FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Quick (Probably Stupid) Question

UnikeViruz
I was wondering If I have ..lets say a 400GB Hd in one computer.
I want to have 2 partitions, one for linux and one for windows.
If I slap 200GB for windows and 200GB for linux.....I want to know I can have 2 seperate drives on Windows (I.E. C:\ and D:\)....Can I do the same thing on Linux (Particularily Slackware) can I have the same kind of "drives" on Slax like I can Windows?
If so how..?
{name here}
UnikeViruz wrote:
If I slap 200GB for windows and 200GB for linux.....I want to know I can have 2 seperate drives on Windows (I.E. C:\ and D:\)....Can I do the same thing on Linux (Particularily Slackware) can I have the same kind of "drives" on Slax like I can Windows?
If so how..?

Windows obviously will not recognize the Linux partition, so with that out of the way, Slackware will have each partition act as sort of a drive in the /dev directory in the order the partitions appear on the disk. If you have Windows on the first partition the device would be /dev/hd0, then the Linux partition would be /dev/hd1, and so on for each addtional partition.
simplyw00x
You can use GRUB to partition the drives like so:

Code:
WINDOWS PARTITION (200MB)
-- 100MB C:
-- 100MB D:

LINUX PARTITION (200MB)
-- 100MB
-- 100MB

...if that's what you're asking. But linux tends to inspire a little more thought about partitions. Ideally you want /home mounted as a separate partition, with only 60G or so for the OS.
Maxus
{name here} wrote:
UnikeViruz wrote:
If so how..?

Windows obviously will not recognize the Linux partition, so with that out of the way, Slackware will have each partition act as sort of a drive in the /dev directory in the order the partitions appear on the disk. If you have Windows on the first partition the device would be /dev/hd0, then the Linux partition would be /dev/hd1, and so on for each addtional partition.

You can read/write your linux partitions with http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd
corey
Quick (maybe stupid) question for your qustion.

Why would you want to do that?
{name here}
corey wrote:
Quick (maybe stupid) question for your qustion.

Why would you want to do that?

Why would you want to have NTFS access in Linux? It's the same reason - to get/read you files to the other partition that you want.
qscomputing
UnikeViruz wrote:
I can have 2 seperate drives on Windows (I.E. C:\ and D:\)....Can I do the same thing on Linux (Particularily Slackware) can I have the same kind of "drives" on Slax like I can Windows?
If so how..?

Linux doesn't have the concept of drive letters in the same way Windows has. Instead, you have a filesystem that always starts at '/', with a number of pre-defined directories in it (/home, /usr, /bin, /etc ...). However, these do not have to be on the same partition: there is a file called '/etc/fstab' which specifies how the different filesystems will be 'mounted' into the filesystem - ie. my /home directory could be on a different disk from my /usr directory, but provided it is mounted correctly it will always show up in the right place. Removable disks are just mounted into other directories; typically, there is a directory called /mnt which has mount points for the various removable media you use. HTH.