FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

MAKING A WEBSITE THAT WORKS

littlegiant
I think nowadays, competition on the net is so fierce that you can't simply fantastico up yourself a Wordpress blog and then start writing about your pet cat and expect to get traffic.

You need to follow a specific plan in order to build a website that works, i.e., a website that gets traffic. Once you've got the traffic then you can monetize that anyway you want (Adsense, selling products, affiliate marketing, etc) but you've got to get that traffic first.

Here's what I think is the best way to go about creating a website that gets traffic:

1) Pick an idea you feel passionate about or you know a lot about. Internet users are the most demanding individuals on the face of the earth. They can smell a fraud a mile away.

2) Get fully acquainted with keyword research tools like Wordtracker and Keyword Discovery (both have free trials). Think up a basic keyphrase that sums up your site idea and run it through those tools to check its KEI (Keyword Effectiveness Index). This will tell you if your site idea has already been done to death or not. If it has, go back to Step 1.

3) Once you've got a viable site idea and your basic keyphrase, research a bunch of related keyphrases which you can use to build other pages on your site around. Repeat Step 2 with all these related keyphrases.

4) Build your home page focussing on your basic keyphrase. Build other pages on your site that focus on your related keyphrases. Each page is devoted to one keyphrase.

5) When building all pages on your site, make sure each page's particular keyphrase appears in the <title> tags, the META keywords tag, the META description tag, the H1 tag, in all links leading to the page and is peppered liberally throughout the page's content. Optimal keyword density is widely debated but I personally feel that between 2-3% looks natural, over 5% starts to look like keyword stuffing to the reader but is still safe as far as search engines and over 10% is definitely too much.

6) Once your site is built, launch it under a domain name (not a subdomain name). It's worth the $10 a year to do this (I recommend GoDaddy for domain name registration).

7) Submit your site to a bunch of directories to get backlinks so that search engines can start crawling and listing your site.

And that's it. Then just start watching your webstats (use Statcounter for free) to see how well the whole thing worked.

Of course this isn't the be-all and end-all of what works in creating a successful website but I think it covers the basics. Feel free to add your own ideas.
SoftStag
This is an interesting article and it has some good points. However, I feel that a good website is one that achieves it's goal. High traffic and revenue may not be the goal.

There is nothing wrong with a WordPress blog about your cat, if your aim is to keep friends and family updated on your cat's daily routine.

If your aim is to achieve a high footfall, then you will need to do a bit more than submit to a few directories and sit back and wait for the referrals from Uncle Google. Google knows that people use directories for this purpose, and consequently don't give your site much credit for these types of links. You need to be sharing links with other sites in the same field, posting on forums about the topic and referring back to your site. You have to work hard at getting the backlinks, and even then it takes time for Google to give you much traffic. You also need to keep your site regularly updated, Google doesn't like stale pages, so keep it fresh or the catblog.com will rank better than you!

Just some thoughts...
littlegiant
Good points, Softstag..

Yes I certainly didn't mean to impugn the value of setting up a blog for personal reasons. If somebody wants to blog about their pet cat, hey, all the power to 'em. Very Happy

Also, I don't think Google puts much weight on backlinks from forums either and it should also be mentioned that one should make sure the links on the forum don't have the rel=nofollow attribute applied or they won't be much good SEO wise.
FunDa
Good tips. For those who are new to launching a website, all these would be a great help.

Quote:
If somebody wants to blog about their pet cat, hey, all the power to 'em.
Laughing
SoftStag
littlegiant wrote:
I don't think Google puts much weight on backlinks from forums either

I agree to an extent. I think individual links from forums can be almost worthless, but if you are getting links from a lot where there is relevance to your subject it is a valuable tool, more so than directories.

littlegiant wrote:
it should also be mentioned that one should make sure the links on the forum don't have the rel=nofollow attribute applied or they won't be much good SEO wise.

Absolutely, and forms these days are becoming harder to find that don't have the nofollow attribute applied.
TribalArt
In a way, a directory can benefit you because people may just trawl through them on a dull evening or something.

But I find a good way is to share links, and enter onto forums, like this one for example.

