FRIHOST ē FORUMS ē SEARCH ē FAQ ē TOS ē BLOGS ē COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows





rainmaker
I was just wondering if anyone knows when the seventh book in the Harry Potter series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, is coming out. I've been an avid reader of this series for some time, but there has been a bit of a wait for the upcoming seventh book. Thanks!

Edit inserted by tidruG:
Just to announce, in case you don't know yet, that there is an official Harry Potter Writing Contest on Frihost. The current deadline is September 10 (unless you need more time). Please check it out and participate.
zjosie729
I don't think it'd be soon. It takes a while to write a book, and the 6th has just came out last year (?). How did you know what the title's going to be?
angelussum
I don't think it has been announced yet. She has been taking longer with the books, so it will probably be a while before you see it. The latest movie adaptation is coming out this year though Very Happy
rainmaker
Hello Everyone and thanks for the replies!

The title of the upcoming book was announced on Amazon. You're probably right about it not coming out any time soon, but oh well.

Yes, I think the next movie in the series is coming out in July some time. I'll have to check on that. Thanks again!

--rainmaker
Afaceinthematrix
rumor has it that it's coming out 07/07/07 since it will be the 7th book, and that's about two years after The 6th one came out (Mid-July of 2005)
Rashdan
Somehow, considering this is the last book, I think it would be a while before it's released. Sure, July 7th sounds like a possible date, but I'm not entirely sure about it.

Considering the title has been released, we could expect the book to come out during this year. After all, Book 6 was released about 6 or so months after the title was released.
rainmaker
Hello Everyone,

I just thought I would post an update to the question I posed earlier. It seems that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the seventh book in the series, is due to be released on the 21st of July.

I found this bit of tribune from the following web site: http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/myfox/pages/Entertainment/Detail?contentId=2241052&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=7.1.1

Thanks!

--rainmaker
magneto_ms
JK Rowling says that two characters are bound to be killed in the 7th version and she hints that it is not going to be any small fries at that:

http://blogs.raincoast.com/weblog/two-characters-die-in-harry-potter-7/

And I recently read that one publisher in Britain is setting up a distress free counselling facility in anticipation of distraught readers....
rainmaker
It's really sad how much people get into these books to the point of obsession. I mean it's one thing to read and enjoy the book and quite another to become psychologically distressed over the plot.

At any rate, I guess everyone's different. To each his own.

--rainmaker
Obake
rainmaker wrote:
It's really sad how much people get into these books to the point of obsession. I mean it's one thing to read and enjoy the book and quite another to become psychologically distressed over the plot.


*shrugs* I'm in a bunch of fandoms, I read voraciously, I write my own work as well as fanfiction, and I associate with a lot of people of like mind. There's a certain level of what other people would call obsession that strikes me as normalcy. All in all, I tend to think that when people have an intense emotional reaction to a story, that's more of a triumph for the storyteller than a sad thing for anyone.

As far as needing counselling goes...well, one, sending that bit of news out now seems a bit more like a publicity gimmick than anything else, and two, you have to bear in mind that it's probably going to be a relatively small subset of readers who need it.

Moreover, I suspect that those who do need counselling at the end of the book are mainly going to be the ones who needed counselling anyway. That's not to disparage anyone who is so much affected by the books. But it's a fact that a lot of people use the Harry Potter books as a kind of shield against some of the bigger problems in their lives: every time a new book is released, amid all the hype you will find stories about how orphaned or foster children especially identify with Harry, or how kids who are bullied at school or abused at home try to draw on Harry's strength in dealing with the same situations with Draco Malfoy, Snape, and the Dursleys.

That's just a couple of examples of the kind of people for whom the books aren't just books, but a very important escape mechanism and coping strategy for problems that they feel unable to resolve in their own lives. And many of them will have grown up with the books, even if they have managed to get away from those situations in their real lives by now. To lose something that's been so much a part of your life for--what is it, ten years now?--is going to be a blow; to face the prospect of losing characters who have become so important to you--that's worse. If there's actually going to be some safety net devised for dealing with the fallout, so much the better.
imera
[quote="Obake"]
rainmaker wrote:

It's really sad how much people get into these books to the point of obsession. I mean it's one thing to read and enjoy the book and quite another to become psychologically distressed over the plot.


It's sad that people should have a meltdown in the end of the book, only because a character dies. But itís understandable, even I can be angry because someone has died that I didnít want to die. But so far I have been sad over just one death; Cedric. But itís okay to be sad over things like that, we feel a connection with them in a way.

