FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computer Down, Internet dies..

Diablosblizz
Okay, my computer was down for about a week because of OS problems, but its now working and my internet is pretty much dead. How do I know this? First off, I am downloading slower then usual (right now at less then 100 kb/s and I should get about 1 gig or so I think).. and second when I take a speed test off of speedtest.net I get LOW results, then what I should be getting.

Speed Test Now:

Download: 607 kbps
Upload: 117 kbps

Speed test before:

Download: appx. 3000 kbps
Upload: appx. 600 kbps

My ISP says I should have:

Download: 10 Mbps
Upload: 640 Kbps

Now, that is not good, its like my internet cables have dust and is dusty Sad. So, I would like to know why is this so slow?

Thanks!
LukeakaDanish
Dust definitely doesn't make any difference what-so-ever.

I would check your connection settings,check your hardware, call your isp, in that order...
Diablosblizz
I don't know how to check any of those, really I am a gamer.. I don't know much about Windows.. any ideas?
LukeakaDanish
Diablosblizz wrote:
I don't know how to check any of those, really I am a gamer.. I don't know much about Windows.. any ideas?

call you isp. - quote the speedtest results.

If they don't want to help you, cancel your subscription with them (it sounds like they've always been ripping you of) and ask some pc support shop for help.
MonkeyBones
Everyone's so easy to just give up lol...

What I would do is run some spyware/adware/antivirus scans. This could be part of the reason your internet is slow. If nothing is found, contact your ISP and report the slowness. They may be having a host issue with one of the host boxes in your area.

Dusty cables is definately not the issue.

Another note, if you just upgraded to Tier 3 cable service with higher speeds and you have an older modem, your cable modem might need to be upgraded. I recently upgraded to 10mb cable service and had to buy a new cable modem because mine was acting similar to yours.
Diablosblizz
Quote:
Everyone's so easy to just give up lol...

What I would do is run some spyware/adware/antivirus scans. This could be part of the reason your internet is slow. If nothing is found, contact your ISP and report the slowness. They may be having a host issue with one of the host boxes in your area.

Dusty cables is definately not the issue.

Another note, if you just upgraded to Tier 3 cable service with higher speeds and you have an older modem, your cable modem might need to be upgraded. I recently upgraded to 10mb cable service and had to buy a new cable modem because mine was acting similar to yours.

Thank you for your post. I have already ran a spyware scan, and I just got back my computer so I don't think that is the problem.

Also, I don't know what Tier 3 is. My ISP is Cogeco, and I have a new modem that I need, it has internet phone combined, so I need it unless they want to replace that and I don't want to go there again. Though, I am having second thoughts about this ISP. When I first got this computer I had a OLD modem, like from the stone age, and it was the best one out there. Well, it never really liked my new computer, and I had to go back several times to get a working one. But, this ISP has been good to me too.

Anyways, I plan to phone them if it doesn't go back to normal, and yell my but off.
jwellsy
Sometimes a cable modem box will just lose its mind and need rebooted.
Unplug the AC power to the modem and if it has one remove its battery.
Leave it powered down for 30seconds.
Then put the battery back in and plug in the AC cord.
It will go through an auto reboot and should start working normally.

If you have a router you may have to do the same thing to it.
brothers
I would get some good antivirus software. I use Trend Micro's product. Price is right and it protects up to 3 machines.
Jaan
isp should fix it if ya ring em up. what are you trying to download? the speed doesn't usually depend on you, but who you're downloading from (eg bt).
if your router has a reset button you can try that, or for a hard reset hold it down for 30 secs.
you can try getting tuneup utilities, to properly configure your ip settings.
cheers.
Teddy1
There is also a possibility that the firmware of the cable modem needs to be updated. This is very risky though so make sure (if you're going to attempt this) that you have everything closed (msn/yahoo/firewall etc...) 'cause just one mess up and you could completely wreck your cable modem Sad. Just be careful Smile. I'd check with the ISP first see what they have to say for themselves.