FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ubuntu

linexpert
hi
i've got a gateway mx6454 laptop. I like the laptop, it has 2 gigabytes of memory and 120 gigabytes of hard drive space. i'm trying to get ubuntu linux to work with it, i don't really like windows. i'm having problem configuring the wireless card and the sound card. anyone think they can help me fix this. the sound doesn't come from neither the laptop speaker nor the headphones jack.

thanks
corey
Hi,

For the wireless card, I can't help much, but if its one that has proprietary windows drivers only, you'll likely have luck with NDIS Wrapper. Try the Ubuntu forum and Wiki for how to install it.

As far as the sound, do you know what kind of sound chip you have? you can try finding it by opening a terminal window and typing
Code:
lspci.
If you get a "command not found" error, then try
Code:
sudo lspci
and enter your password when prompted. You should find a list of your devices and be able to determine the chipset that way. There's usually a driver for most sound chips.

Once you have that, we can look into getting the right module loaded for your card/chip
Donutey
linexpert wrote:
hi
i've got a gateway mx6454 laptop. I like the laptop, it has 2 gigabytes of memory and 120 gigabytes of hard drive space. i'm trying to get ubuntu linux to work with it, i don't really like windows. i'm having problem configuring the wireless card and the sound card. anyone think they can help me fix this. the sound doesn't come from neither the laptop speaker nor the headphones jack.

thanks

Is this a Centrino certified laptop, because it would be surprising that Ubuntu wouldn't have WiFi support on this system?
JayBee
If you have broadcom (BCM43xx) wi-fi card, you realy want to use ndiswrapper. In kernel 2.6.19 are drivers for this type of wifi card, but I don't thing you have this kernel. The second bad thing, for my wi-fi, kernel drivers don't work correctly.

next time you wan't solve problem with HW, just write the type
e.g. Broadcom BCM4318 (AirForce One 54g)
because
"I have laptop with 2GB RAM and 120GB HD" don't say anything about your problem with wifi and sound Wink