FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Enders Game by Orson Scott Card

Staggy11
This book is one of my personal favorites. A good science fiction tale, without any heavy and hard to remember politics (well, not many anyways).
An interesting concept, with good strong characters.

Has anyone else read this book, or any of the sequels? If so, what are your views on it?
evanc88
Though Card isn't one of the best writers around I think Ender's Game is a science fiction classic. The sequels that follow (the Shadow series and the other Ender books) are amazing pieces of page-turning literature, too.
TurtleShell
Enders Game is on the list of books that I intend to read before I die--I've heard a lot of good things about it.
Magicman
I read Ender's game a while ago and I remember it being a very good book full of quite a few plot twists. The science fiction of the book is actually somewhat realistic as I remember. Even though the first book was good I do not intend to read the others in the series.
vertigoflow
I read Enders Game a couple years ago, I finished it in a weekend because I was visiting someone and their brother had to read it for school, but was totally not into it.

I really like it up until the end, but I found the ending really unsatisfying. I won't go into any spoilers (for people who haven't read it,) but I thought the ending could've been handled better.

Haven't read any of the sequels thought.
KingPuff
Hmmm, I thought the ending of the book was the best part of it. Card is a great author, I have read two of the sequels to the Ender series, and I want to start reading some of his others.
calicamper
I've read several of his books from this series and I'm a definetly a fan. I tutor 6-8th graders and I almost always assign this book for book reports. It's a quick read and I like hearing the kids interpretations on the treatment and developement of the subjects. His later books get much more involved in the political realm, 'Shadow Puppets' and 'Shadow of the Hegemon' spring to mind. Both are fun and quick reads.
evanc88
calicamper wrote:
I've read several of his books from this series and I'm a definetly a fan. I tutor 6-8th graders and I almost always assign this book for book reports. It's a quick read and I like hearing the kids interpretations on the treatment and developement of the subjects. His later books get much more involved in the political realm, 'Shadow Puppets' and 'Shadow of the Hegemon' spring to mind. Both are fun and quick reads.

Yeah, the Shadow series is heavily political. It's ridiculously interesting, too. I mean, it's all made up, all speculation, but regardless, reading the events in the books really makes you think about world politics and makes me, at least, want to redraw a globe, lol
calicamper
Quote:
Yeah, the Shadow series is heavily political. It's ridiculously interesting, too. I mean, it's all made up, all speculation, but regardless, reading the events in the books really makes you think about world politics and makes me, at least, want to redraw a globe, lol

I haven't read Empire yet, but it's supposed to be the most blatantly political. The reviews are spotty and I'm not sure if I'm going to pick it up. What do you guys think?
tileguy
Enders Game has to be one of my all time favourite sci-fi books. Seeing the character develop, and HOW he develops, not to mention how the battle school sets him up to become what they want...simply amazing. And the ending......pure brilliance.

That being said...

I didn't really get into the sequels very much. Perhaps that was because Enders Game set the bar soooooo high, how could anyone maintain that level, never mind topping it.

To anyone that hasn't read it yet...turn off the computer, call in sick for a few days, and read it. Twice. In a row.

Cheers.
roboguyspacedude
very good book, though I never read any of the sequels.
evanc88
you should check those out--the sequels make the book a ton better.
johanfh
I read Enders Game book, read it twice and sometimes I just take this book from my shelve and like to read it again.
One of the things I liked in the book, apart from the sciencefiction-part, was the psychological question what someone will do when you push him hard enough. In the whole book this is a returning theme: what will Ender do? How far will he go? How far can he be pushed? How many information about the impact of his own deeds does he need to make his decisions?

Apart from that I liked the whole story about the fantasyland Ender enters. The first time I read the book I liked to reread this part and dreamt a little about creating such a world in my own computer too Very Happy .

I did read some of the sequels but don't remember much of them. I'm not sure whether they were as good as Enders Game.

Happy reading!
JohanFH
telescream
ahh, ender's game!
i love this book.

as far as sequels go, i've read ender's shadow. it was also really good; bean's way of looking at things and past was very interesting.
i plan on reading the other sequels once i get around to it. Smile
TentativeChaos
I fall asleep to the sound of Ender's Game on my iPod almost every night. I almost always start it at the same spot to.

"'Wich way is down?' They told him. 'OK, that's true, but that direction is toward the outside. The floor actually curves around that way..."

Every night.

PS
I really like Ender's Shadow also... and Speaker for the Dead.
Radar
Read Ender's Game when a younger sibling was studying it for school, and loved it - can't seem to find Speaker for the Dead anywhere though, which is annoying...and I'm reluctant to just move on to the other half of the series in the meantime.

And so glad that the ending wasn't spoiled for me. Easily one of the best surprises I've experienced in fiction.
MtgRuler
I love Ender's Game, really great sci-fi, although, i didnt like the rest of the series... The shadow section was good, but I think i need to reread it because its been a long time, and ive matured a bit more.
I thought the rest of the series was kind of dull, but I never finished Children of the Mind (last one if thats the wrong name) I stopped in the middle because I got too busy, and never forced myself to finish it. If I finished it, my view may be different, my siblings tell me that that book is really good.