FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

iPhone!

Jdakel
ipod has finally announced the release of there new ipod! but its a PHONE!
I know people have been hearing about world wide and everything but it's finally relesed! The ipod part has the features of the ipod 30 gigs with the video. The new phone is signed to Cingular and features full touchscreen compatibility! There is no more click wheel and it hold up to 8 gigs of flash memory. The Phone is a PDA phone baised system that allows you to surf the internet, check email, IM, and text message. One of the best features about it though is that when someone calls all you have to do is put the phone up to your ear and it knows to answer the call. Then when you take it down, the call ends!

go here for more info. http://www.apple.com/iphone
<3 much love and kudos to ipod
Saber
Well over all I think the phone is cool, but too pricey for me. The major problem with it at the moment is,

Quote:
This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained.

other than that, they also don't have the rights to the name "iphone".
So that also needs to be worked out.

As far as your last comment, the phone being able to detect if its at your ear or not, for picking it up, I think thats cool. But for hanging it up when you take it off, I think thats a really bad idea. For example, if you want to switch ears, or hand the phone to someone else to talk, etc.

And I guess that there is one other problem, and that would be if Cingular doesn't have good service in your area.

But, If I didn't have to pay for it, I would use it.(unlike most cell phones, and due to that I currently don't use one)

-saber
LukeakaDanish
I. Am. Getting. That. Sexy. iThing

OMG that is by far the coolest thing ever produced...

Anyone got any idea what the price might be, and when its due out (gotta save up...)
sixxphotography
Linksys owns the iPhone trademark and took action for it i believe today.

Other than that, I got the same kind of phone (Music, Pics, Internet) last month. Works good.
lastelement0
i for one hate apple and their products. i just can't stand them. i've tried out their computers and the infamous ipod. i just dont like them. i love my creative zen vision:m so much more than an ipod. being restricted to using itunes for transferring the music. and all the issues my friends have with it.

at first i was beginning to think google was trying to take over the world with all sorts of programs. now i think its apple trying to do so...whats next? an iCar?!? come on now.
pashmina
Sounds like a cool iPhone. I was planning to buy the new iPod , but hearing this news i should probably just wait until the iPhone arrives. It should probably give the sound quality like the iPod .
Saber
LukeakaDanish wrote:
I. Am. Getting. That. Sexy. iThing

OMG that is by far the coolest thing ever produced...

Anyone got any idea what the price might be, and when its due out (gotta save up...)

At the moment there is no date for when it should be out(that I know of). There are some problems that need to be worked out before that can happen.

As for price, the base model 4gb ram will be priced at $499.

Quote:
at first i was beginning to think google was trying to take over the world with all sorts of programs. now i think its apple trying to do so...whats next? an iCar?!? come on now.

oh and your comment about that, google and apple are working togeather on different things, just like how in the iphone google maps is built in.

For the "icar" there are already cars that have iPod slots built in, so I guess you could say that already happened.

As for the whole ipod deal in its self, I think they make great hardware, I agree that it shouldn't only work with Itunes but thats how it is. Other than that, I have only seen a ipod not work one time, due to being dropped out of a car.

The iphone has "lots" of "new" things built into it, but really its just new versions of things that are already out. Such as web on it isn't like other "smart" phones, its a real page, its not a stripped down version. My first thought about this was that text would be too small but they have a nice zoom feature that I think semi fixes the problem.

The other real nice thing that I like about it is that when you get messages you will be able to see the numbers/names of all the people that left you a message, and then you can pick what ones to listen to. Unlike most phone systems where you have to listen to them in order, only being able to skip it after starting to listen to it.

Picking what ones you want will be real nice for those times were you need to "not get the message" from someone.

If I ever do get one, not very likely though, I think the main worry(s) that I would have are, A. scratching the screen, and B. Forgetting it somewhere.

-saber
william
Yeah, I've been following the development of it for a while, and now I'm glad it's almost out. Recently, I've been saving up for a smart phone (a Sony Ericsson P990i) but now that this is coming out, I'm shifting gears. The iPhone is going to cost the same as the P990i, and even less if I settle for the 4 GB version.

