FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Intels Quad Processor's?

UnikeViruz
Anyone know any pros and cons to these new Quad processors?
I was thinkin about building a server but I'm not sure exactly what kind of processors and HD's I should put inside of em? I was checkin out newegg a little bit lookin over some processors and motherboards but I cant really decide anything specific.. Just wondering if anyone had any input on this that would help me make a decision?
fadirocks
here is some questions
What kind of server is it? (home, small business, large business)
Casing? (blade, mini, mid, full)
functions? (file, mail, web, db ..etc)
OS?
and what's your budget?
UnikeViruz
No budget really...I was thinkin more of a Web server probably....
Medium sized business I spose....
I want a fairly good server that whatever I decide to throw at it it can handle
And my OS will probably be Linux........
Web Server/SMTP/Maybe DNS?/ I dont wanna slap too much onto one computer...
For sure ill be going with a web server.....and more than likely the SMTP ....those 2 for sure I dont think I will really stick anything else on there because I have other computer for that if I need
fadirocks
Under Linux things run really fast even for an old mahcine, My old AMD k7 1200MHz 266FSB which had 384MB of RAM was good enough to run 110Mbps file transferring, burning CD, compiling code remotely & I was browsing the internet and still running smooth (forgot to say all at same time)

so Quad Proc nah sounds too much you should look into a super silent & super power efficient server as soon you finish setting up the server all you need is ethernet cable(s) and power cable nothing else connected

well how much RAM? about 1gig is more than enough!
HD? well if media then you need many gigs if not media then nah
Prabhu Raj
UnikeViruz wrote:
Anyone know any pros and cons to these new Quad processors?
I was thinkin about building a server but I'm not sure exactly what kind of processors and HD's I should put inside of em? I was checkin out newegg a little bit lookin over some processors and motherboards but I cant really decide anything specific.. Just wondering if anyone had any input on this that would help me make a decision?

QUAD Processors are new to market and i do not suggest using them for server purposes.

I suggest you go for a HP XW 4300 / 4400 / 9300 workstations. These workstations surely can handle small level server needs.

if you want an entry level server then go for a proliant server.
dz9c
quad core is ahead of its time. STICK TO SINGLE CORE. intel pentium 3 800mhz is ahead of its time and is more than enough power to run any computer
ForceRun
Thats some peoples view, that the Quad core is before its time. In a small way you are right there arn't very many quad cores and there are very costly. But if you got the cash they are well worth it if you need a high powered system. The best duel core system to get is the new Intels, Core 2 Duo. They are at least ten times faster then any thing else on the market, and start at $189.