And about the release date, just hope it will be this year. And I think itís great if Harry dies, if it was the reality he would die, and perhaps the evil would take over. We all except that the good will always win, and if it does win I think itís great if it has its lost. But this is only my opinion.
rainmaker
I a way, I sort of agree...it would be a breath of fresh air for evil to prevail. Have you ever looked into any of Edgar Allen Poe's work? I vaguely remember reading some of it in high school, and it was surprisingly twisted.

--rainmaker
Obake
imera wrote:
It's sad that people should have a meltdown in the end of the book, only because a character dies. But itís understandable, even I can be angry because someone has died that I didnít want to die.


Precisely. I've been distancing myself from the books over the last couple of years, partly in preparation for whatever happens in the last book (but partly also because I've just grown up and moved on to--gasp--better books with stories that mean more to me as I am now). And I agree with you on the Cedric thing--I didn't really care for Sirius as a character, and Dumbledore had annoyed me too much by the time his time came for any great mourning, but Cedric was just this vaguely likeable kid who wound up in the wrong place by trying to do the right thing. And his death was probably the first deeply terrible thing to happen at Hogwarts (at least in Harry's years there), because it signalled Voldemort's return.

But I'm not so sure that people are just going to be upset over character deaths. They will be upset by them, but it's just as much going to be the fact that the series is over now. No more Hogwarts, no more adventures of the Trio, no more chances for things to be put right if they wind up wrong, no more wizarding world, no more Harry Potter. In a way, he dies in this book regardless of what's written. I can understand people being upset about the end of a series they love.

As for evil prevailing...doubtful (which I know you know, buddanyway). It's not that I don't think JK might want to write it that way--it's that I don't think publishers around the world will accept a conclusion like that, particularly the American ones, for a series that is still being marketed towards children.

rainmaker wrote:
Have you ever looked into any of Edgar Allen Poe's work? I vaguely remember reading some of it in high school, and it was surprisingly twisted.


*laughs* Oh, Mr Poe. My sister's a bigger fan than I am (she's more interested in horror/twisted stories than me; I've read The Raven and that's about it), and I remember how it started. She borrowed a book of his work from the school library when she was eight years old. Mum, worrying about the impression Poe might make on such a young mind, confiscated the book until it was due back at the library. So what does my sister do? She sits down and reads the whole thing during lunch that day. Because my sister is a special kind of awesome.
roboguyspacedude
I can't wait for this book to come out. At least 2-3 people are going to die. Hopefully it will be Harry.
Malchior
Well in some cases, main characters from the books should be sacrificed in order to have a better ending. Like Sirius Black for example, almost everyone was sad to know that he died. Then on the Sixth book our famous and most loved Headmaster Dumbledore passed away. A lot of people has shed their tears when they read the part of HBP.

But we must think, will good books be called good if all the good guys stay alive? It will just end as a boring one and bad comments from devoted readers will pop out of nowhere.
Obake
Malchior wrote:
But we must think, will good books be called good if all the good guys stay alive? It will just end as a boring one and bad comments from devoted readers will pop out of nowhere.


*coughcough*P. G. Wodehouse*coughcough*

The choice to kill off main/good/popular characters isn't always a brave one, and it doesn't necessarily make the story better than it already was. In some cases, it's cliched and stereotypical and a sign of lazy writing.

In the Harry Potter 'verse it works, because we've already established that nasty stuff happens, not only to the bad guys, and not only to the secondary "good" characters to give the main ones something to angst about. But character death should never be a criterion for considering the merit of a book, one way or the other.
saratdear
roboguyspacedude wrote:
I can't wait for this book to come out. At least 2-3 people are going to die. Hopefully it will be Harry.


WHAT!?

No, seriously, if you are a true fine, I don't think you would hope Harry to die?
But that's just my opinion.

Obake wrote:

The choice to kill off main/good/popular characters isn't always a brave one, and it doesn't necessarily make the story better than it already was. In some cases, it's cliched and stereotypical and a sign of lazy writing.


No, it might always not be. I have not read any of the P.G.Wodehouse books so I can't say for sure, but I feel that killing off a popular character, even though it may be unpleasant, increases the popularity. For example, The Titanic. I don't seriously think the movie would have become half that popular if Jack hadn't died.

