FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Any guitar players here?

gerontius
Which guitars do you prefer... F style ( 25.5" scale, bolt-on ) or G style ( 24 3/4" scale, set neck )

I prefer F style... although i've owned a LP, i feel that Strat is the most versatile guitar in history. And I love my vintage white strat Cool
jwellsy
I have an old beater Ovation that I enjoy.
I am still learning scales and chord progressions.
I recently picked up an A and an E tuning forks,
getting the hang of using them is odd, I need to grow more fingers Smile
TheSublime
yess

I have a black Ibanez acoustic and I black Fender strat. they rule.

I should really play more..
godam64
i just play a $15 guitar made in indonesia. i dont quite understand about guitar types but i hope someday i can have a new electric guitars f and g style.
Ozzy
I own a Monterey Acoustic Guitar.

Been thinking of buying a cheap Ibanez electric guitar
bonestorm74
I have an Ibanez RG series. Good stuff. Although I don't play anywhere near as much as I should do.
Captain Fertile
I have an ovation copy electro acoustic that cost a few quid brand new from Ebay and just got a Les Paul copy the other day.

I am learning, slowly but love guitars. I can stare at the Les Paul for ages, it is beautiful.
prilly_baby
I've been meaning to buy a guitar. What kind do you recommend for a beginner??
Liu
I have a blueridge guitar, sounds awesome for the price.
Carrie_Jean
I play guitar. I have a black Fender Strat and a FirstAct acoustic. I've been meaning to buy another acoustic since I love acoustic far more than electric but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Do any of you have favorite bands you like to play songs from? I love the Goo Goo Dolls.. they have some really awesome songs that are fun to play on guitar.
blueman
i cam play guitar but am not that good at it, i do admire people whom i think just rocks like GnR guitarist, i think he was the best. and loves to rock and pop and metal where there is more guitar work.
thealpha
I am a guitar player. I played Acoustic guitar and I like to play some folk muisc. I have three acoustic guitars, one is YAMAHA F-Series, one it Washburn 1995 Limited Edition, they are my loves.
datter
I have an Epi LP I like a lot (pic below) but am in the midst of trying to trade it for a Strat... which to me, just feels better.

In a perfect world though, I'd have both... and a Gretsch, and an Eastwood, and a Reverend. Smile
lerian
My first (and only) guitar is a very cheap used classic guitar. I bought it from a friend. I learn to play it and suddenly lost my interest and turn into playing computer when my dad bought one for my brother. I still keep the guitar on my room, but never touch it anymore.
roveneco
i have a Jackson. i play my jackson when i'm agressive. Twisted Evil And i have takamine acustic for love songs. Wink
bonestorm74
Glad to report that I have picked up the guitar more often now and I am slowly re-learning all of those songs I used to know. Wink
gtherockgod
datter wrote:
I have an Epi LP I like a lot (pic below) but am in the midst of trying to trade it for a Strat... which to me, just feels better.

In a perfect world though, I'd have both... and a Gretsch, and an Eastwood, and a Reverend. Smile

Quilted maple...niiiiiiice.

I'm looking into buying an Agile quilted amber PRS copy, I've heard so many good things about them and they look goooorgeous.

Right now I've got my 2 Jacksons- one is a black king V, the other is a Dinky (superstrat) in cobalt blue swirl. Looks amazing when the right light catches it.
{name here}
I play a little guitar. I've got an Ibanez ESP 2 that I play at times.
Tatsumaru
I know little about guitars since I just started playing 3 months ago... I feel that I'm progressing fast though, definitely for someone who has never played an instrument before Laughing
schumway
just starting. I have never been able to stick with it but I have my third guitar now.

I also have a 15mth old daughter so I would like to learn. I can never remember the words to songs and etc.