I must say that I'm glad Apple finally launched this. I'm not much of a fan of any of their products except their software (Mac OS X, Safari, etc.) and some of their Mac computers. I hate the iPod and many of their other products.

I've been hoping someone would start using this technology for years, and Apple finally did it. There are still quite a few improvments I would like, but for now, it's pretty good. One thing that still annoys me is that Apple once again focused too much on design.
xxilim
That's to bad, Cisco has filed a lawsuit against apple for using the iPhone name, apparently it belongs to Cisco and all, they even want apple to pay royalties for it! all a bit silly in my opinion.
Jaan
steve wouldnt have called it the iphone unless he was dam shure he would be able to keep the name. i think apple will be able to use it in the end.
Animal
Personally, I think that the iPhone will have very limited success. One of its biggest selling points is the fact that it's an iPod as well as a functional phone. But in terms of cost and availability, it's at least $499 with a 2 year cell contract. That means that probably around half the iPod market (a load of iPod owners are youngsters) won't be able to buy it. It also means tying yourself down to one handset for two years - this may not be popular. I personally upgrade my mobile each year.

Recently, Apple confirmed that you can only use Apple software on the iPhone - this means that to add any additional functionality, you'll be adding additional cost.

While I think the internet capabilities are fantastic (with real email and web pages), in terms of actual phone usability, the iPhone has an Achilles Heel: it doesn't have physical "buttons". This sounds stupid, but I had a PocketPC/Phone with a touch screen, and found it absolutely impossible to send a text message while doing anything else (like walking etc...) since you need to concentrate so hard on where you're putting your fingers on the screen. If you watch the Apple Keynote when Steve Jobs was showing off the iPhone, he had a few problems with wrong buttons etc while he was typing. I don't think that I'd consider this a problem if I hadn't had a touchscreen phone before, but since I have experience with these, I don't think I would ever replace my every-day handset with a phone like the iPhone for this simple reason.

That said, I think it looks like a fantastic piece of kit and I would definitely consider the iPhone as a second phone. But then again, at $499... it seems to be "priced-out-the-park" in that instance too.
Sergiy
iPhone is realy cool. I hope to come to Europe in 2007 Very Happy
I will buy it because I have the Apple company for realy good company. I will buy iMac too in May and maybe iPod too. Laughing
jwellsy
An iphone is another thing that I will never buy.
It would be a total waste of time and money for me.
fadirocks
maybe I'll get one but heh maybe 2009 Shocked I just got a new phone so no need to get another one also don't look ver1 hardware I wait till few versions come out then I'll buy hehe
kiranaghor
iPhone is the one I have been waiting for last 8 months.
Now I plan to buy:
a macbook pro 17" when leaopard will be out!
Apple cinema display 32"
I alredy got ipod 80GB
and now iPhone is the way...
Ohh and I forgot to mention .mac.
Jdakel
well I dunno about a waist of time. There a TONS of things you can do with that phone much less use it as an actually talking device.

Personally, I don't think that I will buy it for the fact that A, I don't have cingular and don't plan or switching, and B, I have a phone that I love =].

I love the touch screen though. It's really inovative for apple to get rid of the wheel. I also heard that the next actual iPod will be like that...
johnsonap
Looks QUALITY with a capital Q, but once again isn't it pricing itself out of most markets (well certainly mine anyway), not sure on the actual release price but talking close to 500 aren't we?
good idea, wait 12months, but free on most phone copntracts or a cut at half that price.....still a quality invention though!
JamesBond
its features look great and i presume i am going to buy it if i get it for a good price.. (its price puts me off sometimes..)
jackill
What about free phone? Line Linux, it's now possible with Open Moko: http://www.openmoko.com/press/index.html It's nice opposition to iPhone. Hope they include mp3 player Smile
bcarasco
I can't wait to get the new iPhone. The visual voicemail feature is awesome, along with the touch screen. It costs a lot though.
orno
1) its got another 6 months to go, to release in the US (far behind europe/asia technology wise)
2) its 2007 and we're still on 2MP camera's? by the time this gets to europe, 5 MP camera phones will be standard
3) this for sure, isnt a phone for the masses

that said and done, fanboys will lap it up like there's no tomorrow
psycosquirrel
WaAaAaAAaaaay too overpriced.

