, each vendor's notebooks were unique, no matter who actually assembled them, because each vendor handled its own design. "Four, five years ago, we did everything in-house," says Marc Jourlait, the director of worldwide market development for HP's Mobile Computer group. "It was all custom design, and the prices were custom prices."

The funny thing is everyone who's been checking the prices of computers the last four to five years we've have seen a massive reduction of prices,price seems to overcome the quality.
So the question is should we build ourselves?
marrs
Yesterday i fired up the compter and came back 10 minutes later and the mouse had frozen,a normal boot error i thought so i restarted the pc and nothing!
A black screen and no signal to the monitor,strange i thought cos seconds before it had compltely booted up.
The thing is if i went and brought a new motherboard my old ddr ram wouldnt fit so i would need more ram also making it an expensive fix.
So im thinking about buying a complete new computer,any thoughts anyone,is it worth sticking anymore money into this beast?

eznet
Have you tried running a Live CD in it like Ubuntu, BartPE or Knoppix? That is one way I always troubleshoot whether a problem is hardware or software. With the CD you can boot up and see how it runs and how long it runs. I like using one of the Linux distros of the aforementioned (Ubuntu or Knoppix) on windows pcs that are having problems so that I can determine the scope of the problem - i.e. two different OS archetectures running the hardware in two (simular but) different ways.

Also, using a utility disk like Hiren's bootdisk can be invaluable when trying to pin down the root of a problem when hardware is involved...

Post back if you need further assistance with troubleshooting.