FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How Do You Organize Your Music in your PC?

theLOGANhole
I really need to know how most people organize there music. I actually name each one with the Artist-Title and it really takes up time sometimes and I find this method really insufficient but I don't just want to throw it in My Music Folder and end up having to take 3 mins to find a song...Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

I was using iTunes for a while but I'm looking to keep my files named and organized properly also in Windows Explorer so when I change program it doesn't all screw up.
hsadmin
Well, a really easy way to do it is, make a folder on your desktop called "MY MUSIC", next step, make folders in that folder with the name of all your bands. Next step, make more folders inside those folders with the names of the albums. Then. of course, put your music files inside there..

Or, just put them in one folder, and find the song you want to listen to.
theLOGANhole
Thanks I've done something like that already...It's a good solution but I'm looking for something else. I don't know what though...

Anything more is appreciated

Thanks
hsadmin
have you tried using your library on WMP? ( Windows Media Player ). Thats also a good way to make playlists. Also, make sure you have the newest version of WMP from Windows.
theLOGANhole
Ya Didn't Like It, I tired iTunes, Winamp, and regualr Windows Expolorer Organizing...Anything new is what I guess I'm looking at just to get a feeling on how people organize there music...T

THanks for quick reply
Andrew426
I use the media library in winamp, I prefer winamp to WMP because the online media is much more organized and easier to navigate.
Blu_Spykz
I have a folder on my PC just called "Music".

Inside, I have the artist and track set out like this :

"Aerosmith - Dude Looks Like A Lady"

And I have the folder arranged "By Name" and "In Groups" with View:"Detail".

Although it took me a long time to rename all my tracks, it is now more efficient for me to find the random songs I want to listen to.

Rename them in blocks of 50 or something... So you don't strain your eyes, or get a head ache... then come back to it an hour later. Eventually they will all be done.
Darius
Well to eaze your file renaming, i suggest using "Tag&Rename". With this wonder you can rename files by taking info from it's tag and get tag from file name. Try all t's efatures, you'll love it. As for organizing...I got a folder my music, inside it there are artist names, inside those there are albums, but i always include year before album name. For example "2000 - Ressurection". That way while listening i easily see where are the older ones and where are the newer ones (songs that is) and ofcourse inside album folder there are songs. Each song is named in "Artist - Title" manner. By the way i make each first letter uppercase, somehow i like it very much.
theLOGANhole
Blu_Spykz wrote:
I have a folder on my PC just called "Music".

Inside, I have the artist and track set out like this :

"Aerosmith - Dude Looks Like A Lady"

And I have the folder arranged "By Name" and "In Groups" with View:"Detail".

Although it took me a long time to rename all my tracks, it is now more efficient for me to find the random songs I want to listen to.

Rename them in blocks of 50 or something... So you don't strain your eyes, or get a head ache... then come back to it an hour later. Eventually they will all be done.

Ya I'm bending more towards your idea, thanks for the help.
theLOGANhole
Darius wrote:
Well to eaze your file renaming, i suggest using "Tag&Rename". With this wonder you can rename files by taking info from it's tag and get tag from file name. Try all t's efatures, you'll love it. As for organizing...I got a folder my music, inside it there are artist names, inside those there are albums, but i always include year before album name. For example "2000 - Ressurection". That way while listening i easily see where are the older ones and where are the newer ones (songs that is) and ofcourse inside album folder there are songs. Each song is named in "Artist - Title" manner. By the way i make each first letter uppercase, somehow i like it very much.

Thanks you Darius and Blu_Spykz you kind of read my mind, that's exactly what I wanted. I will also try that program out I hope it does wonders...

Thanks everyone & If you have any other ideas don't be shy!!!
Srs2388
I just sort it alphabetically in folders
ex.
Music>Godsmack>(godsmacks album) the the music in the music in that album.

it works for me Smile
JBotAlan
Their site is down right now, but I used Musicbrainz to rename and tag my songs when I messed up (I transitioned from iTunes to OGG Vorbis and didn't have a single tag preserved). http://musicbrainz.org/ is their URL.

Don't want to sound like a commercial, but Musicbrainz is really neat. It does a frequency analysis of your songs and matches the keys up online. And it's all open-source and free. When I used it, it needed me to hold its hand through the process a bit (it wanted me to confirm quite a few tags, but very seldom was it wrong), but they might have a newer version up now that isn't so bad.

