FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Usenet

raaeft1
I am a virtual newbie so far as newsgroups are concerned. Would some experienced people help me out by telling me whether Usenet is free and how I can subscribe to the boards and access the same using newsgroup reader. Or one has to pay to Usenext and similar programs to access Usenet boards.

Can one also access usenet baords through Google Groups or are these different entities.
RT Cunningham
It depends on your ISP whether you have access to USENET through your service, but the answer to your question is yes, the USENET is free. Google Groups is one way to get USENET threads without using a specific client. I recommend, however, using a client to subscribe to the threads you want to follow.

You can find some free USENET servers at http://freenews.maxbaud.net/ but there are many that charge for the service.

As far a client goes, I recommend Agent available at http://forteinc.com
raaeft1
Thank you. I found the information very useful.
sibbahz
is usenet just used for messageboards? Ive used newsgroups in outlook express before but i think that is something completely different.
raaeft1
I downloaded Agent and subscribed to a few free newsgroups on the servers mentioned in the ``freenews'' site.

Even though I have been downloading binaries and newsgroups based on binaries, still I am unable to access the images,software or music. It seems these may be available only on premium usenet groups.
Teddy1
Some newsgroups cost. As the one i use is much more reliable compared to the one my ISP provides. There are a few sites that allow newsbin files to be downloaded for free.

www.nzbsrus.com

There are a few others that i can't quite remember at the moment.
But in my opinion newsgroups are definitely worth the money and i will carry on using mine. Very Happy