FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What type of shortwave radio have you got?

jylan
I own a Degen 1103 shortwave radio, and I mainly use it to listen to the BBC world service every night. I can also listen to Radio Australia, Radio New Zealand, Voice of America, Radio Japan, Radio Netherlands and more.

I would like to know whether there is any other shortwave enthusiasts, preferably living in AU.
cloudship
even if i had a shortwave radio, i could not receive any shortwave in my place...

there are so many high buildings around my place and in physics, the shortwave could not pass through and get to my radio.

Thus, i prefer to listen to radio online. hehe

there are many online radio site out there, and you could choose whatever you like to listen to.
jylan
I can't listen online, I have only got dialup. That is why I like shortwave radios. Wink
HoboPelican
Right now, all I have is a Yaseu VR-120. Just a reciever, but I am working on getting my technicians license and will be looking for a transceiver soon.

I originally bought it to listen to ATC while I was working on my pilots license, but it is a sweet little unit that I usually take on trips.
sm6eat
cloudship wrote:
even if i had a shortwave radio, i could not receive any shortwave in my place...

there are so many high buildings around my place and in physics, the shortwave could not pass through and get to my radio.

Thus, i prefer to listen to radio online. hehe

there are many online radio site out there, and you could choose whatever you like to listen to.

The high builidings should not cause any problems for shortwave. But maybee interfernence from electrical equipment. Listen to radio online is no sport!

// Roland
sm6eat
I am a Hamradio operator, callsign is SM6EAT. Mostly listen and talk to other Ham´s around the world.

Equipment is an Yaesu FT-100 running 100w output and the antenna is directional yagiantenna with 4 elements.

More info: http://www.hello-radio.org/whatis.html

// Roland
Studio Madcrow
I have a Grundig Sattelit 3000. It's shortwave abilities are lowered by the fact that my cat broke the antenna by knocking the thing over and the fact that almost nobody beams shortwave signals at North America anymore (they all claim that we can get their stuff online... but where, I ask you is the fun in that) Still, I can still get a few things in on the SW bands and it has an extremely good FM tuner built in as well... Even with a broken antenna, I can pull in over 20 FM and 40 (local) AM stations. Good stuff.
jylan
Hi HoboPelican,
I was thinking about getting a Yaesu VR-120, both for scanning and shortwave listening, but I have read that they aren't that good for shortwave listening. What is your experience with it?
HoboPelican
jylan wrote:
Hi HoboPelican,
I was thinking about getting a Yaesu VR-120, both for scanning and shortwave listening, but I have read that they aren't that good for shortwave listening. What is your experience with it?

I guess, honestly, I don't have much to compare it with, as far as reception goes. Ive picked up signals from all over the world, but without another unit to compare it to under the same conditions, I can't tell ya much. Just remember, the included rubber ducky antenna can be swapped out for a telescoping (or most any other) antenna to get better reception.

I do like it and think I got my money's worth. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
jylan
What do you think of the speed of scanning and searching? Does it feel fast, or do you wish it went faster?
HoboPelican
jylan wrote:
What do you think of the speed of scanning and searching? Does it feel fast, or do you wish it went faster?

Well, the pause on a signal is adjustable from 1 to 12 secs, but if you are referring to scan speed between active channels, I guess I am happy. Faster is always better, but I'm not overly bothered by the 120's scan speed. The manual doesn't specify a speed, so I can't give you numbers.

There are a number of sources on the net for a full manual in PDF form is that would be useful. PM me if you'd like the links.