FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Does mod rewrite nescessary?

nappa
I'm running a PHP-nuke based site. I know that mod rewrite is a good choice to make the site that has many passing parameters to be a search engine friendly one.

However I just read on a blog (sorry don't remember the url of the blog) that google now is smarter than before the bot can crawler even when the site has many passing parameters.

Therefore do we really need to apply the mod rewrite? And I saw many people don't use the mod rewrite. For example I think frihost don't use mod rewrite (if I'm not wrong).
b4r4t
<META NAME="robots" CONTENT="NOARCHIVE">

That's why frihost doesn't care about mod_rewrite Smile

And bout mod_rewrite ... if You can use it - do it Smile Even if google can read links like ?mode=xxx&ddd=ass humans won't be able to remember it Smile ...
It's better to have "news.htm" than "index.php?page=news" Smile
Marston
^ Frihost actually does use Mod_Rewrite, however.
manumiglani
I always use mod_rewrite to make the site more SE friendly. However, I think one can ignore it when the url contains not more than 1 dynamic value or parameter.

b4r4t wrote:
<META NAME="robots" CONTENT="NOARCHIVE">
That's why frihost doesn't care about mod_rewrite

There is no relation between mod_rewrite and meta robots tag. It is a tag just to tell the search engine spiders not to keep a copy of the crawled page in SE's database.
anshu
anyway,
google try to track the original page than mod rewritten page...
Hobbit
Trust me, mod rewrite can bring you a lot of traffic. It's not really about being indexed, cause Google can index everything. It's about the people that will search for those titles.
solidghost
Ya, and when people your url, they tend to just copy & paste instead of giving it a proper anchor text. If you have keywords in your url, it acts as an anchor text.
SoftStag
Google can index the pages whether you use modrewrite or not, there is no issue there. Apart from making your URLs look prettier, you can have your keyword in your URL so these are also used by Google and help increase your rankings for these keywords. This is especially so if people link to your URL as a URL and not with specific anchor text, the anchor text becomes your URL and it contains those all important keywords.

On my forum, I use modrewrite to make to URL contain the title of the topic, and it does help.