Same maybe the case with HP. We may all shed tears if Harry dies, but then it might be a "Good died to conquer evil" thingy and be popular.
Obake
saratdear wrote:
I have not read any of the P.G.Wodehouse books so I can't say for sure, but I feel that killing off a popular character, even though it may be unpleasant, increases the popularity.


The P. G. Wodehouse books, in fact, are an example of an immensely popular canon where death barely makes an appearance. I'm thinking here mainly of the Jeeves canon, since I haven't had the opportunity yet to get into Psmith or Blandings or any of the other stories. Death exists in the world--people get inheritances and so forth--and occasionally the characters speak of "shuffling off this mortal coil", but the greatest threat is not dying, but being married off to someone you don't want to be married to.

It's...a nice change from a lot of popular fiction today, where it seems as if the only way to heighten dramatic tension and keep readers hooked is either by increasing the violence and threat of death or adding a frisson of sexuality to the mix. Both can be effective devices if used well, but when so much of the market is glutted with the stuff it very quickly starts to feel like the author has just run out of other ideas--in other words, it feels like lazy writing.

It can also be unbecoming of a writer to treat a character's death or self-sacrifice as the most significant event in their lives (especially if we've been following their lives for the past six books/years, as we have done in Harry's case).

That said, I do think you make a good point that character death tends to increase a story's popularity (though I wonder, do the Harry Potter books really need any more of that?). I have just enough faith in J. K. Rowling's plotting ability to believe that whatever she does decide to do with the seventh book, it will actually work as a satisfying conclusion to the series.

Still, I don't believe that Harry is going to be one of the characters to die. First, because that would be the most straightforward rendering of the prophecy that you could get, and prophecies are rarely straightforward foretellings--9.99 times out of ten there is some loophole or kink in the plot that means it doesn't happen the way you think it's going to happen.

Second, Harry's death would be too jarring for the narrative. I don't mean in the sense of losing the important main character, I mean in the sense of losing the even-more-important narratorial voice of the books. The books have always been so closely tied to Harry's point of view that they've been just this side of first-person POV. We only ever see what Harry sees, we only ever get to know what Harry's thinking and feeling, and we only get to connect to the other characters based on what Harry sees, thinks, and feels about them. If Harry dies, J. K. Rowling cannot just fade-to-black--he'd be most likely to die in the middle of the action, and to conclude the series J. K. Rowling needs to give us a glimpse of what happens after that; how things begin to resolve themselves. But by the same token, ending the Harry Potter books looking through another character's eyes would be an unbearable change after being so long tied to Harry's view. I don't think that J. K. Rowling can actually kill Harry off without also killing the voice of her storyteller.
rainmaker
Good point Obake (about killing Harry off). I'm still curious as to who she will decided to kill, though. I guess only time will tell.
minik
rainmaker wrote:
Good point Obake (about killing Harry off). I'm still curious as to who she will decided to kill, though. I guess only time will tell.


I read this somewhere but the only way she can avoid getting nagged for the next fifty years to write another book is to kill off Harry.
rainmaker
Haha! Yeah, that's probably true. But even if Harry does die, people can still nag her for another series. Either way she loses. Hahaha!
Obake
minik wrote:
I read this somewhere but the only way she can avoid getting nagged for the next fifty years to write another book is to kill off Harry.


That's quite possibly true. However, I can't help thinking of poor Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, who was nagged for several years to bring Sherlock Holmes back from the dead. Sometimes, you just can't win.

Anyway, she's said she's interested in writing other books--just no more Harry stories, which I actually think most fans will be satisfied with. By now, I know there are a lot of people who will be more interested in what else she can do than in seeing more Harry stories (provided she wraps up the series to their satisfaction--that's the difficulty, because a lot of people want to see different things). I think she also once mentioned that she would like to put together a kind of encyclopaedia of the Harry Potter world--full of bits and pieces she'd worked out but never got to use in the books, and so forth. That, I think, should tie things off nicely for Harry Potter fans, and give those who want it a way to keep the stories going on their own (in fanfiction).

Also--the books end, but the movies will continue for another couple of years at least. Deathly Hollows really isn't the end of Harry Potter at all.
vanille
It's coming out where I am on July 21. I swear I squeeeeed when I saw the poster declaring this phenomenon. It's finally coming OUT. (However, I did cringe at the title...HALLOWS...as in Halloween???)
Obake
vanille wrote:
...HALLOWS...as in Halloween???


