FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Safely shutting down an external drive

DVNT
Hi all

I have a question concerning how to safely shutdown my external TEAC hard drive.
At the momment all I do is click the Safely Remove Hardware and once my disk is removed here I turn off the disks power.
This however makes a disturbing click sound and I was wondering
a) Am I damaging the disk?
b) Is there any other way to do this that won't damage the disk?

Many thanks in advance.
DVNT
Animal
As long as you use the "safely remove hardware" feature every time, you are not going to damage the hard disk. The click sound is probably caused by the read/write head on your disk returning to the "off" position.
sergio_ykz
The "safely remove hardware" only flush the windows cache to detach the device, I am not sure if it powerdown your device.

The sound (click) is genereted when you shutdown your PC with this device atached?

If yes, its is normal. My hard drive make a similar sound some times.

If not, its is dangerous. You device are not powered down when you unplug it.

The USB is designed to safelly unplug the device at any time. The "safely remove hardware" only flush the windows cache to avoid files open to remain unwrited to disk.
aaahzombies
Yeah, you dont really need to safely remove hardware, although if you are paranoid about your external go right ahead.
Just dont kill the power when you're reading/writing - that can cause bad sectors
TomS
aaahzombies wrote:
Yeah, you dont really need to safely remove hardware, although if you are paranoid about your external go right ahead.
Just dont kill the power when you're reading/writing - that can cause bad sectors

What he said.
safely remove hardware makes sure, that no data is exchanged. No reading and no writing.
mikethm
Ah this is a useful thread to me. I use external harddisk and I was wondering..." is it really necessary to click on "remove hardware safely"... guess I'd better do the clicking then.

But I would like to ask another related question... I also use microSD external storage which I plug into the USB port. It is for transferring music to my mobile phone and transferring data too. Since it is a device with zero movable parts... is it really necessary to click the remove hardware safely icon too for such devices?
Shin
As far as I know, you can power off your USB external drive anytime as long as it's not writing or reading.
the6thfactor
Yep, I don't think I have ever used Safely Remove Hardware once since I've had my external hard drive. Just like everyone else said, not really needed.
DVNT
Hello All

Many thanks for your feedback.
Due to my paranoid nature Smile I will continue with the "safely remove hardware" but with more peace of mind now.

Thanks again.
ganesh
I too get the click sound when I switch off the external hard disk power supply. I think this is nothing to worry about and happens in all disks with movable read / write heads. Probably we have not been hearing it till now because the noise is masked when the hard drive is internal.

By the way, if you explore the Properties options of the removable disk when it is recognized as a drive in Windows, you will find that there is an option to 'not cache disk content for safe device removal' or something similar. If you check that, then, even if you unplug the USB from the computer you wont have any problem with the drive's files and folders, and they will be synchronized as you are expecting them to be.