FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

dogs

schumway
have 2 dogs now...

we lost our rotti last year... he was 13... miss him a lot... best dog I/we have ever had.

We also lost our sharpei/lab last year... 15yrs.

we now have a beagle corgi and a black lab. 12yrs and 6yrs respectively.

I would like to get another rotti but we now have a one year old girl so I dont think we have the time to look after a pet as well as house/family.
otiscom
Why not get a puppy and your baby and it can grow up together.

You will find the inseperable as time goes on, it's a pleasure to watch.
Shiine
When this is a dog topic, does someone know a little cute dog that doesnt fell hair?
Cuz my sister is a little bit allergic and we really wants a new dog.
I want a chiuaua, but does they fell much hair?

Btw my dad doesnt want a dog =(
woundedhealer
I think that as long as you can cope with the training of a puppy, this is a great time to get one. Dogs and children go great together.

Poodles don't shed. I've got a Pommeranian which doesn't shed, but she has to be groomed every day otherwise she'll matt. Pommeranians have got very fine fur which tangles easily. As a rule of thumb, you want to go for a breed that needs clipping.
jwellsy
My next dog I think will probably be a Labradoodle.
Half Lab and half poodle.
They are bred for the Lab temperment and the poodle hair.
You have to get at least a third generation one to get the
hypo-alergenic properties and no shedding.
woundedhealer
jwellsy wrote:
My next dog I think will probably be a Labradoodle.
Half Lab and half poodle.
They are bred for the Lab temperment and the poodle hair.
You have to get at least a third generation one to get the
hypo-alergenic properties and no shedding.

This cross was originally bred for guide dogs, so that people with dog hair allergies could still have a guide dog.
Annush_K
Shiine,
you may pick some hairless breeds of dogs. Also, all types of schnauzers are believed not to cause allergies.
woundedhealer
Annush_K wrote:
Shiine,
you may pick some hairless breeds of dogs. Also, all types of schnauzers are believed not to cause allergies.

Hairless breeds need a lot of care. In the summer their skin has to be protected from the sun. They need to wear a coat when it's cold. Their skin needs to be cared for. children prefer dogs with fur.
m00tmuffin
Another Corgi might work better for you, possibly? I've never owned one or a Rotti but most I know are just awesome dogs all around, and probably wouldn't need a super ton of maintenance, you know? Just a thought.
Hoggie
I am a pro dog trainer for Police security and customs as well as other private clients. The large numbr of people with allergies has meant many specific cross breeds have been created. The Labrodoodle is one such breed but it is rather a large dog as most of the time it is a cross between a labrador and a standard poodle.
They have a very sound temperament which makes them ideal for guide dog work.

Other dogs that might be suitable are:
Bedlington Terrier
Bichon/Yorkie
Border Terrier
Border Terrier
Cairn Terrier
Cockapoo (this is a cross between a cocker spanial and a toy poodle so it's realatively small)
Doodleman Pinscher (A large dog which is a cross between a Doberman and a Standard Poodle)
Giant Schnauzer
Irish Water Spaniel
Lowchen (Little Lion Dog)
Maltese
Malti-Poo (A small dog which is a cross between a Maltese and a Toy Poodle)
Miniature Poodle
Poos (A generic term for any breed specifically crossed with a Poodle)

etc etc etc..... there are hundreds of possibilities.
jwellsy
Hoggie, I need some training advice.

I have a 6yr old spayed yellow Lab that I want to train to stay out of the cat litter box and off my bed whenever she is left unattended.

She is rarely left unsupervised and never gets on the bed or eats cat poop when anyone is at the house. She is a biddable and well mannered dog.

She is crate trained and want's her crate door locked at nite when she goes to bed.

I am reluctant to lock her up in the crate every time she gets left alone for a few hours. She is very good about holding her bodily functions for 10 hours.

But, will eat any possible cat poop and drag the litter drippings through the house and onto my bed after only a couple of hours home alone.

