FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Lego Mindstorm NXT

Guyon
.... or 10 year old programming. Very Happy

I Started to teach my 10 year old Dark Basic programming at the end of the summer knowing he was going to get the Lego Mindstorm NXT for Christmas.

Now that he as got it, I over prepared him. You can program the Lego Mindstorm NXT visually and some of the robots he made are quite fun Here is what he did so far:

With a claw hand, find and pick up the dark colored ball of 3 balls.

Find its way out of a dark room when placed any where in it.

Move to a wall in the middle of the floor, stop before hitting it then move around it to keep going.

Detect someone going to the bathroom in the middle of the night and set off an alarm. My wife personal favorite. LOL

Travel though a maze with out bumping anything.

Future projects:

Sister Spy bot.

Hamster tracker: Find moving hamster and make an alarm and follow it for when it gets out (again)

Take over Pittsburgh (soon as Lego releases body armor and a real death ray) LOL

This is a real robot with so many possibilities, my only concern that I wish it had more memory. Surprised
odinstag
So they started to put out Minsstorms again?

I looked all over a while back trying to find one. But no luck. The mindstorm stuff is very interesting.

I want to link several of them together and see what kind of evil machines I can devise. A little outside the box thinking and Mind storm's have real potential for much fun.
snowboardalliance
I had that way back when I played with legos. Too bad I hardly knew what I was doing and could only take the premade models and modify them.
Guyon
@odinstag

Yeah the new unit is awesome. They really took the users suggestions. But I want/need more memory. Er.... my son wants more memory. LOL

Putting a few together wold be VERY fun, but also very expensive. Although since it has bluetooth you could even get them to connect if Lego would add that feature to the OS. Stacking bricks would not work well if you could not have them talk to one another.
odinstag
I was thinking of just making a wiring harness and linking them throught the sensor and output ports. Nothing to sophisticated.

So they still make these things?