Yes, Hallows as in Halloween. Or, more properly, hallows as in hallowed--consecrated; holy--ground. It makes sense--it's not actually a bad choice of word, except that these days the only other context in which we hear it is in the gimcrackery of the modern Halloween.
rainmaker
I thought I also read somewhere that translated from another language the book is titled "Harry Potter and the Deathly Saints." Does anyone have any thoughts on why this might be? I was just thinking that *maybe* it would foreshadow something to take place in the book.

Thanks!

--rainmaker
Kath
roboguyspacedude wrote:
I can't wait for this book to come out. At least 2-3 people are going to die. Hopefully it will be Harry.

Yeah, I agree, its not so much that I will be distressed by the fictional death of a make believe character. It will be that there will be no more Harry potter to look forward to, obsessively buy it early that morning, take the day off work, and devour it it in a matter of hours. A little escapism is all that will be morned. Not the life of a fictional character.
-Kath
rainmaker
Have you guys seen the cover of the next book yet? It looks pretty cool.

--rainmaker
soccerplaya2090
cant wait for it i love all of the harry potter books i wonder if harry dies it would make sense Sad i hope not tho ive all ready preordered it Smile
rainmaker
I know it sounds incredibly nerdy, but I was saving several of my Target gift cards to buy this book, and now I've pre-ordered it. Haha!

Anyway, I personally don't foresee JK Rowling killing off Potter. It just seems contrary to what she would do. I wouldn't be surprised if Snape was killed off, though. It is my guess that he will play an eminent role in this next book, but won't make it in the end.

--rainmaker
soccerplaya2090
rainmaker wrote:
I know it sounds incredibly nerdy, but I was saving several of my Target gift cards to buy this book, and now I've pre-ordered it. Haha!
--rainmaker
thats exactly what i did lol
rainmaker
Glad to hear I'm not the only one!
Kanoga
For those still wondering.
"The book will be released in English-speaking countries around the world at 00:01 British Summer Time on 21 July 2007. In the U.S., however, the book will be released at 00:01 local time."
rainmaker
That sounds right, and I can't wait!

I am also anticipating the newest movie release: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I just saw the latest trailer, and I found it highly enticing.

I believe the movie itself is due to come out around the same time. I will probably spend the next few days reading through book number five again when I should be preparing for finals. Razz

Anyway, I am anxiously awaiting the release of both.

--rainmaker
roboguyspacedude
If harry dies int eh last book it really would be for the best. He is annoying and books where the main character dies are more fun to read. Twisted Evil
rainmaker
That sounds a little sadistic, but it certainly would make for an interesting plot. Very Happy
Jamie Summersett
Well I believe that Harry is one of the horcruxes that must be destroyed. That is the hidden connection between him and Voldemort, Harry parslemouth and mind connection hint this. As to who does voldemort in? I would quess it will be Ginny, because it was said that in one of the rooms of the department of mysterys they study " a force at once more terrible, Yet so beautiful " and Dumbledore said that a small piece of that force was in harry, and it was love. And we all know Ginny loves Harry! So that is why I think Dumbledore never fully told Harry his suspitions of the final Horcrux.
rainmaker
I'd say the horcrux theory may have some merit. This, however, does not necessarily imply that Harry would have to be killed to be rid of it. There's probably some detail about these horcruxes that has been left out that would allow them to be removed from the host without necessarily damaging it. I guess this remains to be seen, though.

--rainmaker
soccerplaya2090
have any of you guys read that book i think its what will happen in harry potter 7 by mugglesnet.com ???

its pretty good i suggest it. it has some really good points in it. target has it Smile
Jamie Summersett
No I haven't read it because it is not out yet.
rainmaker
Quote:
No I haven't read it because it is not out yet.


Well, technically, the newest Harry Potter book has not been released yet, but there is a book out that attempts to analyze/preview the soon-to-be-released novel. You can take a look here: http://www.amazon.com/Unauthorized-Harry-Potter-Deathly-Hallows/dp/0976540606/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/104-4179272-3172764?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1178386163&sr=8-3

I'm guessing that is what soccerplaya2090 was talking about.

--rainmaker
evanc88
Just saw the trailer for the fifth movie--amazing. And it only makes the anticipation greater for waiting that eight days after I see the movie to read the book. It's times like these I wish I were a stockboy at a Border's or something.
rainmaker
I hear ya!

--rainmaker
tempdbs
More than 1 Million advance orders for "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" which was sheduled to release in last of july.

