FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

GRE

Xavier
howdy,
Am planning to take GRE this year. Can u pls guide with the following:

-- What study material & books should I start with?

-- How much time does it require to prepare oneself for th test?

-- Is there a website that can give me a list of some good universities ( I tried googling, but in vein)

-- What will be the expenses of studying & Lodging etc etc.

-- What are the propects after GRE?

I'm looking for someone who can guide & give me some knowledge about the topic so that I can go forward with my plans.
Xavier
Also,

-- When should I register for the test?

-- Is there a restriction in terms of time limit before one can appear for GRE again??
itvikings

Barrons
Big Book
Kaplan
Princeton Review
Along with GRE powerPrep software

approximately 3-4 mnths depending upon the foundation

-- Is there a website that can give me a list of some good universities
I20fever.com
f1study.com
vyomworld.com

What will be the expenses of studying & Lodging etc etc
get it from usunivs.com FAQ page

When should I register for the test?
should register it immediately.....take the test in May-June
report tthe score by July get admission responses till december and then finalise ur plan for admissions in the next Fall
varun_dodla
If you have time (bcoz u said ur just planning now) try reading the book called "Word Power Made Easy - by Norman Lewis". This will give you a good hold on vocabulary or if you have less time then you can go ahead with "Barrons".
Use "GRE Big Book" for tests that is very good and will help you a lot.

It depends on how much you can spare. With serious preparation you can complete it in in two months time or if you target a very good score above 1400 then the preparation must be atleast 4months.

-- Is there a website that can give me a list of some good universities ( I tried googling, but in vein)
www.i20fever.com

These change from university to university. You can get the details from the individual university websites.

This again depends on which university you go to. Universities with campus recruitments provide you better chances than the others.
It will also depend on which stream you do ur MS in.

contd...
varun_dodla
You can register whenever you have decided on the date to give the exam.

-- Is there a restriction in terms of time limit before one can appear for GRE again??
As far as I know there is no such restriction as of now.

Hope this helps...
Good Luck!!
dramaking
varun_dodla wrote:
You can register whenever you have decided on the date to give the exam.

As far as I know there is no such restriction as of now.

Hope this helps...
Good Luck!!

I guess you can only take GRE 5 times in a year, and once per month only...
DevilsSon
I guess I'll take GMAT...I'd have to learn waaaay too many words by heart otherweise
SlowWalkere
The amount of preparation depends on how much time you can put in and how much improvement you think you need.

The test is very similar to SATs. I did no real preparation for the GREs and got a score within 10 points of my SAT score. So, if you did well on the SATs I would suggest boning up on some vocabulary, reviewing some math, and not doing much else otherwise.

If you did poorly on the SATs, it's time to start studying. Get one of the books suggested before (Barrons is good). Pay close attention to the math. In my opinion it's the easiest section to raise your score on, since there are a finite number of math rules to know and understand. As for the verbal section, work on your vocabulary and read! Memorizing vocabulary words from flashcards will not give you lasting results, but constantly reading things with a broad vocabulary (for example the New York Times) will help you make your gains permanent.

As for your prospects after the GREs, I would think that you'd have an idea of what your going to do _before_ you take the test. The GREs are (as I understand them) like the SATs for graduate school. You take the test to get admitted into various masters or doctoral programs. So if there is a program you would like to enter, check out what scores they require. But if you don't want to do graduate work, why take the test?

- Walkere
jesse
I think the Merriam-Webster dictionary is a must.
Besides, a training of critical thinking is benefitial for GRE.

Xavier wrote:
howdy,
Am planning to take GRE this year. Can u pls guide with the following:

I'm looking for someone who can guide & give me some knowledge about the topic so that I can go forward with my plans.
Jermore
I picked up one of the books by Kaplan for the GRE prep. They do a great job breaking down what the GRE test looks for, with the writing portion especially (which is where i struggle the most).

There is a lot more to it than just taking the practice tests over and over. There is definitely strategy involved. the book gives you a great way to attack each problem in each section. The math portion is good to work through to freshen up on.

They also provided a list of the most commonly used words on the test. I made flash cards with definitions and tried using the words in conversations as much as I could in the weeks leading up to the test. It's good to take a practice test with a dictionary, I used www.Dictionary.com which is unbeatable. I did fairly well.

Its a real marathon of test so take care of all the usual stuff like good breakfast, sleep, and wake up in time to get your mind going before it starts.

thats from the gre.com website, it has a lot of prep material to go through.

http://www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/menuitem.1488512ecfd5b8849a77b13bc3921509/?vgnextoid=302b66f22c6a5010VgnVCM10000022f95190RCRD&vgnextchannel=d687e3b5f64f4010VgnVCM10000022f95190RCRD

good luck.