FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


How do I install Wordpress?





jylan
I am wondering how to install wordpress on on website - hosted with Frihost - but I don't know how to. I would be extremely greatful if anyone would tell me how to do it.

The official wordpress instructions can be found at http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress, if that is any help to anyone.

BTW, I will link to the person that helps me once I get the blog up and running. Wink
Animal
It's actually very easy. Download the Tar.gz package from Wordpress then upload it using DirectAdmin. From the DirectAdmin file manager, choose to extract the package to the appropriate directory. If you want to go to you.frih.net and see the blog, make sure it's extracted to the public_html folder directly, and not left in a subfolder.

Once that's done, in DirectAdmin, click home then select MySQL Management and hit Create a New Database. The database name, username and password don't really matter as long as you remember them or write them down. Once you've created the database, open a web browser and go to you.frih.net/install.php (or you.frih.net/subfolder/install.php) and you'll be asked to enter the database details.

You may have to change the file permissions for some of the files / directories, but the Wordpress installation will tell you what files it needs to be writeable. To change the permissions, go into the DirectAdmin file manager, select the chackbox on the right of the file / folder, and enter 777 in the box at the bottom right of the screen and select change permissions. The Wordpress installation will do the rest, and it will tell you what files to change or delete once finished.

Hope this helps! Very Happy
jylan
Thankyou so much Animal! Very Happy I had actually sent an email to the wordpress instal4you team, but when they replied they asked me over 12 questions! I checked out you're post and decided that it was much easier.

I still had to read the page that I linked to though, as you missed out on mentioning some things. Thanks anyway. I will be linking to your website, http://www.e-ignite.co.uk/ In my first post as I promised. Please notify me if you want me to link to a different address.
Animal
Thanks for the link - glad I could help Very Happy
furtasacra
Animal wrote:
If you want to go to you.frih.net and see the blog, make sure it's extracted to the public_html folder directly, and not left in a subfolder. Very Happy


Not quite correct. I just installed WordPress (partly using Animal's instructions, because the WordPress site is unnecessarily confusing), but I knew there had to be a way to put it in its own folder instead of cluttering up my root directory with that mess of files, because the bewildering WordPress site says you can.

Here's what you do:

Assuming you stick it in a folder named /wordpress

You'd install WordPress in that folder. Your blog will appear at http://www.you.frih.net/wordpress/. Don't panic. Go into your file manager in direct admin and copy the index.php from the /wordpress folder to your /public_html folder.

In your WordPress admin, click options. Under General, change Blog address to http://www.you.frih.net.

Then you need to edit the index.php file in your /public_html folder. Change the line that says

require('./wp-blog-header.php');

to

require('./wordpress/wp-blog-header.php');

Save the file and you're done!
saratdear
furtasacra wrote:
Animal wrote:
If you want to go to you.frih.net and see the blog, make sure it's extracted to the public_html folder directly, and not left in a subfolder. Very Happy


Not quite correct. I just installed WordPress (partly using Animal's instructions, because the WordPress site is unnecessarily confusing), but I knew there had to be a way to put it in its own folder instead of cluttering up my root directory with that mess of files, because the bewildering WordPress site says you can.

Here's what you do:

Assuming you stick it in a folder named /wordpress

You'd install WordPress in that folder. Your blog will appear at http://www.you.frih.net/wordpress/. Don't panic. Go into your file manager in direct admin and copy the index.php from the /wordpress folder to your /public_html folder.

In your WordPress admin, click options. Under General, change Blog address to http://www.you.frih.net.

Then you need to edit the index.php file in your /public_html folder. Change the line that says

require('./wp-blog-header.php');

to

require('./wordpress/wp-blog-header.php');

Save the file and you're done!

I just wanted to say thanks to you. I installed wordpress, then realised that it was cluttering my public_html directory, so deleted the whole thing, installed the whole thing again, followed your instructions. Then, when I opened the site, and I got a 'fatal' error. So, I concluded that there was something wrong, then noticed that I forgot to do what you said last :-
Quote:

Then you need to edit the index.php file in your /public_html folder.

Change the line that says

require('./wp-blog-header.php');

to

require('./wordpress/wp-blog-header.php');

Save the file and you're done!

I cursed myself. And then, I did that, and bingo, it's great! Could you please check it out yourself and see whether it is OK? - www.saratsweb.frih.net

Thank you once again
furtasacra
saratdear wrote:
Could you please check it out yourself and see whether it is OK? - www.saratsweb.frih.net

Thank you once again


You are quite welcome. I was ferociously irritated by the fact that it took me nearly half an hour to FIND the instructions to do this, especially considering it took less than two minutes to actually DO it.

I'm very glad I could save somebody else the trouble!

And your blog seems to be working just fine.
jylan
I just remembered that I had forgotten to leave my blog address. Well here it is: Jylan Wynne's Blog.

