FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My own game

Boffel
Because its not any game creations forum, I post my game here.

* Name: Wilderness
* Category: 3D RPG
* Size: 9 MB
* Version: Betatest 6
* Resolution: Full screen
* Changes Resolution: no
* Multiplayer: no
* Download Link: Download (Winzip required)
* Forum: http://www.wilderness-forum.co.nr
* Official site:: Click here
* Screenshots: Link

Latest News:

A new version has come!

You can now buy a bow, and fire it.

Rain is added

New models

And many more things, just Download it!

Info
This game is a newer version from my old 2d game, that I have started making from new in 100% 3d!!! You can see the 2D version of the game on my old site: www.boffelproduction.co.nr

Known bugs:
Some texture bugs with the models.

Rain go throug the roofs and water.

Do you suport 3D wilderness? Put this in youre signatur:
Code:
[url=http://www.boffelproduction.frih.net/wilderness][img]http://www.boffelproduction.frih.net/wild-banner.gif[/img][/url]

What do you think about the game? Comments please Very Happy
darth_revan
Which programming language and API do you use?
Psycho_X52
What is the CPU usage?
Boffel
It is made with gamemaker 6.1 (So it the language is GML..)

And sorry... CPU Usage? I dont know what it mean, im from norway. Can you explain it? lol Embarassed
Sergiy
I creating my games with FPS game creator Laughing
enygmasoft
I have done all my games using Dark Basic Professional. It gives you the freedom to do anything. Which is why I have my website
http://www.enygmasoft.com
was posted as gallery board for my work. All the graphics on the website and everything on it has been done by me, including the game graphics, but still a very early BETA that is posted on the website for my game Aeons Tales.
Boffel
Nice game and site Very Happy

Keep up the good work and newer give up. Gamemaking can be realy boring when you use to long time on one game. But if it start beeing boring, just take a break in a week or something then start again Wink

But today I have actually made alot new things to my game. You can now cut down almost all trees, the day and night is longer, a bether menu and inventory is added.

This is not downloadable yet, but it comes soon ;D
Sneemaster
How do you like using Game Maker 6.1? Does it work well? How easy is it? Did you use the full version or the trial version? I've been testing various different languages and game engines to see which is easier. So far I've tried C++, VB 6, VB.Net, FLash 8/Actionscript, C#, and OpenGL, DirectX, Irrlicht, Torque, and SDL.
ShawnKelfonne
Personally, I'm just amazed that you've managed to get something 3D out of Gamemaker. I heard it was a really painful process to get it to do anything halfway decent.
Duncan Idaho
Looks pretty nice. I use Worldcraft(not sure what version, it works for Half-Life 1) to make maps.
Sergiy
3D gamemarker is for me bad. I like FPS creator.
Boffel
Sneemaster: Im using gamemaker 6.1 full version, and actually it is very easy to use, but also very limited.

If I should start using another 3D GM program, I would start with Dark Basic. I have heard that is the easiest and best language for 3D GameMakers.

But the reason I still making games in gm 6.1 is because a guy is making a java converter, so when it is complete I can have my 3d games online in java, played in youre browser Wink
enygmasoft
Boffel wrote:
Sneemaster: Im using gamemaker 6.1 full version, and actually it is very easy to use, but also very limited.

If I should start using another 3D GM program, I would start with Dark Basic. I have heard that is the easiest and best language for 3D GameMakers.

But the reason I still making games in gm 6.1 is because a guy is making a java converter, so when it is complete I can have my 3d games online in java, played in youre browser Wink

Not a bad option. It really becomes of how much freedom do you want. Freedom comes consequnces. Any games creation tool like gamaker has its predifined rules, for inserting media, as well as the type of icing that you can add to that, but with those restrictions comes the abilty to point and click a game together, which is easier and less headache inducing than to actually program a game. However, I can do anything I want to with that. The only real limitation becomes the hardware I am working on and squeezing 60 fps. With that being said I can add many options to make my game less hardware intesive, but I have to add every single detail I want to add to my game.

For example, most of these programs have rain effects, built in. I would do no only the graphics for the rain, but also decide if I want the heedache of realism attached, which means I have to go into my physics book and look up fluid dynamics, find the equations that will make me happy and then prey it doesnt kill the frame rate. It's fun work?
or I can take the easy just make it eye candy, which doesn't react to anything. Less CPU intensive, but less pretty.