I LOVE Apple. I HATE their prices.

Which is why I will never be one of their customers.
the6thfactor
I'll definitely be getting this when it comes out. No doubt.
johnsonap
Apple have got lucky, just like nokia did with phones orginally.
I got a new ipod shuffle for xmas, Ok its only 55, but other makes are out there that a very simular for half the price, but i wanted an iPod cos i know how good apple are.
Its always the same on every market, it all goes down to what badge is put on it.
If this iPhone was actually made by LG, would there be this mush want for it?
Must congratulate Samsung and Motorola on catching the lies of Nokia up, as 7/8 years ago everybody wanted a Nokia, its all swings and roundabouts with electronic technolgy.
william
Previously, I had some positive comments about the iPhone.

william wrote:
Yeah, I've been following the development of it for a while, and now I'm glad it's almost out. Recently, I've been saving up for a smart phone (a Sony Ericsson P990i) but now that this is coming out, I'm shifting gears. The iPhone is going to cost the same as the P990i, and even less if I settle for the 4 GB version.

I must say that I'm glad Apple finally launched this. I'm not much of a fan of any of their products except their software (Mac OS X, Safari, etc.) and some of their Mac computers. I hate the iPod and many of their other products.

I've been hoping someone would start using this technology for years, and Apple finally did it. There are still quite a few improvments I would like, but for now, it's pretty good. One thing that still annoys me is that Apple once again focused too much on design.

But now, I must admit that the iPhone isn't as great as it should have been. I commented on the iPhone after watching Steve Jobs introduce it, but after checking out the iPhone in depth, I saw a lot of flaws. First of all, you can't replace the battery (ugh...c'mon Apple). Second, you can't expand the memory. 4 GB and 8 GB will not be suffice for many people. Another thing is the software. Sure, it's pretty good, but there are a lot of applications you can't install. Why do I have to stick with Apple software? Also, although Apple didn't release any information about the internal compnents (CPU, RAM, etc.), I can bet the performance will not be pleasing for most people.

To add onto all that, Apple, once again, focused WAY too much on design. Honestly, I've never been fond of their "thin" and "clean" designs.

Oh yeah, has anyone ever heard of the LG Prada (KE850)? I doubt it. I'd have to accuse Apple of copying LG in this case.

Look quite similar, don't they?
Xeniczone
Quote:
ipod has finally announced the release

That company has a Name it's called Apple

Quote:
But now, I must admit that the iPhone isn't as great as it should have been. I commented on the iPhone after watching Steve Jobs introduce it, but after checking out the iPhone in depth, I saw a lot of flaws. First of all, you can't replace the battery (ugh...c'mon Apple). Second, you can't expand the memory. 4 GB and 8 GB will not be suffice for many people. Another thing is the software. Sure, it's pretty good, but there are a lot of applications you can't install. Why do I have to stick with Apple software? Also, although Apple didn't release any information about the internal compnents (CPU, RAM, etc.), I can bet the performance will not be pleasing for most people.

WTF do you think it is a MacBook. It's a Cell phone with MP3 and GPS functions. Not a smaller version of the MacBook. It has a small amount of memory because putting a hard drive into would be stupid. Hard drive would EAT the battery. Look at the Zune and the Video Ipod they don't have very hot battery life with their hard drives. Batteries have never been replaceable in Apple iPods. They probably don't need replacing anyway. Sony did the same with the PS3 controller. They might be using the same battery that the ps3 controller uses too where it can hold charges longer and can be recharged more times then a normal rechargeable battery, and won't need replacement for around 4 years of use. Most cell phones I have had lasted only a year. What makes this one different is most cell phones aren't 500 dollars Very Happy.

