FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Laptop Fan too Noisy

alkady
I got a old staters laptop because my parents won't buy me a good one for another 1 and a half year since I'm not in CEGEP yet. (In Quebec thats the equivalent of Grade 12.)

Anyways, I got a Toshiba 2065CDS and obviously is slower than my Handheld, the only thing thats the problem is the Fan. It makes alot of noise. I did a clean up to remove the dust to reduce the noise, since the previous owner obviously didn't know much about PC's.

Being new to laptops, Is there a way to reduce the noise? I can't replace the fan because it's a old laptop and I doubt there would be a compatible fan that was built for the CDS.

I was considering installing CPU management software and so on because the fan only activates when alot of pressure is being put on the system or I've when I've been using it for too long.
fadirocks
The only way to tell is to open it apart and look for fan clean it up well then if you like to you can lubricate

Quote:
The bearing type
The type of bearing used has a major influence both on noise and on reliability of the fan. We distinguish between two types of bearing: Ball bearing and sleeve bearing. Generally speaking, ball bearing fans are more expensive, last longer, but are louder than sleeve bearing fans.

The cheapest sleeve bearing type simply consists of a ring made of a porous material dipped in lubricant; the fan axis rotates inside this ring. After prolonged operation, the lubricant will be used up, and the fan will become noisy and eventually fail. This is a common problem especially with small, inexpensive fans like they are used on chipset coolers or coolers of low-end graphics cards.

It may help - as a temporary solution - to lubricate the fan that has become noisy, using standard lube. However, depending on the fan design, the bearing may not be accessible to lubrication from the outside. Sometimes, removing the manufacturer's sticker from the fan will expose the bearing.

The better solution is to replace cheap fans that have become noisy by decent models with a ball bearing; a good ball bearing fan will last for many years of nonstop operation, without any lubrication.

There are also good quality sleeve bearings available, such as the "Sintec" sleeve bearings used by Papst, which use PTFE (also known as Teflon) as bearing material. These are just as expensive as good ball bearings, while maintaining the sleeve bearing's advantage of having lower noise level. Other manufacturers use ceramic materials for their bearings.

One bearing is not enough to stabilize a rotating axis. Fans have two bearings, and many of the "ball bearing" fans actually have one ball bearing, and one sleeve bearing. Larger ball bearing fans should have two ball bearings; they are often sold as "two ball bearing" or just "Two Ball" fans.

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/faninfo.shtml

My brother does it all the time it helps alot and extends dying fan's life time
Prabhu Raj
alkady wrote:
I got a old staters laptop because my parents won't buy me a good one for another 1 and a half year since I'm not in CEGEP yet. (In Quebec thats the equivalent of Grade 12.)

Anyways, I got a Toshiba 2065CDS and obviously is slower than my Handheld, the only thing thats the problem is the Fan. It makes alot of noise. I did a clean up to remove the dust to reduce the noise, since the previous owner obviously didn't know much about PC's.

Being new to laptops, Is there a way to reduce the noise? I can't replace the fan because it's a old laptop and I doubt there would be a compatible fan that was built for the CDS.

I was considering installing CPU management software and so on because the fan only activates when alot of pressure is being put on the system or I've when I've been using it for too long.

There is no way a laptop fan can give high noise. If it does you need to replace it.

Laptop fans generaly dont work unless your laptop is over heated. Once your laptop is heated then the fan starts to rotate and dispose the internal heat. this is how a laptop fan works. not like our regular desktops or workstations.

Since the usage of the cooling fan is very less when compared to desktops the fans life is very high.

In your case i suggest you first clean the dust in it and if it still gives you the noise then you should clean the dirt from your whole laptop and even then if the fan gives you noice you should replace them.
whiskers27
well id just bear with it until your parents buy you a new one i dont know what to do about it though
alkady
whiskers27 wrote:
well id just bear with it until your parents buy you a new one i dont know what to do about it though

LOL, I am, I'm still counting the day's.
diduknowthat
is the laptop clogged with dust? Try taking a duster and blowing it through the vents.