FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Watching Star Wars

Afaceinthematrix
Which do you think is better for new Star Wars fans: watching episodes 4-6 first, then watching 1-3 like all us old fans did, or watching 1-6 in order now that they are all available to watch?
Diablosblizz
Surprisingly, I have only watched the last part of the Clone Wars, where all the clones were fighting, I really never got into star wars, but I guess I wouldn't understand if I never have watched the first movie. But, from what I saw it looked good.
dray101
I definitely think 4-6 then 1-4 because 4 to 6 is a good way to get used to the idea(s) behind Star Wars, and you kind of learn along with Luke and stuff in A New Hope

also the newer episodes you really have to watch a few times to fully understand the story (there's a lot in there that is easy to miss)

The story line (not screenplay) is really quite complicated; for example understanding what 'the force' actually is. However if you not that fussed about the world beyond the screenplay then all the movies are great (in my opinion)

did I help? Wink
Afaceinthematrix
dray101 wrote:
I definitely think 4-6 then 1-4 because 4 to 6 is a good way to get used to the idea(s) behind Star Wars, and you kind of learn along with Luke and stuff in A New Hope

also the newer episodes you really have to watch a few times to fully understand the story (there's a lot in there that is easy to miss)

The story line (not screenplay) is really quite complicated; for example understanding what 'the force' actually is. However if you not that fussed about the world beyond the screenplay then all the movies are great (in my opinion)

did I help? Wink

yeah the story is a lot better outside of the movies... I've read a lot of the books about what happened before episode one and what happened after episode 6.... but i definitely agree that watching 4-6 and then 1-3 is better for people that haven't seen them before because that's the way all of us old fans saw them and since they were made in that order, george lucas did a good job at making sure everything is explained in episode 4 and didn't do as good of a job in episode 1 since he assumed people had already watched 4-6
dray101
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
... george lucas did a good job at making sure everything is explained in episode 4 and didn't do as good of a job in episode 1 since he assumed people had already watched 4-6

Yeah that's a very good point! like I said 1-3 can be a bit confusing for the newbie
alkady
As much as 4-6 was good, I like episode 1-3 because they put more effort into making the world more expanded. If Episode 4-6 where made today, it would certainly be damm good. The technology wasn't great back then which ruined that touch of modernity and limited what could and could not be done.

I only wish George Lucas will consider making episode 7-9 as it was originally planned. Too bad the actors originally in it would be too old and replacing them would just ruin it.
reddishblue
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
then watching 1-3 like all us old fans did

Um it was made 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3 very strange numbering really, anyway as a Star Wars fan I would watch it 456 then 123 I don't really like the new ones as much as the old...
Blu_Spykz
Watching 4,5,6,1,2,3 would give you the better idea of what was going on.

Watching it in sequential gives you the whole story in full.

I haven't *ever* watched all 6 in any one week to be honest...but if I were to, I would start at 1, and end at 6.
Kelcey
For story purposes, start at 1 and go to 6 incrementally. Actually now that I think about it you might be able to go from 4-6,1-3.
parokya
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Which do you think is better for new Star Wars fans: watching episodes 4-6 first, then watching 1-3 like all us old fans did, or watching 1-6 in order now that they are all available to watch?

Now that the series is complete, the best way I think is to see the movie from prequel 1 onwards. I followed the original series with delight, but I never got quiet used to watching the prequels. Now that one can acquire the whole collection in just one DVD, it has become quite convenient to watch the whole Starwars saga from Anakin to Luke and see how the redemption of the former becomes really dramatic in "The Return of the Jedi". From this whole series, the Jedi who returns isn't Luke but Anakin.
Scaramanga
Or you know, do what I do, and pretend 1-3 don't exist and just watch 4-6. Very Happy
Captain Fertile
I think if it is your first time you should watch them as they were made - 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3. Then the effects etc, improve slightly so you can look forward to effects modern audiences expect. This is how they were released so it is most logical, and IMHO correct.

I do think you should watch them in order 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 once although I have not yet done so.
Scaramanga
Captain Fertile wrote:
I think if it is your first time you should watch them as they were made - 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3. Then the effects etc, improve slightly so you can look forward to effects modern audiences expect.

And look forward to the crappy writing and directing of modern Geroge Lucas too. It really is odd to see how the new "prequels" get progressively worse.

You know, there's really nothing wrong with just watching the original trilogy (4-6.) Would you go to the doctor for surgery even though the first three took care of your problem and the next three were going to be painful to undergo?
Kirbyssj
4-6 then 1-3 is the only way to go in my view. I mean it doesn't make much sense to watch the technologically advanced movies before the non-advanced movies even though technically they are so posed to happen beforehand. It sorta ruins the mood when you watch the pretty effects for 6 hours then are forced to watch the crappy effects for another 6 hours.
Dean_The_Great
I wpuld only let them watch it 1-6 if they absolutely promised to watch them all.. Because I could totally see them not wanting to watch the rest after getting past 1 and 2.

So if you need to convince them that Star Wars is worth watching, then definitely 4-6, and save them the horrid writing in 1-3 (especially 2)
Yjaxygames
It is both fun. If you do 4-6 then 1-3, you get the real feeling like older watchers did and stuff. But you already know the ending so it's letss surprising to watch.
I would prefer to watch 1-6. Because, well, when I know the end, I get less motivated to the other films. And the whole plot is just complete, from start till end.