FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How much difference between 430W and 500W power supply?

eday2010
I would like to know how much of a difference there is between a 430W power supply and a 500W one.

The 430W one I am looking at has 9 4-pin connectore for drives and such, 2 SATA connectors, 2 floppy connectors, and a PCI-e connector.

The 500W one is only $10 more, and has 7 4-pin connectors, 2 SATA connectors, 1 floppy and one PCI-e. It also has a 140mm fan on the bottom, while the 430W one is normal (I plan on getting another case fan too).

Now, I like the 9 connectors on the 430W supply, since it gives me more breathing room to add more crap. I am currently using 5 4-pin connections. My current PS is 350W, and it runs fine, but It does not have any SATA connections.

The 500W PS is by Tao Tec, and the 430W one by Thermaltake. Is 70W that much of a difference?
tomahawk19
Honestly, you are probably going to be better off with the 9 pin Termaltake 430W, in part because of the quality of Thermaltakes. I've always been impressed with their cases and PSUs. The 70W difference won't be noticeable, especially since your current 350W isn't posing any problems.
cruzo
Well, in a way, SATA is a very probe technology so is a good idea think in support thoses devices another point in this matter is the cost, you mention the cost and is not very high so why not to get a more complete technology?
Do you know how much power are consumtion or planing to consumtion?
I think in most cases there is no a problem but If you are planning
to get more hard disc, more USB devices, maybe extra fans
or a vide capture card maybe you need to think in get 500W one
I mean everybody start with something symple and adding this stuf and adding other devices an adding a new card .

So think abou it.
If you have something like or planning to have
2 hard disc, 2 USB devices, one extra card to do something, networking environment , floppy, two CD/DVD,Sound Card so go for 500W.
eday2010
As it stands, my 350W power supply powers the folling items:

2 Hard drive (80GB and 250GB)
2 LG DVD Burners
1 Floppy Drive
1 Case Fan through the motherboard
1 PCI-Express 256meg nVidia Graphics card.

I have a plug for one more 4-pin device, and I THINK I may have a SATA power connector as well. I am not sure. But if the 350W supply I have now is handling all this stuff I currently have with no problems, then I think a 430W one will be able to handle a couple more hard drives at max and another fan, expecially when it will have 4 extra 4-pin plugs, so I assume the power supply can handle the amount of plugs it comes with Smile
jwellsy
I have never heard of Tao Tec.
So right off the bat I would have to question their reliability.
If it burns out in the 13th month, you will be pissed.
I would go with a brand you recognize.
eday2010
TaoTec is a Canadian company; they only sell products at a store in Mississauga, Ontario, and at PC Cyber in Ottawa.

However, unless someone makes a fantastic point about 500W over 430W, I will be going with ThermalTake's power supply Smile
mystzero
Well, the 70W differences doesn't really matter. Since you are not running on a SLi setup, the differences might not be very significant and 430W is more than sufficient. Judging from that, the power rating of the PSU won't be the important factor to determine your choice. Thus, the only thing left to consider is the number of connectors available and the amount of amps the PSU emit through the +12v Rails. Therefore, i would recommend the Thermaltake 430W PSU.
flameboy1974
As others have said the Thermaltake is a quality power supply if it says 430 watts that is what you'll get. The Taotec on the other hand sounds like a generic power supply. It has been my experience that generics only run the quoted wattage under a bare minimum of draw from the power supply. Once you add two optical drives, more than one hard drive, video card, some usb devices the wattage lowers. Most generics I used under a normal draw have about 50 to 75 watts less than what they quoted at. that being said I think you know what you need to do.
eday2010
One reason I was leaning towards the Thermaltake PS before posting was because of the number of connectors. 9 is better than 7, so that is what I am going for.
diduknowthat
Can you give us the detailed specs of the PSU's, especially the amps on the 12v+ rail? The 500watt means almost nothing as it can concentrate all its power on the lower volted rails when the 12vrail(s) is more stressed by PC's today.
eday2010
This is all the information from the storw website where I shop.

Quote:
TaoTec 500W 140mm Fan Power Supply

- 14cm/140mm LED Blue Cooling Fan
- CE,CSA&UL Approved
- Temperature Control
- Golden Fan Grill
- Black Mirror Coation
- Black Mesh on all cables
- 1x20+4pin Main Power
- 1x4pin + 12V
- 7x4pin and 1xFloppy pin 2xSATA Cable 1xPCI Cable

http://www.pccyber.com/scrItem.asp?product_subtypes_id=800&product_types_id=30&product_id=9138

Quote:
Thermaltake TR2 430W Power Supply

- Support 6-pin PCI-Express connector
- Dual 8cm fan, provide best air-flow to cool your PC system
- Intelligent Black Cable Sleeving, provide optimum air flow inside the case
- Protections against Over Power, Over Voltage, Short-Circuit, and Protection Reset
- Safety / EMI Approvals: FCC, UL, CUL, CSA, and CE certification
- Model: W0070RUC
- Maximum Power 430 Watts
- Switch
- ATX Logic on-off
additional power
rocker switch
115/230 V selector switch)
- Cooling System
Dual 8cm Fan:
SPEED:
2400 RPM(+/-10%)
DIMENSION:
80 x 80 x 20 mm
TEMP. AUTO CONTROL
3010 rpm at 25¢XC~
3070 rpm at 40¢X
- Noise 19dB at 2000RPM
- P.G. Signal 100-500ms

http://www.pccyber.com/scrItem.asp?product_subtypes_id=137&product_types_id=30&product_id=6147
tomahawk19
eday2010 wrote:
As it stands, my 350W power supply powers the folling items:

2 Hard drive (80GB and 250GB)
2 LG DVD Burners
1 Floppy Drive
1 Case Fan through the motherboard
1 PCI-Express 256meg nVidia Graphics card.

I have a plug for one more 4-pin device, and I THINK I may have a SATA power connector as well. I am not sure. But if the 350W supply I have now is handling all this stuff I currently have with no problems, then I think a 430W one will be able to handle a couple more hard drives at max and another fan, expecially when it will have 4 extra 4-pin plugs, so I assume the power supply can handle the amount of plugs it comes with Smile

My 430 W Antec PSU runs:
4 HDD (SATA)
2 Burners (1 DVD, 1 CD)
Memory Card Reader
2 GeForce 7600GT SLi Cards
Wireless Adapter, and like 4 or 5 Case Fans

With no problems whatsoever. And BTW, I love my computer setup.