And right now, I have my music haphazardly scattered in my Music folder. I need to retag and rename, but at this point I don't really care.

JBot
spaz-o
With a strong fist, inflexible rules and of course, a leather whip.

Artist - Title.

Artist folders, Album folders. All under a "Songs" folder, where I just chuck the artist I only have under 4 songs by.
Nutteloos
JBotAlan wrote:
Their site is down right now, but I used Musicbrainz to rename and tag my songs when I messed up (I transitioned from iTunes to OGG Vorbis and didn't have a single tag preserved). http://musicbrainz.org/ is their URL.

Don't want to sound like a commercial, but Musicbrainz is really neat. It does a frequency analysis of your songs and matches the keys up online. And it's all open-source and free. When I used it, it needed me to hold its hand through the process a bit (it wanted me to confirm quite a few tags, but very seldom was it wrong), but they might have a newer version up now that isn't so bad.

Musicbrainz is indeed quite awesome. The amount of music I currently have is nearing 23 Gb so renaming everything by hand is impossible. Still, everything is neatly organized and ordered by [Artist]/[Year - Album]/[Track - Title].mp3
Coclus
I do it in folders, but you can use Windows Media Player too.
SimonWSTS
Personally I just organise my music into albums, I have mostly albums on my computer so in My Music i have a folder called Albums which contains all the albums I own each in a folder named "<Artist> - <Album Title>".

As I mainly have whole albums this works well, I only have a small number of tracks that I don't have the whole album of, so these are just thrown into another folder in My Music called "random tracks" to save creating a separate album folder which would end up only containing one song.
ddukki
I just stick them in "My Music" folder when I download them. If I rip a whole album from a CD, then I make its own little folder so its easier to move to my MP3 player.
The Mitchell
I generally use the media library on winamp but i also have it all layed out in a music folder then subdirectories of artist then album and keep all my compilations and split eps etc seperate.
soulman
I am using iTunes, it orgniaze my music folder automaticly by the order:

artist --> album --> [music number][music name]

... the disadvantage is, the folder will mass up when I import a album which published by different artists
photon
I have a separate partition where i have my music. It goes like this -> artist -> album -> song.

Certain songs are arranged according to the genre - like trance, electronic, instrumental etc
vm_yap
i have mine as:

my music\artist\album\track no - artist - song

all manually edited including tags (id3v2 only with track, artist, album, track no labeled nothing more hehe)

I use itunes to listen to them (sometimes I use this to edit tag for the whole album; e.g. album title)..

You might want to try the godfather music organizer.
Tuxy
I just put everything in one folder... Windows media player has a media library, making it easy for me to choose what to listen Very Happy
Seiji
In my library everything is put in order but albums. All my music is in a different language so the text is all messed up.
dac_nip
I put all my mp3 songs in a folder My Music or Songs>>then group them by artist>>then group them by albums>>mp3 file. I use Windows Media Player to create playlist to label, tag and rate the songs. I'm also using a plugin called miniLyrics which allows me to obtain song lyrics in the net without a fuss..then enjoy urself. you've got a mini videoke. If I'm using linux, i generally use amarok plus the lyrics plugins. search some audio plugins and additional scripts. there you go..that's how i do it. n i really enjoy singing. Very Happy
shwetanshu
I keep them as songs folder>>language (Hindi or English or Various)>>Artist/Movie
Insanity
I just have them all in a huge My Music folder, but most of them are tagged and organized... it helps to have a music organizing program.

Artist - Song Title forever!
gerontius
i use a great program named media monkey, and i sort my songs in folders... band/album name scheme... it works pretty well
Helios
I created a 20GB partition just for music Smile
Chalchihuitlicue
I usually arrange everything in folders by artist, with subfolders for individual albums and singles if there's more than, say, six or seven. There are some things I just lump together by genre, though, like my Indie Jpop (I don't have a lot of it, so there's no point in making folders for each individual artist) and Eurobeat (it's too hard to keep track of all the artists and their alternate names, so I just throw it all in one folder - but even then, I put the artist name in front of the song title).
saeleyjnr
I have an ipod, so sorta have to use iTunes.