I like the freedom, but programming is not the most time consuming thing. I did not realize this until I started to actually graphics, both for the website and my game. My graphics can't compete with a professionals, because I dont have 18 months to model, while another guy textures and another guy animates. It's a group process, that I couldn't compete with If I quit my day job and did that until I died. I don't have that kind of time
maybe immortality would help. My goal have been atleast N64 graphics, and I am surpassing that by a big leap. I wouldn't call them game cube graphics, although certainly in between, and they are all being done by me.
exarkun
I have tried game maker 6 before recently, because I have a school assigment on doing a game using that program. The outcome wasn't that nice, but I guess I make it through.. I will upload it share it the next time. =)
enygmasoft
Sneemaster wrote:
How do you like using Game Maker 6.1? Does it work well? How easy is it? Did you use the full version or the trial version? I've been testing various different languages and game engines to see which is easier. So far I've tried C++, VB 6, VB.Net, FLash 8/Actionscript, C#, and OpenGL, DirectX, Irrlicht, Torque, and SDL.

I fell in love with dark basic Professional, because I dont have to code parsers to get every file type I want to use, and it uses Direct X 9c
including shader functions, that I did not have to code.
apexcaliber
I'm at work right now but definatley gonna try this when I get home. The concept sounds neat, but I'm more interesting in reading about things you are implementing. Not really harping for new features just like reading people's progress and what they had to do it:)
Boffel
All peoples that posted here, should vote at this: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-62969.html topic as it looks like its many GameMakers here. Its about a new Game Making forum, and it looks like you all that posted here is very interested in gamemaking.

But ok, enough talking about Game Making, cant please anyone argument my game?

Something I can improve?

How do you like the walking system?

Got any ideas?

Found a bug?

Etc... Please post comments Smile
enygmasoft
Boffel wrote:
All peoples that posted here, should vote at this: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-62969.html topic as it looks like its many GameMakers here. Its about a new Game Making forum, and it looks like you all that posted here is very interested in gamemaking.

Something I can improve?

Got any ideas?

Found a bug?

Etc... Please post comments Smile

I put up my vote, but sadly I agree its not going to be a popular one. For one there are so many different programs that as game maker, you have to be familiar with. In that simple demo which is far from finished, I have used these programs:

InkScape
Gimp
TrueSpace 5.2 for all the 3D modeling which still working on getting them done and posted on the demo.
Terrain Editor 5.5 - to generate terrains for games
Terragen - simliar to bryce 3d in functionality and I used to create the Skybox
Texture Maker
Advanced Installer to create installations for my games

These are all visual graphics tools, which cover all the graphicals needs from 2D to 3D that my game will ever use. However, I still haven't begun looking at music or sound generation programs, which so unbelievably important. And of course DarkBasic Professional and its mess of additions to get game to where it stands. I am using the Newton Dynamics DLL to implement physics in my game, which adds complexity to my command set, and also has me rethinking game Design with Physics Simulations in mind Instead of playing god with the world. Physics Forces me to loose control over every detail. I now setup the rules of Physics for the objects and let them play together. I still have add enemies and AI programming is fun. It would make my life easier to use the Dark AI plugin, and in fact I do have that. Still need the model the bad guys before I can use this.

I'm probably one of the few poeple that you are ever going to meet that can call that fun.
Boffel
Did you read the first post on the topic there?

Because there I have wrote its gonna be a forum about all Game Makers, not only gamemaker....

And did you read this?

Quote:

Something I can improve?

Got any ideas?

Found a bug?

Etc... Please post comments

Well anyway, Im glad you voted but leave messages like that at the other forum where you voted. Wink
reddishblue
Man you should be proud, an occasional Game Maker 6.1 user myself and a member of the GMC that is one of the best made 3D GM games I have seen.
You should make the walking uphill make you slower and a control to make to switch to 3rd person as well as the pretty clear stuff like NPCs and Enemies, a quest maybe?
Keep on working on this game, it will be very successful in the end.
Good Luck!
rayx
Good Work ! ! !
enygmasoft
Boffel wrote:
Did you read the first post on the topic there?

Because there I have wrote its gonna be a forum about all Game Makers, not only gamemaker....

