FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Chess

fianchesso
Anyone play chess? I co-teach a chess class at UC Berkeley, and I'm about to start a club. That's what the Fianchesso website is going to be about. Maybe you can post your favorite opening. Mine is the Sicilian Dragon.
Afaceinthematrix
I play a lot of chess... I usually open with the King's rook and then the two knights... then I'll usually try to develop my bishops in a good position to where they have a lot fo the board covered and can go in for the attack... most of the time I protect my rooks like crazy because I alsways use them to put my opponents king in checkmate...
uuuuuu
I play a ton of chess.
Way too much...

But I don't analyze games, I don't study openings, and I don't read books about chess.

This is what probably keeps me from playing chess to my potential, but I think that chess, like all other things, should be practiced only for enjoyment, or as a means to achieving enjoyment.

I have no problem with people who practice an art only to excel at it. Many people lack confidence in themselves, and practice only to exercise domination over others. So long as the fruit of this domination is enjoyment, I think this is fine. But if you do something that you don't enjoy doing, only to improve at this activity, all the while not enjoying it, then something is probably wrong.

I play chess on the FICS (http://www.freechess.org), and probably 99.9% of games there are 1. e4, or 1. e5.

I like to play a variety of openings, I think gambits are my favorite as white. Particularly Danish. As black, I go through phases. My first favorite defense was Petrov's. Then I played Sicilian for a long time, trying to figure out everything I could about it. Now I usually play Caro-Kann.

I don't play to win, though, I usually play to pass time, or to exercise my shriveling brain.

Has the fianchesso site been built yet? Will you post a link please? I would like to see it, if it is.
TarsajumaClan
I play it occasionally on the internet... unfortunatly most computers players on the free games arnt very good. I normally play it on this arcade... trying to get the highscore can get tough...

http://www.myarcadeplanet.com/home/arcade.php
LoGD
I play chess but verry little. I used to play more when i was younger but with the time i get more stupid Razz but i know a guy who`s really good Wink
Osmodius
Pfft, I defeated Gary Kasparov and Deep Blue with a row of pawns and a bishop.
icedrakon
I have chessmaster and try to defeat him. My opening it depends of my enemy skills and attacks..
tsj-rid3
I play chess at school sometimes, to get to stay in from going outside. Our school has some strict rules, so it gets boring outside. I've learned some good tactics some the teacher who hosts the games, and he is very good. It's not a game I play all the time, but I do play it every once and awhile.
crazsantatra
I want to play chess without board but only with notation to exercice my space view, is some one know a game like that?
jajarvin
crazsantatra wrote:
I want to play chess without board but only with notation to exercice my space view, is some one know a game like that?

So mean Blindfold chess (also known as sans voir)which is a form of chess play wherein
the players do not see the positions of the pieces or touch them.

Go to this site and tick checkbox 'blindfold chess'.
Insanity
Chess is really a great game. It's a game with minimal learning and such great depth to it. It's easy to learn and pick up and play with your friends, and it doesn't take that much learning to understand how the basics of it works. Of course, tehre are specifics to the game that take a while to learn and understand, but they ar enot important to knowing how to play the game at the most basic level. It's a great game because it's cheap and easy to buy -- you can even do it with paper if you're short on cash. You don't need anything, just another person to play with. It's no surprise that it has been the leading game for a long time in the world. The games nowadays just don't have the same amount of depth as chess, although the other games are great to play with as well.
loveandormoney
fianchesso wrote:
Anyone play chess? I co-teach a chess class at UC Berkeley, and I'm about to start a club. That's what the Fianchesso website is going to be about. Maybe you can post your favorite opening. Mine is the Sicilian Dragon.

Yes.

We do and we did.

Special for children
chess is very good.
SpaceInvader75
I haven't played it enough to get very good. I've looked up some openings but I don't really remember them. I just know some basic strategies. I taught my girlfriend how to play but I don't think she like playing me because she hasn't beat me yet (but she won some games online). It might just not be her kind of game. She likes Yahtzee and that game is boring to me. lol