FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Amazing crash...!

bambholebaba
I have WinXP SP2 PC and 256 kbps broadband connection from dataone (associate of BSNL India). I use external ADSL modem to connect to the net which was provided by my ISP. One day suddenly my computer started to crash when I tried to login to the internet (The connection is not "always on" type and it requires a user name and password to login each time I start my computer). After many affords to correct the problem, I succeeded to correct it by repairing the O/S from the recovery CD. Now I could connect to the net. I restarted the computer and again I could connect, but when I again restarted the computer, the problem was as before and the computer started to crash.
Then I noticed that it is a fixed pattern that after second restart after running the OS setup(only repair), system started to crash as soon as login to my account.
Since the problem started, I ran the setup several times and each time, it has the same pattern.
I turned off the automatic restart option after system crash and the error message and technical information on the blue screen are as follows...

Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area

Technical Information-

*** STOP:0x00000050 (0xFFFFFFCD,0x00000001,0x82327028,0x00000000)

Technical Information changes slightly in different restarts such as...

*** STOP:0x00000050 (0xEEAB0A70,0x00000001,0x8230802C,0x00000000)

When I connected my modem to another computer, it worked properly. Then I Installed (New Installation) the OS on one of my empty Hard disc partitions, It again worked properly. But when I boot my computer from old (original) partition, it behaved just like before.
I cann't understand at which level the fault lies and what may be the remedy. Please someone help me understand the mechanism of fault. I think that once I will format my hard disc, all the problems will be over but I want to know the nature of the problem.
I will be very thankful.
mystzero
To identify the problem, could you please compress(zip) the whole Minidump(located in C:\Windows) folder and upload it somewhere and tell me the URL to it.
bambholebaba
Thanks for your reply!
The rapidshare link for my compressed minidump folder (minidump.zip) is... http://rapidshare.com/files/11385106/Minidump.zip.html
Waiting for any useful suggestion.
blueray
What change you have did to your computer before it appeared crach ?
Did you remeber ?
mystzero
Based on your minidump files, Zone Alarm 's True Vector service (vsdatant.sys) is causing the problem. Well, you might want to try uninstalling it and see the problem still persists. If the problem is gone after you have uninstall Zone Alarm, the main culprit is no doubt Zone Alarm.
Later on, try to reinstall Zone Alarm again and check whether the problem comes back.
bambholebaba
Thanks for your help!
As you said, I uninstalled Zone Alarm, which corrected the problem but it came back after reinstallation. The technical information in the error report after crash is...

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0x00000005, 0x820B402E, 0xA5CFC458, 0x00000000)
I have uploaded the Minidump.zip folder again after this crash. The link is < http://rapidshare.com/files/11650472/Minidump.zip.html >.
The new dmp file created after this crash is "Mini011407-01.dmp".
I installed the same copy of Zone Alarm in the second partition of my hard disk, where I had installed the same copy of OS. From that partition everything is working normally.
One more thing to be noted is that the "vsmon.exe" file of Zone Alarm was not been deleted after uninstallation of the program and due to that file, Zone Alarm was not being reinstalled. The error message of Zone Alarm installer was...
"Setup is unable to log into the TrueVector service. Install cannot continue without logging into the TrueVector service. Please use the service manager to shut down the TrueVector service and then restart the installer program."
It seems to me that there are still some older deffecteive files or any configuration setting related to Zone Alarm remaining on the system even after uninstallation of the program, which are causing the problem to come back after reinstallation. What I deleted manually after uninstallation of the program are...
1.Registry entries related to Zone Alarm(I searched for the keyword "Zonealarm" in registry using regedit).
2.The folder "Zone Alarm" in "C:\windows\system32" which contained the file "vsmon.exe" along with some other system files.
3.The file "vsdatant.sys" in "C:\windows\system32" folder.

Please tell me what to do next. Should I leave the Zone Alarm firewall or this problem seems you to have some solution? Once in the past similar thing was happend with my antivirus "Kaspersky" which I gaveup to use after the problem and started to use AVG.

Thanks.
otiscom
Just get rid of Zone Alarm altogether!

Try annother firewall, plenty out there.
ronald.helpdesk
bambholebaba wrote:
I have WinXP SP2 PC and 256 kbps broadband connection from dataone (associate of BSNL India). I use external ADSL modem to connect to the net which was provided by my ISP. One day suddenly my computer started to crash when I tried to login to the internet (The connection is not "always on" type and it requires a user name and password to login each time I start my computer). After many affords to correct the problem, I succeeded to correct it by repairing the O/S from the recovery CD. Now I could connect to the net. I restarted the computer and again I could connect, but when I again restarted the computer, the problem was as before and the computer started to crash.
Then I noticed that it is a fixed pattern that after second restart after running the OS setup(only repair), system started to crash as soon as login to my account.
Since the problem started, I ran the setup several times and each time, it has the same pattern.
I turned off the automatic restart option after system crash and the error message and technical information on the blue screen are as follows...

Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area

Technical Information-

*** STOP:0x00000050 (0xFFFFFFCD,0x00000001,0x82327028,0x00000000)

Technical Information changes slightly in different restarts such as...

*** STOP:0x00000050 (0xEEAB0A70,0x00000001,0x8230802C,0x00000000)

When I connected my modem to another computer, it worked properly. Then I Installed (New Installation) the OS on one of my empty Hard disc partitions, It again worked properly. But when I boot my computer from old (original) partition, it behaved just like before.
I cann't understand at which level the fault lies and what may be the remedy. Please someone help me understand the mechanism of fault. I think that once I will format my hard disc, all the problems will be over but I want to know the nature of the problem.
I will be very thankful.

Page fault, maybe a RAM problem, try changing your RAM or switching the modules to another memory bank. I know it sound cruel, but, jus try it... get a memory module from a friend or something... and try
corey
Quote:
Page fault, maybe a RAM problem, try changing your RAM or switching the modules to another memory bank. I know it sound cruel, but, jus try it... get a memory module from a friend or something... and try
You are right. It is a memory problem. But its not a problem with the hardware. Itsa problem with how the programs running are accessing the memory space. The hardware is simply doing what its been asked to - store data. Its the software that's causing the problem. The memory being accessed has already been allocated and this is causing the crash.

I have to agree with getting rid of Zonealarm. Its never been very friendly with any programs that the rest of the world woks with. Its as if it thinks that its the only program that deserves to be on your computer. Get rid of it and rely on something a bit more stable. This program has been around for years and since it went past version 2, its been a buggy system resource hog. You could save yourself some grief (if you're on a broadband connection) and get a router and enable Windows firewall (or Sygate). Run an antispyware program regularly (such as Spybot Search and Destroy or Ad-Aware) and you'll be much better off than with Zone Alarm. You'll find that your computer is faster as well.