I clean the litter boxes at least once if not twice a day and before we leave.

I just can't figure out how to train obedience even when left alone.
jwellsy
Also I have taken and made her sit next to the bed and the litter box and admonished her with stern "NO's" to try and train her to leave them alone.

She obeys me on everything else.
I am the pack leader.
When I'm there.
Hoggie
jwellsy wrote:
Also I have taken and made her sit next to the bed and the litter box and admonished her with stern "NO's" to try and train her to leave them alone.

This will have little or no benefir in fact it may be making the situation worse.

You can only tell a dog "No" if it is actually doing something you want it to stop at that time. In the same way as praise can only be given effectively when a correct command has been carried out.
She doesn't know why you are telling her off when all she is doing is sitting there. If you catch her actually playing with the litter or showing any interest in it then that is the time to give your stern "No" but beware that you don't actually encourage the dog into misbehaving so you can tell her off.

This sort of situation is always the most difficult as you are not there when the misdemeanour occurs.
Is there any way you can take the problem away by closing doors etc. Also consider the fact that she may be getting bored so look at a toy that can stimulate her. Toys that hold food are good for stimulating dogs and most labs I know love their food.

The fact that she only does it when you leave her suggests an insecurity issue. Do you make a big deal of the trouble she has caused when you return as this may well be seen by the dog as encouragement.
jwellsy
Hoggie, first off - Welcome to the Frihost boards.
This is a great place to get some free hosting.

You are absolutely right about performing corrections in the moment.
The few times that I have led her to those areas and said 'NO' was not done in a hateful voice, more of a calm warning voice. And, the times that I've done that she has behaved.

She does have some insecurity issues.
I try to do exercises with her to increase her self confidence,
like encouraging her to complete difficult retrieves, then going back to just basic easy stuff and working back up to more difficult tasks, making sure it always ends on a positive note.

Toys? OMG, she has tons of toys.
I let her play with about 3 toys at a time,
and exchange them about every month with others from her toy box.

I can stuff a Kong toy with peanut butter for her when we are gone.
She loves her treats.

I am worried about giving her food with preservatives in it.
She started having a few seizures, so we quit giving her any kind of processed flour (like pizza crust) and she has not had any more seizures in over 2 years.

Removing the temptations by closing doors could be bad if the cats happen to get isolated from the litter box.

When we find these kinds of messes,
we comment negatively about them
but don't flip out and go off on the dog.
Anytime she shows interest in the cat food or litter we get onto her.

I'm wondering if it could be a vitamin thing.
She never did have a litter.
I know nursing dogs will eat their pups poop to recapture the nutrients.

I feed her Purina Dog Chow and flax seed oil (alleviates her itchy skin).
I don't want to switch to overpriced Iams.
Maybe I should try some kind of multi-vitamin.

Anyway, thanks again for your help, and welcome to Frihost.
Jeff
Hoggie
Well it does sound as though you are covering all the bases.
Some dogs just love cat poo, it does contain a high degree of vitamins that cats simply pass straight through them so to some dogs.... not all .... it is highly desirable.
Is there any way you could put the litter tray where the dog can't get to it, perhaps up off the ground.

You say she has some insecurity issues and is happy to go in her crate at night. She feels safe in there even though you are not in sight. Does she go into the crate during the day on her own? Does she have access to the crate while you are out?

Do you have access to a video camera. I have a freind who is an animal behaviorist. He has used video cameras set up in the home to monitor what the animal does whileit is being left. It would give you an idea if she is getting stressed and how long it takes for her to decide to do what she is doing. You may need to do this several times to get an accurate idea of her behavior.
If she is showing signs of stress then maybe an item of clothing hanging on the outside of the door you exit through might help. The scent from the item will be around the door so she'll know you are near by.