I don't think iPhone will replace the iPod just yet. Apple will probably make a cheaper version of the iPhone for iPod users just so they can have the same basic features of a touch screen and wide screen with more storage without all the expensive features the iPhone has.
jackill
It's chinease copy of iPhone: http://mp3.wp.pl/img_popup.html?id=81557&r=jpg

It have larger screen wiht better resolution. OS is Windows CS. Shocked
william
Xeniczone wrote:

Quote:

WTF do you think it is a MacBook. It's a Cell phone with MP3 and GPS functions. Not a smaller version of the MacBook. It has a small amount of memory because putting a hard drive into would be stupid. Hard drive would EAT the battery. Look at the Zune and the Video Ipod they don't have very hot battery life with their hard drives. Batteries have never been replaceable in Apple iPods. They probably don't need replacing anyway. Sony did the same with the PS3 controller. They might be using the same battery that the ps3 controller uses too where it can hold charges longer and can be recharged more times then a normal rechargeable battery, and won't need replacement for around 4 years of use. Most cell phones I have had lasted only a year. What makes this one different is most cell phones aren't 500 dollars Very Happy.

Of course not, it's a smart phone. In comparison to other smart phones, it lacks several things. For the memory, I never meant a hard drive, but rather an SD card slot (or some other card) so I could actually expand it. As for the batteries, that's one thing I've hated about some Apple products. Sure, but what if something happens to the battery. Anyone who knows his way around the phone could replace it, but guess what, it voids the warranty.

I'll be waiting to see the actual specifications of the iPhone. I REALLY doubt the performance will be near what people expect. As a simple phone with a music player, GPS, internet, etc. the iPhone is fine. But, until I know the actual specifications, it won't meet my taste. Anyhow, if I do buy one, then I'll trash the warranty.
clydejaw
Yeah that phone is sick.

The thing is, you can't catch up with technology anymore! everyday some random guy would just pop up and invent something so hardcore that takes us to the next generation of technology... e.g. iphone.

I'm a sucker for new technology. Keep them coming! I expect a robot that can cook me eggs and bacon in the morning... or maybe that has been invented aswell ?
Shin
I like the touch screen feature. but the size is a little too big to my liking.
ammonkc
Word on the net is that the processor will be a ARM PXA320 chip, and that there is at least 3 cores. I was just checking up on the PXA320 on wikipedia, and it looks like a processor with a lot to offer as far as performance.

This is what wikipedia says about the PXA3xx line when it was introduced:

" They demoed it showing its capability to play back high definition encoded video on a PDA screen. The new processor was shown clocked at 1.25 GHz... "

The ability to playback HD video is going to be pretty impressive.
mohd
The iPhone is an amazing product by Apple. This will surely "revolutionize" cell phones! There are many PDA's that also have simillar features such as the iPhone, but the iPhone is very sleek and has a great design! However, the iPhone is going to be very expensive for me! I would buy it only if the price falls real low!
kuka37
Well I saw the video iPhone presentation by Steve Jobs. I really like the phone. I think that it must be utterly stable and fast just like Macintosh computer. But it might be a little bit too pricey for me though. Anyhow, I have some tmime to consider it, as I have to wait until 2008 when it will be available in Thailand. Sad
kiranaghor
I sometimes why they have not put G3 capabilities in the iPhone. It has only edge. Apart from that iPhone is future.
johnsonap
pod has finally announced the release of there new ipod! but its a PHONE!
I know people have been hearing about world wide and everything but it's finally relesed! The ipod part has the features of the ipod 30 gigs with the video. The new phone is signed to Cingular and features full touchscreen compatibility! There is no more click wheel and it hold up to 8 gigs of flash memory. The Phone is a PDA phone baised system that allows you to surf the internet, check email, IM, and text message. One of the best features about it though is that when someone calls all you have to do is put the phone up to your ear and it knows to answer the call. Then when you take it down, the call ends!

go here for more info. http://www.apple.com/iphone
<3 much love and kudos to ipod

Do we have a UK release date yet? or should i go for the nokia N95 (wait for the boo's)
tmorrell1
it looks nice, but do you guys recommend waited for an update, or is apple pretty solid on their first releases?
agustin
I think its great and beautifull... it will be great. I will buy it defenitly!
psycosquirrel
I think it is overpriced.

I love Macs, love iPods, and hate my cellphone. I'm sure the iPhone could change the cellphone hate, but for that price, no thanks...