I know you talking about game making in general, not the program itself, Actually though Im surprised by the response we are getting here.
Boffel
Reddishblue:

I can make the walking uphill slower, but I dont think I will add 3rd person yet. Quests will of course come, and you will also be able to kill animals and build houses later. Smile

Rayx:

Thanks Very Happy

enygmasoft:

Why do you post youre own game here?

Please remove it, and make a new topic for it or something... k?
blueboy
Quote:
It is made with gamemaker 6.1 (So it the language is GML..)

I also use GM6.1
Shiine
Im downloading your game now, and i hope its good.

Actually, im using GM too, and dont think that so many ppl know how much time you spend on creating a good game with it.
They say: Huh you cant make good games with Game Maker, and its just drag 'n' drop.
But thats not what it is, in my opinion, Gamemaker is quite good, when you know GML, my friend knows it, but i just make the sprites. We have started on a Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game.
If you have ever heard of Maple Story, you know how our game is going to be like.
I mean, you cant make a good 2D style WoW game nowadays, so when we just can make 2D, we have to make it sidescrolled, like Super Mario Bros, and i think thats a good idea. Because Maple Story can have things that no other game can have, its like a sidescrolled fighting game, and in WoW i just see a normal rpg battle, and with saying that i mean that first the character hit, then the monster hit, and so on.
So this will be better, it will be beatiful backgrounds, and fastplay.
I will make a topic for this game later on if we can get some sort of database to work with.
But for now we will only host it on a server, and all the accounts is small notepad documets that will be saved on the servercomputer, if we would have a database it would be alot easier, but thats another story.

EDIT:
Oh my this game is quite good, its good graphics to be made in GM, so applause to you.
But one thing, wheres the animals? I wanted to hunt down some animal, i got my bow, but nothing to do with it.
But it has really good potential.
blueboy
If you don't know GML well start learning because D&D is just useless.
shaun6
I like this game!
Shiine
Work on the game harder, and try make beatiful effects, because, if a game has low graphics, it shouldt be detailed in my opinion, but having cool effects instead, it would be really great, speedy and many effects, thats a thing you should think of.
One thing you can think of making a FPS game (sort of), thats making the mouse cursor the movement of the head (the whole time), now we have to right click on the mouse instead or click on the arrows.
So that would be alot better. Im not saying your game should be throw away, i just help you too se how the game can be developed in a better way.
Boffel
blueboy: Nice Smile

Shiine:

post1:

The bow will be bether later, and I will also soon add animals to kill and houses to build. Very Happy And also the bow will get a bether graphic later lol.

post2:
Sure, I will add alot of details to the game later, like more grass, water plants, more bushes, more trees, animals, rocks, a cave, and a crashed boat is already added to the next version.

And about the mouselook...

In next version you will be able to turn the mouselook on by pressing C, and off by pressing X. You will also still be able to use the right mouse button. Hope you will like that Very Happy

shaun6:

Thanks alot Wink

And other news about the next version:

Next version got a longer night and a longer day.

It got more models.

You can turn the mouselook on and off with C and X.

you can cut down all trees with a bether system.

A new menu and inventory.

You can chose your male.

It will come rain sound when it rains.

Enjoy it, and wait for the next version! Very Happy
Boffel
Ok, as you can see I have now also updated the banner in my signatur. So if you suport this game, put this code in your signatur:

Code:
[url=http://www.boffelproduction.frih.net/wilderness][img]http://www.boffelproduction.frih.net/wild-banner.gif[/img][/url]
enygmasoft
Boffel wrote:
Reddishblue:

enygmasoft:

Why do you post youre own game here?

Please remove it, and make a new topic for it or something... k?

Sorry, its clear
Boffel
Thanks alot! Smile

But your game looks realy cool, so you should post a new topic about it.

(If you not already have did that of course...)
enygmasoft
Boffel wrote:
Thanks alot! Smile

But your game looks realy cool, so you should post a new topic about it.

(If you not already have did that of course...)

Not a bad Idea, but yep still has debugging to do. I am using a Dll to use physics and I am having issues with the terrain I am using. Apperantly I need to be on flat surfaces to shoot, but the functions I am using are working correctly, when they work.

I hope It's resolved soon.
Boffel
Nice Smile

----------------

By the way...