Crossing More than 620,000 copies have been ordered in advance in the United States, with more than 250,000 in the United Kingdom.

Advance orders for this book have surprisedd those in 2005 for Rowling's sixth release, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince." which was 500,000 copies.

Now its breaking the previous record...

The book, which is published in the United States by Scholastic Corporation and in Britain by Bloomsbury, officially goes on sale on July 21.

Wanna you also..... then why are you waiting ??? Laughing

mOrpheuS wrote:
duplicate threads merged
Magicman
Harry Potter is good but I'm not all that excited. I'm sure I'll enjoy the book when it comes out. By the way, doesn't this belong in the Literature forum?
tempdbs
Magicman wrote:
Harry Potter is good but I'm not all that excited. I'm sure I'll enjoy the book when it comes out. By the way, doesn't this belong in the Literature forum?


Sorry friends.......

As per the Quote, Admin changed & merged this post with a previous post which is in literature forum...
Please continue your discussions.......

Thanks Admin
Alkmania
Jamie Summersett wrote:
Well I believe that Harry is one of the horcruxes that must be destroyed. That is the hidden connection between him and Voldemort, Harry parslemouth and mind connection hint this. As to who does voldemort in? I would quess it will be Ginny, because it was said that in one of the rooms of the department of mysterys they study " a force at once more terrible, Yet so beautiful " and Dumbledore said that a small piece of that force was in harry, and it was love. And we all know Ginny loves Harry! So that is why I think Dumbledore never fully told Harry his suspitions of the final Horcrux.


This is actually a very good point and would explain a lot, also about the prophecy. Maybe this is why

one can't live, while the other survives

...???
Alkmania
I came across this fantastic website about Harry Potter 6 and suspicions for HP7, everyone who is interested should definately visit it. It's called Dumbledore's not Dead or Beyond Hogwarts:

http://www.dumbledoreisnotdead.com
http://www.beyondhogwarts.com

There is some really good information about both books on there, and a lot to discuss, mostly: Snape Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad or Cool Laughing ??
karysky
I'm sooo eager to read it, I've already bought myself a pre-ordered copy, and subscribed to the evening even of the release! Smile
rainmaker
I agree. Does anyone know if J.K. Rowling plans on writing more books after the Harry Potter series? It certainly would be nice if she did; she's a talented writer.

--rainmaker
sarbaraj101
I love all the Harry Potter books. Will get this one too.
evanc88
rainmaker wrote:
I agree. Does anyone know if J.K. Rowling plans on writing more books after the Harry Potter series? It certainly would be nice if she did; she's a talented writer.

--rainmaker


No, she's not writing any more books based on the Harry Potter series. She said, actually, that she may write a Harry Potter encyclopedia for charity, but nothing else.

I didn't bother pre-ordering because, really, there is no chance that the books will sell out... anywhere. At midnight of the night of the sixth book's release, I drove up to Meijer, a store here, and they had mountains of copies and barely anyone to buy them. I'm gonna be attending a book release party this year, though, which is fun.

Still excited for the next movie, too!
rainmaker
I was wondering if she plans on publishing other books, though. Maybe she plans on starting another new series? I'm just curious, because it would be a shame if a phenomenal writer like herself just quit writing entirely. Anyway, we will see what happens I guess.

--rainmaker
Jakob [JaWGames]
It will be very interesting to read how she ties together all the loose ends in this book. I hope that Harry survives, I like books with happy ends most and the only thing which would make it worser (except if Voldemort wins, which actually would be quite entertaining) is if she decides to kill off Ginny.

That would be almost too evil of her Rolling Eyes
rainmaker
I would not be the least bit surprised if J.K. Rowling did in fact kill Ginny Weasely off. I do believe that Rowling has stated certain major characters will die in this upcoming novel. Personally, I am predicting that Severus Snape will not make it, because of his involvement with both sides. It will be interesting to see, though.

