FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Flannery O'Connor

evanc88
I'm currently reading Flannery O'Connor's second novel, "The Violent Bear it Away." It's amazing.

O'Connor was and is definitely one of the best american authors to ever have lived, and undoubtedly the best female author to come from this country. Her short stories, and you've probably read some, are phenomenal. High school kids read them a lot in class--"A Good Man is Hard to Find," "Good Country People," "The Life You Save May Be Your Own," etc.--and honestly they are some of the best pieces of short fiction ever written. She writes in the southern gothic style with "grotesque" characters (I disagree with the term--I prefer to think she gives them life instead of making them grotesque).

She is a very religious writer in that catholic influence is present in her novel, but they are not preachy. Quite the opposite really. Her writing is dark.

Check her out! You won't be disappointed.
azfad
She's great i think - probably my favorite short story writer of all. And yes youre right - she's VERY dark. i must read her again - its been a while.

as for best US female writer ever, Carson McCullers is up there too for me.
evanc88
I haven't read McCullers but I own The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. It's far down on my list of books to read, however, so I probably won't get to it for a while.

If you're trying to get back into O'Connor, try "The Violent Bear it Away," her second novel. The language in it is amazing and its full of her grotesque sensibilities.