If you have any good ideas for the game, you can post it in the wilderness forums:

www.wilderness-forum.co.nr

I think it can be very usefull now, because I post all news Im dooing with my game there everyday. Also the latest game version will always be there. And later when I get more peoples there it will be alot more to talk about. Very Happy

And also, if you are a good 2d designer or low polygon modeler, you can join this game.

So visit the Wilderness forum. Wink
budazz
its a nice thing that you can create your own game
enygmasoft
budazz wrote:
its a nice thing that you can create your own game

Very nice work that it is, but yep its not too hard. Just a matter of how time do you want to spend on it.
stephancreelle
eeh , soo nice , your own game in a graphical way. but im now scripting some game in java , just for fun , and im hoping to script it in flah for the graphical subject.
Boffel
Thank you all Very Happy And for those thats interested in gamemaking, I now made a topic for it Smile

Quote:
Very nice work that it is, but yep its not too hard. Just a matter of how time do you want to spend on it.

Not hard? Well, you get alots of problems while you make the games.

But true, It takes alot of time.
Cee_Jay
Guyz..i have been spending a lotta my time with pc games...playing ..editting..modding etc... and for continuing my experiennces in thsi world ...i also want to pace in sole game designing..to make one frm the begining instead of customizing ready made games....

Can you suggest me some good software... I NEED A FREE ONE TO START... consider the ease-to-use while recommending...coz i haven't done any before
Shall be grateful
enygmasoft
Cee_Jay wrote:
Guyz..i have been spending a lotta my time with pc games...playing ..editting..modding etc... and for continuing my experiennces in thsi world ...i also want to pace in sole game designing..to make one frm the begining instead of customizing ready made games....

Can you suggest me some good software... I NEED A FREE ONE TO START... consider the ease-to-use while recommending...coz i haven't done any before
Shall be grateful

Are you looking at programming? because if you are, I would suggest DarkBasic Pro, while its not free its worth ever Penny,because It allows you to do any type of game you want. I supports everything that is used in Direct X9c, including shaders, multiplayer gaming.

They also have the program call FPS creator, which allows you to modify everything. The only real limitation comes in the fact that it cant do 3rd person games.

In terms of free game making programs, there quite a few, but they are limiting in what you can make with them.
Cee_Jay
thx a lot ... but as i tols you already i want something so begine ...to take a first step! i would really be greatful if you can direct me to the limited n free tools...may be laterzz i can go to the professional tools after expansion of my area of work/skills...it was encouraging to see such a reply..waiting for another one
alalex
i am downloading your game! and i will put it also in my sig when i have time. i also created a new banner pic, i was kind of bored and it looked fun!
its this:
enygmasoft
alalex wrote:
i am downloading your game! and i will put it also in my sig when i have time. i also created a new banner pic, i was kind of bored and it looked fun!
its this:

Nice banner.
enygmasoft
Cee_Jay wrote:
thx a lot ... but as i tols you already i want something so begine ...to take a first step! i would really be greatful if you can direct me to the limited n free tools...may be laterzz i can go to the professional tools after expansion of my area of work/skills...it was encouraging to see such a reply..waiting for another one

Google rules for finding free programs for that, but the one used to create widernes, has a free version.

http://www.gamemaker.nl/

what graphics programs are you planning on using, since the gamemaker free version supports 2D graphics?
Mokona
seems good..nice job man
Cee_Jay
for vectorgraphics and animations..i have worked a lot in flash... and for graphical mixing i have been on photoshop and ulead photoimpact mostly
i dont know how and to what extent these skills will help me in desiging...let's see , i m starting this gamemaking stuff in 2 days..( cureently caught up in my universty exams:) )
hmm i have also worked in 3d studio mix somewhat!!
thank you anywayz!
Boffel
alalex:

Wow! I love your banner! Thx alot, I will change my own to yours if I can. Very Happy

Can I?

Cee_Jay wrote:
for vectorgraphics and animations..i have worked a lot in flash... and for graphical mixing i have been on photoshop and ulead photoimpact mostly
i dont know how and to what extent these skills will help me in desiging...let's see , i m starting this gamemaking stuff in 2 days..( cureently caught up in my universty exams:) )
thank you anywayz!