My site traffic has tripled due to the exposure from the amount of people that go on forums such as this.

I plan to search for the most popular forums related to my website(s) and use them for extra marketing.

Even though it may not help much with google if I am right but a popular forum will have a active audience which will inturn if they see a link to your website such as those in here then they could help with traffic.
Captain Fertile
Thanks for that, I have printed this out to work on while I build my site.

Much appreciated advise.
lerian
Thanks for sharing your tips. Very useful, really appreciate it.
And good luck with your site. Smile
manum
i need guidence in improving a online sudoku gaming website that i am making.

I would love for you all folks to advice me as to what all directories should I approach to get listed on google with high PR.
littlegiant
As many and all directories that you can find but go at it at a moderate pace. You don't want to get the backlinks coming in to quickly otherwise you'll set off some red flags with Google. Also stay away from any directories which are clearly not related to games, entertainment, hobbies, etc. You want at least some kind of generalized co-relation between the directory >> subdirectory you're listed in and your site. You could also try some article marketing to get some backlinks to your site so that all your backlinks aren't just coming from directories.
TheGustav
Good post. Smile I'll try to apply this to Pet Stable... Really need to get people to start going to it, I just can't really get the word out!
pashmina
This is one good and interesting article. I think I should focus on the Meta tags. My site has been indexed several times, but the problem is it finds the same meta words in all the pages, so it just cuts down those unwanted stuffs. i will also definately submit my site to the directories, which might help me a lot.
SoftStag
pashmina wrote:
This is one good and interesting article. I think I should focus on the Meta tags. My site has been indexed several times, but the problem is it finds the same meta words in all the pages, so it just cuts down those unwanted stuffs. i will also definately submit my site to the directories, which might help me a lot.

Don't concern yourself with META Tags. These are not really used by most search engines and offer very little value. You need to make sure you have the inbound links with keywords in the anchor text, you also need to have the keywords in your page, title and headings.
littlegiant
Not to be cantankerous but one META tag that is still quite useful is the META NAME="description" tag. The value of the content="..." attribute in this tag is displayed in Google search engine results pages as a little blurb right underneath the title of your page. This can be really useful to convey extra information to the user. Google will display about 150 characters for your META description so you can actually write whole sentences. This is excellent for inserting some kind of call-to-action. Also --although this is debatable-- the META description might even have some SEO benefits. I base this on the fact that if the keywords used in the search query are found in the META description tag, Google results pages will display those META description keywords in bold letters.
furtasacra
I'm just trying to make my html and css validate, and meet accessibility standards... interestingly, most of these practices just happen to also be white hat SEO.

What I want to know is, does it matter to search engines whether I put navigation or content first in my html documents?

I'm thinking I should put navigation first, for the benefit of blind people using screen readers, since I can use css to put it anywhere I want for the sighted.

Suggestions?
littlegiant
Quote:
What I want to know is, does it matter to search engines whether I put navigation or content first in my html documents?

I would say, yes, it does matter but I know this is debatable. But if SEO experts are saying it's good to put your primary keywords in the first sentence (or paragraph) then why wouldn't it matter?

Couldn't you use the @media rule in your CSS to specify the 'aural' media type and then have your page specially styled for screen readers? (Just going by theory here, never actually tried this myself...)
ronaldallan.mojica
if you want to create a working website, first ask yourself what do you want? what do you need? where do you excel? is this my expertise ?
FunDa
The whole concept of the website depends on who you would like your target audience to be.

Think about what you want from the internet. What type of website do you want ?
Depending on your interests, you can make a website that you like.

Then you can be sure that other people like you will also like your website. Once that is done, you have to keep updating the the site will the latest information on that subject and this means that the subject should be something that keeps your interest.

Then you can promote your website in various free link directories and submit to the major search engines.
One of the best ways to get your site noticed by search engines is to get a link from a site on a similar topic.

The search engine bots will find your site and index it.

To help with it, you can also create a sitemap and submit it to Google webmaster tools ..
georgekalathil
Actually when we submit in classifieds and free articles sites, make sure that there is no nofollow attribute. Other wise our link will be of no use..