FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

freeware warning

MazzaDesign
Just a simple waarning to all

when downloading freeware be sure what it will install.

if it sounds to good to be true it prolly is

I got hit with a product from (ABI Networks) only way I knew was when looking though my add/remove programs I seen a thing that said ABI Networks and it looked like spyware so I went to remove and it directed me to a Http:// link to uninstall it, this does not however uninstall it. It seemed to embed it further. It took me almost 4 days of scrubbing my PC with many different programs to remove it all.

I am a firm believer in adaware and still am however that or spybot did not detect this.

It created self duplicating .exe's main file name is nail.exe and was located in my system32 directory
n0obie4life
Cool..I prefer Xoftspy.

Ad-aware didn't detect my spywares/adwares on my pc Sad.
meangurl
before i download softwares from the internet (either freeware or shareware) i usually read other people's reviews before downloading 'em. that way, not only will you be safe but you'll also know the pros and cons of the software.
gonzo
Randomly installing anything is a bad idea. First research the company, then research the product.
THE11thROCK™
With freewares - it's really not so secure to say the least that you're safe with anything free. However, aside from Ad-aware, try Spysweeper - it fills what Ad-aware lacks.
gonzo
SpySweeper WAS a good option until webroot decided it would be fun to install draconian antipiracy bits. Thanks but no thanks.

Try Spybot Search & Destroy

wooo color is fun
Deckard
Spybot is really not the best. I uses PestPatrol (www.PestPatrol.com) for a long time, but ever since I tried the Microsoft Beta Anti Spyware, I don't use anything else.

You can download it for free a www.Microsoft.com (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en)
It's a free software, and seem to do a really good job.

Microsoft finaly decided to take care of the Virus/Spyware issues a while ago, they bought an Anti Spyware and should release an Anti-Virus at some point, embeded in the OS and finnaly get the complain about the Microsoft platform.

If not use NOD32 and do a deep scan of the hard drive, that should take care of it.
Helios
Freeware + Win = maybe not so secure.

Freeware(duh!) + *nix = yep, secure. Very Happy
coolclay
All you have to do is read the end user agreement form that everyone must read before installing a program and it tells you what it is installing. If it mentions third-party installations at all DO NOT INSTALL IT, this means it is installing lots of other software from other companys that you don't know about. So many people nowadays just sign, and agree to things without even reading them, I have no sympathy if those people get slammed with spam, spyware, and adware.
Maka
I just scan my pc every few days with these three programs:

Lavasoft adaware
Spybot search and destroy
Microsoft antispyware

The micosoft antispware is acutally the best out of the three, microsoft bought it from giant software and you had to oay for it before, it stil is the best but now free, microsoft know there system inside out so know what to look for and where.
lbs
Always use open source. preferably GPL licenced software if you want to use anything free. Then you know your safe. Yes there is a LOT of OSS available for windows. Try sourceforge.net. You can brouse by OS and app catagory.
jveezy
lbs wrote:
Always use open source. preferably GPL licenced software if you want to use anything free. Then you know your safe. Yes there is a LOT of OSS available for windows. Try sourceforge.net. You can brouse by OS and app catagory.

Yep. Anything open source/GNU Public License is almost always safe. Maybe not always stable for the younger projects, but there is never any malicious intent with the programs.

Sourceforge is a great source and also look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open-source_software to find a lot of open source programs that you can use to virtually replace a lot of (usually expensive) commercial software like OpenOffice.org over Microsoft Office and The GIMP over Adobe Photoshop.
CrimsonStrange
coolclay wrote:
All you have to do is read the end user agreement form that everyone must read before installing a program and it tells you what it is installing.
If it mentions third-party installations at all DO NOT INSTALL IT, this means it is installing lots of other software from other companys that you don't know about.
So many people nowadays just sign, and agree to things without even reading them.
I have no sympathy if those people get slammed with spam, spyware, and adware.

Amen, coolclay!
I don't understand why people can't/won't take the time to read EULA's and TOS's and Help files!
99% of the time, those 3 things will answer all of your questions, or at least get you directed to the right people who can.

My philosophy:
Be as dilligent about what you put into your computer as you are about what you put into your body.

(Hmm... Eh? On second thought, that might not be such a good philosophy for everybody, huh? LoL)
izcool
Normally when I go looking about for good software, I go to http://www.download.com/ as they review each and every program for spyware/adware/etc. When you do the search, I recommend you to select the "Free" option, as I won't go and buy the software unless it was absolutely necessary. There's many free alternatives to costly programs in this world. Oh, normally with that you have to look on sites about, how to find the un-installer to the website the program redirected you to. I had to do that to remove spyware/adware stuff once.

- Mike.
Dustwars9
About two weeks ago i saw a thing on g4techtv about spyware and they showed that not one antispyware program could delete it all and they recomended too download 3 of the top free spyware programs. So if you ever get stuck with spyware you should try running 3 antispyware programs from companies that get good reviews and makeshure you get it all.
careyd
That is true, not one program gets rid of them all. I Use several different ones. Its not that one is better then the other, its very difficult to keep up with spyware definitions. So each one will normally catch something the otherones don't. Some times none of the programs work and you have to download a special utility, as with coolweb search, you have to download cwshredder.

So to recap, use several different spyware programs, and don't forget to update them. If your having a particular piece of spyware that is difficult, try to find the name of it, through whatever clues you can find. Usually there are a lot of good posts on the internet with people having the same problems you are, and how they went about fixing it.

-Dave
Ranfaroth
izcool wrote:
Normally when I go looking about for good software, I go to http://www.download.com/ as they review each and every program for spyware/adware/etc.
They can't review them if they don't have the source code... Rolling Eyes

As said before, the only way to be sure to not install spywares is to use open-source softwares.
James007
Always "read" the license agreement!!!

Scroll down quickly and...
Search for "ADVERTISING", "WRAPPED CONTENT", "THE AUTHOR HAS ALLOWED US TO WRAP..." "GAIN"...

Also look at the bottom of the license agreement, where you can find the copyright notes... normally there you will find the name of the spyware company too.

James Smile
krazeek
On my old computer I would install a spyware cleaner and it would install "182 Search" or "Search 182" not sure which one, but i had to download numorous cleaners etc. to try to get rid of all the spyware/adware it produced. Ended up finding it when I was messing around with my computer and the name looked familiar so i clicked on it and you were able to right click it so i did and it had a bunch of options and one was uninstall or delete so i did both.

I do a AVG, Norton, Ad-Aware SE Perfessional scan every day now because when this computer crashed when I had a bug that transfered all the files to a HD that i couldnt access it ate my memory. So i had to use my old computer and I would always wonder why it ran so slow and I downloaded Ad-Aware SE Professional and it detected over 1000+ adware on my computer and it ran much smoother, but still lagged because of the 256 MB Of RAM.
mark
I hate spyware and adware. It just slows doen the computer and it is not safe. Further, I do not like downloading anything which looks tempting and which is free. I had got hit with 7 trojans once and since then, I have reduced my downloading to almost one file a week!