You should see the list in the new Gamemaking topic Very Happy

But if you dont want to, I would say Game Maker (www.gamemaker.nl) is a good program to start with. Its also free Smile
Srs2388
Cool, you made a game?
I will check it out when i get home from school. Smile
enygmasoft
Cee_Jay wrote:
thank you anywayz!

Very nice toys, and those will help tremendously, and you can use 3d studion max to make the models, and use those to make Animated Sprites. I am using the poor man's Software, mainly Inkscape for vector graphics, and GIMP for Raster graphics. For 3d modeling and Animation I am using TrueSpace 5.2. For games, you do need some sort of terrain Editing Tool. I am using T.Ed. for that
and the files it export work well in Dark Basic Pro.
Pryme8
thats pretty cool, I was working on a game myself at one point! I was trying to do a throw back to the old 8 bit graphic RPG's ^_^... kinda ran outa steam though...
enygmasoft
Shiine wrote:
Im downloading your game now, and i hope its good.

Actually, im using GM too, and dont think that so many ppl know how much time you spend on creating a good game with it.
They say: Huh you cant make good games with Game Maker, and its just drag 'n' drop.
But thats not what it is, in my opinion, Gamemaker is quite good, when you know GML, my friend knows it, but i just make the sprites. We have started on a Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game.
If you have ever heard of Maple Story, you know how our game is going to be like.
I mean, you cant make a good 2D style WoW game nowadays, so when we just can make 2D, we have to make it sidescrolled, like Super Mario Bros, and i think thats a good idea. Because Maple Story can have things that no other game can have, its like a sidescrolled fighting game, and in WoW i just see a normal rpg battle, and with saying that i mean that first the character hit, then the monster hit, and so on.
So this will be better, it will be beatiful backgrounds, and fastplay.
I will make a topic for this game later on if we can get some sort of database to work with.
But for now we will only host it on a server, and all the accounts is small notepad documets that will be saved on the servercomputer, if we would have a database it would be alot easier, but thats another story.

It would be nice if you could use GameMaker to connect directly to the Database, but it does not have that functionality does it? If it can read text files, you should be able to make a program that connect to the database and saves the info to the text file. You are using a website now right. Is it IIS or or an Apache server the web server is running?
alalex
boffel:
of course you can use mt banner! i will also give you the psd file if you want! Very Happy

I still didnt have tme to play your game, but the screenshots looked realy cool!! Exclamation
Boffel
Thx alalex! But I dont think the game is so realy cool to play with now, but the next version will be alot bether, I promess.

But you can still do some cool stuff there.
enygmasoft
Nice logo, you should setup a gallery for them on the site.
enygmasoft
Boffel wrote:
Thx alalex! But I dont think the game is so realy cool to play with now, but the next version will be alot bether, I promess.

But you can still do some cool stuff there.

You should do a competion for banners, setup a gallery for those.
Boffel
Perhaps later... I have enough to do now. Confused
=O
u made it?
that's a good game but is short Razz
dz9c
To boffellproductions:
I Have a proposition for you. Me and some friends of mine have planned out a console and have a developer person making the software now. Its going to be a linux based console. We may want to offer your wilderness game as the first game to be made for this console. Our console software is not near completion yet so is your game so hopefully we'll meet up in the middle and be done around the same time. Message me back if your interested to take your game to a new level!
Boffel
How cool Very Happy Thanks very much, I would be glad to have a console included for my game!

By the way:

I just managed to get animals walk around on the terrain in my game, so the next version will include animals.

I also think the next version will come soon, I just need to make a new design on the main menu and game menu. I also has to make the animal models bether...

But I getting closer to the next version Very Happy
reddishblue
I found a not-so-much bug as a weird thing http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wildernessqx6.jpg go there to see.
Its the fact that in the distence everything becomes light blue and the water becomes dark blue, it looks awful to me.
Boffel
I know the fog is realy ugly, so later I perhaps need to find another way to make it.

Anyway, thanks for posting it! Wink
Flakky
Sneemaster wrote:
It is possible using Irrlight and OpenGL with the simplicity from GM. I recommend it. Wink

and about your game, you should really fix the fog Shocked
lukeropro
It looks really cool, it's not online, is it?
tony
Sergiy wrote:
3D gamemarker is for me bad. I like FPS creator.

yaya - i agree. but it appears this user has done a good job with gamemaker in 3d - an amazing feat for his day!