I can remember them if they are on the radio... and I dont know the song but I know the phrase JUST before they sing it so it sounds like I know the song but if the radio stops or the voice stops.... I can not continue with the song as I am lost...

mental block!!!!
Insanity
I have a crappy low end Yamaha acoustic guitar... but then again I suck at guitar anyways, so it doesn't really matter.
harryj03
I PLAY GUITAR HERO II! i beat it on expert in like 3 days
alissavb
I have a little ol' Yamaha electric guitar that I bought years ago when I was just starting out. Razz I have a red Guild acoustic guitar also, and a red Harmony electric/acoustic. I'll soon be the proud owner of a BC Rich guitar, as well! I'd really love to buy a Takamine someday...they play really nice. I'm very into guitars and I'm hoping to have a nice big collection someday. Razz I've been playing about 5 or 6 years now.
thealpha
YAMAHA is not bad, the price also reasonable
MetalFreak
I just started to play the Bass Guitar, although I am learning fast there is still much to learn. I use a five-string bass. But I know that most basses have four, is there a specific difference on how they perform except for the fact of the one string difference? And I have used a foot pedal for a regular 7 string electric guitar and it sounds really good. If you want a classic and basic sound for your electric guitar then the foot pedal is not recommended, but if you want the best Heavy Metal or Hard Rock sound on your guitar then definitely
use the foot pedal, I think it is like 50 bucks. I am not sure i don't own one myself.
spider
My son has a basic small learning guitar, but wants a fender... I believe mostly because everyone in our family uses fender... That kinda came to be because one of our neighbors used to have a son that designed one of the factories in california for fender. but he made homemade guitars from his home, in his own small factory. I know her last name was Stevens, so, naturally the same with the son,,, just dont remember what his first name was... had an awsome lil dog though,, I used to play alot of frisbee with it... I knew he lived in Texas though... I really think, its not really the type of guitar you would like to have, but mostly what feels confortable in your hands. Naturally it has to look cool, but same thing with motorcycles, you can have it painted to fit you. (course talking about some extra money there...)
rfarrand
ya know what...i wish i was better at guitar...but i just stink...i have had a guitar for about 7 years now... i am terrible at figuring out and making strum patterns sound good at all with songs...i am decent at chords and switching between them but i suck. i have tried taking lessons and that did not help a whole lot...i took 2 years in college...and i am sure it takes longer then taht to be good. i just want to be able to pick up the guitar and play away! any advise for a crappy guitar player...sites? tips ? or tricks??
bonestorm74
I actually had a jam with a couple of mates on the weekend for the first time in about 5 years and it was great! We had all had a few drinks, so it wasn't the tightest set you've ever seen, but it was lots of fun, which for us is the main criteria at this stage.
froginabox
I've got a few guitars... one of them (my first) was an $80 cheap Epiphone (the Les Paul Junior Special). I made it into a project guitar, reworked the neck, frets, and put in a tune-o-matic bridge instead of the wrap-around one (horrible intonation, and no way to adjust). Also put in a Dimebucker instead of the standard pickup. The thing wails now.

(first 2 pics courtesy of Musicians Friend, rehosted for courtesy)
Other guitars are:

the Dean "Dime-o-flame":

Dean Evo Noir, replaced the bridge pickup with a Dimebucker and the neck with a Seymour Duncan "Pearly Gates." Reworked the neck to fix the action, leveled the frets, the works. I'll dig up a pic of the actual guitar and post here eventually.

Charvel Model 5
My pride and joy... almost completely stock except for the 9 volt battery and the locking nut at the top (previous owner removed it!). Stock pair of active pickups with an early version of the booster circuit, 5 way switching, I leveled out the frets and adjusted the truss rod for 20 years worth of warp, but other than that it plays like a dream. Truly the 80s shredding machine it was built to be!

Plus an old Dean acoustic I play every once in a while (all stock there, but it's next on the list!)

