FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can we register a non standard domain, like tom.cruise?

heridlia
Can we register a non standard domain (not .com .org .net .biz .info .mil. etc.) like http://firstname.lastname ( eg. http://tom.cruise ? )

Thanks.
ashen
Ofcourse you can!
Try http://www.dotworlds.com/.
TomS
ashen wrote:
Ofcourse you can!
Try http://www.dotworlds.com/.

Does this work? They offer free domains with any tld-extension you can imagine...
I registered. They say, my domain is installed in few hours. Let's see
Tuxy
It works with a plugin.. Means that you'll have to install a program to view te pages. It's a private network.
TomS
LOL. With a plugin I can also do that. I just make a little change in your hostsfile somewhere in system32 like "mydomain.dom mysub.frih.net"
and then you'll come to my site whenever you type mydomain.com

Thanks for telling me that.
I saw that button "update your browser" but the site was unavailable...
Psycho_X52
To create your own tld costs a lot, and i have no idea where you could registere it. I think somwhere in Washinghton...
The problem is that you'll need a lot of money....and i mean a lot.
You can search on wikipedia more ablout tld's (top level domains)
I couldn't find the exact price, because google fonds only domain registration, which are chepear.

I heard that they are around a few $mil.
TomS
Ok. I wondered because I saw addresses like www.anything.by (by stands for Bayern, Bavaria. the state in state where I'm from. But 'by' could also just be the tdlextension of any little islandgroup (how can they afford that much money). And I also saw www.anything.muc. Muc is short für the munich-airport (like LAX etc). This were a site of our city. I don't think a city would spend million of dollar for it's own tld.
I'll do research and post it here again
Thanks

//EDIT: Wiki says that 'by' stands for bellarus
research goes on
aningbo
why dont u just right-click "my computer, go to computer name and edit the settings there.
TomS
For what? Then you need a server like xampp, and it's only reachable in your intranet. But with this service, youo can host your site online and everybody with that plugin can access it.
aningbo
i didn't actually read fully as i was a little busy... i tried this service but didn't work. i have a proxy server!

may work for other people...
redice
Smile Then, I can register a name like bill.at.microsoft as my domain name Smile
Psycho_X52
Possible but not practicle. (my opinion)
Scorpio
TomS wrote:
Ok. I wondered because I saw addresses like www.anything.by (by stands for Bayern, Bavaria. the state in state where I'm from. But 'by' could also just be the tdlextension of any little islandgroup (how can they afford that much money). And I also saw www.anything.muc. Muc is short für the munich-airport (like LAX etc). This were a site of our city. I don't think a city would spend million of dollar for it's own tld.
Thanks

research goes on

It could be that the " Few million" for registering a tld is only for private organisations and not countries who want their own country specific domain names.
suntzu3500
scorpio wrote:
TomS wrote:
Thanks

research goes on

It could be that the " Few million" for registering a tld is only for private organisations and not countries who want their own country specific domain names.

It's gotta be more than a few million dollars... perhaps a couple dozen million or even hundred million.
domainbuddy
I just came accross this old post of yours and I tried this dotworlds.net site....wow....they have dashcom as well (eg: instead of sex.com you can have sex-com). Tried a few domains and they work! Need to upgrade browser though. Maybe this will take off. I am stocking up. Thanks Cool
richard270384
Gday,

I wouldn't get to attached to this site, especially since it requires users to install a browser plug in.

From what I understand ICANN is planning to allow you to register domains like this in the near future. It seems like they could be at a reasonable price as well.

Check out this article: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/05/09/BU0117E65J.DTL

Quote:
Q: Why not have unlimited top-level domains, just have people create their own? Or is that part of the plan?

A: That's the plan. The BBC described it as "dot almost anything goes." I like to think of it as "dot almost anything goes, but not with complete chaos." There are going to be some rules around it. There are going to be places for objections.