FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

"Named" Sub-Domains

Phil
On my Frihost account, I have my domain, www.nosaintshistory.com as a sub domain of phil.frihost.net.
Everything I've been reading says that most search engines and directories will penalize you if you have a sub-domain. Is this also true if your sub-domain is a named one, or can the search engine tell if it's not actually a top-level domain.
wumingsden
Phil wrote:
On my Frihost account, I have my domain, www.nosaintshistory.com as a sub domain of phil.frihost.net.
Everything I've been reading says that most search engines and directories will penalize you if you have a sub-domain. Is this also true if your sub-domain is a named one, or can the search engine tell if it's not actually a top-level domain.

I think it depends.

Second, www.nosaintshistory.com is not a subdomain, but a domain. phil.frihost.net is a subdomain, because the mail domain of it is frihost.net. If www.nosaintshistory.com has it's own folder in your cPanel, then it is a real domain, and search engines should have no problem.