For a great beginner's guitar, don't go too cheap - that was my problem with the Epi. Best bet might to be to go to your local shop and get a beginner, or go for something by Squier or Epi from a music catalog or website. If I were you, I would avoid eBay unless you know exactly what you're looking for.
paul_indo
I have a Fender Strat copy and I had a black Ibanez acoustic till my dumb brother in law left it in the backyard and it got stolen.
Milky.
I myself prefer F style. I've been playing for like 3 years.
Petee
Yeah, I play guitar. Standard and bass. It's so much fun once you get somewhat good at it Laughing. I've got a Vantage Les Paul with a sunburst pattern. Really nice guitar, great to play, although I wouldn't mind getting some nice new pickups for it eventually. I've also got a Fender style 4-string bass guitar. I think it was homemade (not sure, I got it used), but it plays and sounds great.
TheGustav
rfarrand wrote:
ya know what...i wish i was better at guitar...but i just stink...i have had a guitar for about 7 years now... i am terrible at figuring out and making strum patterns sound good at all with songs...i am decent at chords and switching between them but i suck. i have tried taking lessons and that did not help a whole lot...i took 2 years in college...and i am sure it takes longer then taht to be good. i just want to be able to pick up the guitar and play away! any advise for a crappy guitar player...sites? tips ? or tricks??

7 years and you still aren't able to sound good?

I guess different people have different learning levels, I have a friend who's been playing a few months over a year and he's amazing... Can pick it up and shred improv'd solos as well as replicate some of the hardest solo's I've ever heard.

Best advice to you is just look up TABS for easy songs, and work that song out the best you can, and eventually play it alongside the recorded version of the song. Smile

But... anyways... I've been playing a few months, I bought a package deal that included a... very small 10watt amp, and an SG. Smile

Ok... it's not a Gibson SG, it's a Epihphone SG Special, but I don't have all that much money to spend! Very Happy I hope one day to upgrade to a Gibson SG! Razz
mistertomer
i prefer the f style although i own lp
Lemike
I also play the guitar and actually i have an Alvaro classic guitar, but i'm looking for a good electric guitar Very Happy I'm a begginer and i really don't know much about which guitar is good... Maybe somebody could sugges me what guitar would be good for me Smile First of all, I listen the rock music(generally Metallica) and i would love to play some of their songs Smile and i want this guitar to be as cheap as it's possible, but it has to have Humbuckers or some other good sensors...
Satori
I have a red Fender Squire Strat. It was my first guitar and I got it almost 10 years ago. I also have a blue acoustic/electric Dean. I got the electric when I was in middle school (back at the age when electric guitars are the only kind of guitar you would want.) But once I was in college, I realized that there's nothing quite like an acoustic guitar. Sure, they're a bit harder to play, but the sound is so much nicer than an electric. And of course you don't need an amp. I decided to get an acoustic/electric so I could still plug it in if I wanted to. Now I really don't play my Fender anymore. But I just can't seem to part with it anyway Smile
thealpha
this forum has so many guitar players. I will buy a baby Taylor very soon, any one have Taylor?
nasted
godam64 wrote:
i just play a $15 guitar made in indonesia. i dont quite understand about guitar types but i hope someday i can have a new electric guitars f and g style.

waa... so cheep... i buy guitar $60 (local brand) in malaysia
daboking
I am also a guitar player... but they are a dime a dozen hahahaha. i have been playing 26 years, and have a custom built electric played through a on mesa mkIII half-stack, and an indian rosewood taylor.

I have also taught for years, and would like to throw out a question to see what a bunch of you other axe players prefer... single coil or humbucker pickups at the bridge position??? Each of my students has a different style, and so I recommend back and forth depending on their needs, but I personally prefer a humbucker for myself. What kinds of pickups you guys/gals like?

Guitar Hero???? I am an embarrasment at it. LOL
evilfishtank
i baught a les paul one day , just because i wanted to learn. my brother broke the string on it about a year ago and i have not touched it since... i feel like im totally wasting it. good thing is its not getting messed up so i think it should hold its value.