--rainmaker
dac_nip
How long do you reckon this is going to be. 1000+ pages perhaps? I think there are still lots of loose-ends that need explanations. Just hoping, she would cover them all. I'm currently reading the 6th book. just to refresh and catch up with the story. pretty excited here. Very Happy
aznhomieboi1689
I actually can not wait for this book to come out! I really like all the Harry Potter books and movies, it's really cool. I'm about to explode, to find out ewhat will happen in the seventh book. Rumors has it that Harry Potter will die...we'll see..
rainmaker
I really dont' think that she'll kill Harry off; he's just too important of a role in the series. Then again, as some other people have mentioned, she may need to just so she can rest assured that people won't hound her into writing another Harry Potter book. At any rate, though, I think it promises to be a good read. I guess we'll just have to wait and see...
soccerplaya2090
its getting so close i cant wait. watch the movie and then get the book 10 days later. woo hoo. except i cant read much of it on the 21st because my brother is getting married and i wont be able to read because my parents will make me leave it in the car Sad
and then im going to camp but i should be able to read it on the way to camp cuz its a 6 or 6 1/2 hour drive.
ill die of suspense lol. Sad
rainmaker
I know how that is. When my family took a trip out to South Dakota, I brought with all of my Harry Potter books and read almost the entire time. They were not very happy with me, but I did get a fair amount read. Some of the scenery I cannot really recall as a result of doing this. I should just quit rambling now...I'm beginning to really sound nerdy. But, yeah, I'm really excited for the movie and the book to come out as well. Cheers!

--rainmaker
Genesiz
Really looking forward to reading the last Harry Potter book. It'll be like a sort of conclusion to the HP series, tieing up all the loose ends and stuff. Even after the book comes out there will still be discussion over plotlines for several months. It will not be the end for the HP series.

And best thing is, it comes out on a Saturday. Got the whole weekend to read it.
roboguyspacedude
Dude!!! It's coming out in like two weeks....can't wait!!
rainmaker
Yeah, and the movie is coming out a week from today. Cool beans!

--rainmaker
rainmaker
Sorry to double post, but I had to talk about the movie that I went to see last night (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix). Did anyone else go and see it? (A rhetorical question Very Happy ) Anyway, I must say that for the length of the film, I thought they did a good job of covering what needed to be covered. Unfortunately, for that length certain things have to be left out. I will refrain from giving specifics, but I think that certain elements that were left out will need to be explained later in the movie series, because they are rather important. Overall, though, I would have to say it was a really good watch, and I may even go and see it again.

Has anyone else gone to see HP5 yet that cares to discuss?

--rainmaker
Genesiz
Aint got no chance of getting a ticket now. Would have to have booked several weeks in advance just for a chance to get a ticket.

Will have to wait for a few weeks before i can go and see it. Probably after i've finished DH. Dont mind though. Good things come to those who wait.
Shewolf
The movie does not come here until tomorrow, but then I am going Very Happy And right now I can not wait to get my hands on the book, only a week left now!
JC Denton
Really looking forward to the book. Also stumbled upon a fun little thing to do at Something Awful-forums. One guy had gotten the cover-art for HP7 in high-resolution, so he printed them and pretended he had got the book. Must do that and burn it infront of all super-fans or something.
rainmaker
Haha! I can only imagine the responses you would get for doing that.

--rainmaker
Chelissamow
JC Denton, haha, that'd be so awesome to do! Everybody would be so incredibly jealous and/or mad. xD

Oh man... I can't wait until the book comes out! Too bad I have to work that day so I can't stay home and read it all day long. x__X
_AVG_
Well, I'm staying at home all day this Saturday and reading the entire book!

I think that Hermione is going to die, what do you think?
rainmaker
Unfortunately, I have the book on pre-order and mail does not run on campus on saturdays, so I'll have to wait until monday. Sad

Anyway, I think that the most likely person to die would be Snape. His role as a double-agent sort of necessitates this kind of an ending. Albus Dumbledore obviously had Snape 'eating out of the palm of his hand,' despite the latter's alleged service to Voldemort. If Voldemort learns what Snape's true intentions are...I think it could be very dire for Snape.

I do not think that Hermione Granger will die, although it is hard to say. That is pretty much just a wild guess on my part and should be taken worth a grain of salt.

At any rate, I guess we'll all have to wait for the book to come out; in the mean time, we can only wonder.

--rainmaker
Gepeto
Is this book easy to read for someone who have just school knowledges about english? (A High-school student?)
rainmaker
I would have to say that it depends. The books are supposed to be written at the pre-teen level. At least that's the age bracket their directed toward. There was, however, some vocabulary I was unfamiliar with from time to time. I would say that overall, you would be able to take something from the books. There is something in them for everyone at pretty much any reading level. At least, that's my opinion.

Good luck on your reading endeavors!