It does the job and keeps things nice n tidy
SpellcasterDX
You don't need to use iTunes with your iPod. There are plenty of other programs you can use. Razz

I organize my music by making folders with the band name and sticking all the song by the band in their respective folders. I might organize it further by making folders within the band folders that have the name of albums and put the songs in thei respective album folders, but, just haven't found the time to do that.
Rosanova
Hi there,

I don't have any Mp3's on my pc anymore, do I organize you files in folders artist/year - title/# - track. I'm using Zortam to organize the id3 tags, and it can be found on following url:

http://www.zortam.com

I can just say that it's much better than much other expensive paid programs, and then does it even include a player.

Cheers!
slchap5
i have a hard time with this also. windows had all of my music sorted but then i got an ipod and itunes sorted it a whole differnet way. But since my ipod has since broken and i have gotton a zune. The zune software screwed the whole thing up. and now its a mess.
Nutteloos
Musicbrainz can help sort out 80% of your files without any input needed... you'll have to manually check the rest though, and for that job other programs are probably better.
qscomputing
/music/artist_name/album_name/01_track_name.[mp3|ogg]
Ducksteina
MP3\Artist\Album\Song.mp3 does it for me. Also, I'm using iTunes to rate every song and to create dynamic playlists. It's really cool to just turn on a playlist that has songs that you like, so you don't need to skip anything...
tingkagol
i'm using the old-fashioned way, folders. i load them up on winamp. winamp can also create playlists. i hate itunes, but i'm forced to use it for my iPod.
Central
i group the songs by artists and then i can go through all of the artists pretty easy. The ipod/itunes software does it this way i think. Thezune software does it differently though because i am trying to switch from ipod to zune but the two are definatly not compatable. They both screwd up the whole organization.
ChrisCh
I have a partition on my hard drive (M: drive) set out especially for music, with a folder for each artist in my library. It makes it so easy to find what I'm looking for!
Fright Knight
theLOGANhole wrote:
I really need to know how most people organize there music. I actually name each one with the Artist-Title and it really takes up time sometimes and I find this method really insufficient but I don't just want to throw it in My Music Folder and end up having to take 3 mins to find a song...Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

I was using iTunes for a while but I'm looking to keep my files named and organized properly also in Windows Explorer so when I change program it doesn't all screw up.

Same with me. I use the ARTIST - TITLE style. Then I make folders for each artist, then a folder for each LETTER so Artist Letter A can Be found in folder letter A and so on. I also separates the songs like NORMAL MP3 (for music), CLASSICAL (for classical music), SOUDTRACK (for movies and tv show's theme songs), WEIRD (for OST of computer games that I like), and PHILIPPINES (for all the folk songs of my beloved home land the Philippines. It also includes the Philippine National Antheme).

My sister has her own collection of MP3 but I don't know how she organize them. All I know is that she also Use the ARTIST - TITLE style. Better conduct an investigation though. haha.

Peace.
bigdan
I have one big folder, My Music, in My Documents, and in that folder, I have shitloads of folders with the Artist's name (e.g. Tenacious D), and underneath that, I have albums in their own folders (e.g. The Pick of Destiny and Self-Titled), and separate songs stay in the Artist's folder.

Since I use an iPod, therefore using iTunes, I only copy songs over that I would be transferring onto an iPod and go from there.
bigdan
Oh, and I forgot to mention. My files are named as <Artist> - <Song>. If they're in an album, it gets named <Artist> - <Album> - <Track No.> - <Song>. I use MP3 Tag Tools v1.2, it's free and does the job. Very Happy
theLOGANhole
Great Some Many Responses, I have a million ways now to organize my music thanks for all the input.
bcarasco
It's all in one folder. Then I have Windows Media Player, Itunes or Windows Explorer organize it for me. If the ID3 tags aren't updated when I put them in the folder, I update them.
Divinaeon
In a folder titled "Music" - oddly enough, I have folders for Artists. Inside each artists folder, I list Albums...and inside that folder I store the music. It also might help you to categorize by genre one level up from Artists, but the contant blurring of genres might make this difficult.
bigbadjohn
I use a brill free program to listen to my music on my pc. It has a great facility where you can click on a button to connect to Amazon.com and it will update all your id tags and will include cool info like name of track, cd name, producer etc and even some info on the CD you are tagging. You may also find a picture of the CD which you can attach to each track automatically.
You can also play the track with the built in media monkey player or use winamp if you have it on your computer. Excellent program...