The quickest way to solve this is to "catch her in the act" but this may involve a long and uncomfortable wait. She must not know you are watching her but you must be in such a location that you can give your stern no without her seeing you. this may need to be done several times for her to get the idea that no matter what she does you will always see her.
Trog
To cover a lot of bases in this post. We have 3 Pekingese. They're gorgeous little fellas with some serious attitude. The advantage of these little dogs is that if you groom them every day, you bond and you guarantee some quiet time away from all the hum-drum of life. They don't HAVE to be walked every day, because they're just as happy being a pain in the proverbial at home. If you do groom them each day you tend not to get moulting problems, which reducs the chances of someone suffering if they have allergies. And kids are more delicate with them because they seem so fragile. (They're not fragile btw...under all that fur they're built like bulldogs Smile)
woundedhealer
jwellsy wrote:

You are absolutely right about performing corrections in the moment.
The few times that I have led her to those areas and said 'NO' was not done in a hateful voice, more of a calm warning voice. And, the times that I've done that she has behaved.

Like Hoggie said, you need to say NO when she's about to eat the poo, it needs to be a sharp NO. I prefer 'a-a' to NO. A rattle bottle is also very effective.

She does have some insecurity issues.
I try to do exercises with her to increase her self confidence,
like encouraging her to complete difficult retrieves, then going back to just basic easy stuff and working back up to more difficult tasks, making sure it always ends on a positive note.

What are her insecurity issues?

I am worried about giving her food with preservatives in it.
She started having a few seizures, so we quit giving her any kind of processed flour (like pizza crust) and she has not had any more seizures in over 2 years.

Pizza crusts are not dog food. If you don't want to give your dog preservatives, give her fresh food - meat, rice, oats, fruit, vegetables, (check which ones are OK. DO NOT give onions, tomatos, grapes, I can't think of other banned ones at the moment). Garlic is ok, in fact it's good for them. it's best to avoid peas as they contain a lot of sugar, so are fattening. For treats you can give cooked chicken, cheese, fuit, veg. Do not ever give your dog people chocolate. It can kill dogs.

Here in the UK you can buy sausages from the petstore which are already cooked. I use them as high value rewards because my dog loves them so much.

When we find these kinds of messes
we comment negatively about them
but don't flip out and go off on the dog.

You shouldn't say anything at all. By commenting about it, your dog thinks it's done something right.

Anytime she shows interest in the cat food or litter we get onto her.

Just give a sharp NO or a-a or use a rattle bottle.

I'm wondering if it could be a vitamin thing.
She never did have a litter.
I know nursing dogs will eat their pups poop to recapture the nutrients.

I feed her Purina Dog Chow and flax seed oil (alleviates her itchy skin).
I don't want to switch to overpriced Iams.
Maybe I should try some kind of multi-vitamin.

Are you feeding red meat? that can cause skin problems. I give my dog raw meat from the petstore, a mix of 4 or 5 vegatables and rice. Not only is this a healthier diet, it costs less than store bought food.

Jeff

Trog wrote:

They don't HAVE to be walked every day, because they're just as happy being a pain in the proverbial at home.

Perhaps they should have a daily walk to stop them being a pain. A walk is not only about excercise. It gives them something else to think about, they're excercising their brains. They have so many new scents to sniff. If you can't excercise them every day, find a way of getting them to use their brains. There's lots of different things to try, to many for me to go into right now as it's almost time to feed my dog, Shelly, and she'll be letting me know soon.
blueman
dogs are the most lovely pets to have i think, they are so clever and loving and loyal to you which cannot be found in any other pets, it is upto you to decide whether it would be good or bad.
thealpha
i am sorry to hear that, I also think dog is the "special-est" animals in the world
woundedhealer
Dogs are my favourite pets as well. They give so much joy and unconditional love. It's such a pity that so many dogs are ill-treated, they do not deserve it.

Just yesterday I made the decision to put my dog Shelly before housework. I'm disabled and having a flare-up. By the time I finish cleaning I'm too exausted to do anything, even to play with Shelly. This upset me so much that yesterday I decided Shelly had to come first. I owe it to her. I made the decision to have a dog and I'm not going to let her down.