Please leave a comment if you find any of the posts interesting. Very Happy [/url]
BlogmasterPg
I'm following your instructions, but i think i loose. OK:( i hope someone read this: ) I do this: 1) create a folder 'wordpress' in files admin., 2) upload word press 2.1.3 .it; 3) i copy the file index .htlm of wordpress in folder public.htlm... STOP: when i go to see my site: http://www.blogmast.frih.net/wordpress it say 404 page not found. Do you know what i mistaked??? Rolling Eyes Question Question Question Question
BlogmasterPg
Now i do all thing all, but for now i can't see it... http://www.blogmast.frih.net you can see something? I not.
Bondings
BlogmasterPg wrote:
I'm following your instructions, but i think i loose. OK:( i hope someone read this: ) I do this: 1) create a folder 'wordpress' in files admin., 2) upload word press 2.1.3 .it; 3) i copy the file index .htlm of wordpress in folder public.htlm... STOP: when i go to see my site: http://www.blogmast.frih.net/wordpress it say 404 page not found. Do you know what i mistaked??? Rolling Eyes Question Question Question Question

As I mentioned in the other topic, you need to upload your wordpress folder to your public_html directory. And the website is blogmasterpg.frih.net .
BlogmasterPg
i delete every thing and re- do it all. nothing http://www.blogmasterpg.frih.net/wordpress
saratdear
Oh yes, now I think I understand what is causing your problem. After you install Wordpress into whatever subfolder you want, move the index.php into the public_html folder. And then, delete the index.html file. The problem is that, when someone accesses your website, Direct Admin automatically shows the index.html file. So, only if you delete it Direct Admin will show the index.php file.

After you do that, did you edit the index.php file as furtasacra said?

Quote:

Then you need to edit the index.php file in your /public_html folder. Change the line that says

require('./wp-blog-header.php');

to

require('./wordpress/wp-blog-header.php');

Save the file and you're done!


If you do all that, I think you should be fine. Smile
BlogmasterPg
ok, saratdear: now i'll prove what you said ( so am i i think this one, but yesterday i fear to mistake..
BlogmasterPg
http://blogmasterpg.frih.net/ this is the result o all my effort: Who do to me? You think I'm a little caxy? Someone Bordeline , when does more and more times the same things the doctors saids:" he's craxy..." so am I ? I hope not, naturally, bur in this thingss
escritor
Sweet. I've just installed Wordpress 2.5 and it's working. Now let me start customizing it. Wink Thank you for the tutorial on changing the directory, furtasacra.
tsuvik
Thanks a ton. Was a major help to me Smile
beauty
Does anyone know that is it compulsory do put the copyright information about worpress on your website if you have done it by using worpress? I mean I have seen lot of different sites done by wordpress and there is used some type of theme design by someone, but they don,t tell the designer name on website? Is that okey to do?
escritor
beauty: whether is ok or not depends on the designer of your theme. Usually, designers make is clear if you should leave the copyright notice when using their themes.
patchworkepiphany
bit of a necro-post here but i wanted to say thank you SO much for this thread - it totally saved my life in installing wordpress to frihost. Very Happy With the odd hiccup, when i came back and went through the steps methodically, it worked flawlessly!! thanks!
PennyLane
Am I the only one who installed Wordpress via Fantastico???
rvec
not everyone has cpanel. Direct admin doesn't have fantastico.
escritor
patchworkepiphany wrote:
it worked flawlessly!! thanks!

Now you're able to install other scripts too, like bbPress. Smile The steps are very similar.
Daniel15
PennyLane wrote:
Am I the only one who installed Wordpress via Fantastico???

Fantastico is okay for installing, but it's terrible for updates. I personally stay far, far away from it Razz
And, most newer FRIHost users use DirectAdmin, not cPanel Wink
rvec
Daniel15 wrote:
PennyLane wrote:
Am I the only one who installed Wordpress via Fantastico???

Fantastico is okay for installing, but it's terrible for updates. I personally stay far, far away from it Razz
And, most newer FRIHost users use Fantastico, not cPanel Wink

He means DirectAdmin there. Cool
Daniel15
Oops, yes, DirectAdmin. Will fix my post Razz
therimalaya
Hi saratdear,

I've done as you have done, and it is fine. I got my site open but I've some problem with CSS or what, my site is not loading properly...
Any solution plz...
flamepjlh
"I am wondering how to install wordpress on on website - hosted with Frihost - but I don't know how to. I would be extremely greatful if anyone would tell me how to do it.

The official wordpress instructions can be found at http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress, if that is any help to anyone.

BTW, I will link to the person that helps me once I get the blog up and running. Wink"
===================================================

I think word press is easy to install.

you may create a database before you get started.

use the database name and password to fill the config form.

access your web site or domain, enter the administrator name, password and email.

Done!
Laughing
saratdear
therimalaya wrote:
Hi saratdear,

I've done as you have done, and it is fine. I got my site open but I've some problem with CSS or what, my site is not loading properly...
Any solution plz...

I'm not good with CSS, so maybe someone else can help you out. Smile Please post a link to your blog.
Related topics
wordpress problem
Wordpress install [DONE][PLEASE LOCK THIS][THANKS]
CLOSED -> Install WordPress for me, 50 Frih.
Wordpress- display is not proper
<php?... tags appear in wordpress
Install A php script And wordpress
Meta tag keywords in blogger and wordpress
How to install Wordpress on your web server ?
PLEASE tell me what I need to do to install WordPress!!!
Script Error When Attempting To Re-Install WordPress
Joomla + Wordpress?
Can I install Wordpress on this?
Install Wordpress On Your Blog
problems when i try to install wordpress
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Support and Web Hosting -> Web Hosting Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.