--rainmaker
The-Nisk
Finaly I'll be able to finish off the story!!! Very Happy
I'm actualy prety excited about it, it should be awesome!!!
It'll give me something to read at night anyway!!!
roboguyspacedude
It comes out in a day and three hours!!!! Can't wait.
Indyan
Gepeto wrote:
Is this book easy to read for someone who have just school knowledges about english? (A High-school student?)

Yes. The book language used is simple yet the narrative is powerful and engaging.
I just finished reading the leaked version. Would be stil buying the book. But would be leaving for college tommorow etc. So wouldnt be able to get the real book for atleast a week.
I am satisfied with the ending JK gave us.
erlendhg
Yay! Have bought the book.
Good summer lecture. Can't wait to read it Smile
zanzou
I have the urge to post my increeeeeeeedibly long thoughts on it, but I don't want to clutter up the page.

So I'll ask first-- any interest?

(Or a way to hide text in a forum until people choose to see it?)
_AVG_
WARNING - SPOILER ALERT

I realy loved the book though I think there were a bit too many deaths - Lupin, Tonks, Fred, Dobby, Hedwig. It was too gorey and Hermione kept crying all the time ..... I REALLY FEEL BAD ABOUT SNAPE ......
zanzou
_AVG_ wrote:
WARNING - SPOILER ALERT

I realy loved the book though I think there were a bit too many deaths - Lupin, Tonks, Fred, Dobby, Hedwig. It was too gorey and Hermione kept crying all the time ..... I REALLY FEEL BAD ABOUT SNAPE ......


Wow, I felt totally different. D: I felt like there weren't nearly enough deaths-- it was supposed to be a war, after all. Also, I missed the gore. Where was that?
_AVG_
Well, there was quite a bit of blood and there were also swear wors - I mean, nine year olds are reading this book!

George Weasley loses his ear, Ron gets splinched while Apparating, Harry and Hermione get cuts in their necks ......
zanzou
_AVG_ wrote:
Well, there was quite a bit of blood and there were also swear wors - I mean, nine year olds are reading this book!

George Weasley loses his ear, Ron gets splinched while Apparating, Harry and Hermione get cuts in their necks ......


There was only one swear word, really. And I'm absolutely sure that nine year olds aren't shocked by "ass". It's not even bleeped on TV, a lot of the time.

For 600 pages and all those battles, it really wasn't that gory. For me, the book would get a PG-13 rating (as a movie), MAX.
zanzou
*bitch.

I should pay more attention when I just wake up. XD
Shewolf
zanzou wrote:
_AVG_ wrote:
WARNING - SPOILER ALERT

I realy loved the book though I think there were a bit too many deaths - Lupin, Tonks, Fred, Dobby, Hedwig. It was too gorey and Hermione kept crying all the time ..... I REALLY FEEL BAD ABOUT SNAPE ......


Wow, I felt totally different. D: I felt like there weren't nearly enough deaths-- it was supposed to be a war, after all. Also, I missed the gore. Where was that?


In the end this is still a children's book, and it should be readable for parents as well. In someway there were too many deaths, but looking at what really happened; Rowling let most people live.

The book could have been longer, I would not mind that at all. But maybe just because I love the HP world, not because the book would have been better Wink
Genesiz
Read on Wikipedia that there were 54 named deaths. When you think about it, 54 named deaths is quite a lot for any book.

Is anyone else annoyed that the last word wasn't scar. I was sure it was going to be.
zanzou
Shewolf wrote:

In the end this is still a children's book, and it should be readable for parents as well. In someway there were too many deaths, but looking at what really happened; Rowling let most people live.

The book could have been longer, I would not mind that at all. But maybe just because I love the HP world, not because the book would have been better :wink:


I think children would be delighted that any swear words at all were used in the book (as kids are delighted at their own maturity when they swear, and are often shocked when adults do it). And she's used "effing" multiple times, in this book and HBP... unless parents had a problem with that, I see no reason they'd have a problem with "bitch".

In a lot of ways, I think that HP has moved beyond a children's book-- I would never let my kids, if I had any, read OotP. I think she could have made the books a lot more realistic without making them more violent... they just would have been darker. And kids books certainly don't have to be all sunshine and kittens.

I think the book needed to be longer to explain itself and fill in the plotholes. >_>
zanzou
Genesiz wrote:
Read on Wikipedia that there were 54 named deaths. When you think about it, 54 named deaths is quite a lot for any book.

Is anyone else annoyed that the last word wasn't scar. I was sure it was going to be.


Yes, but about 50 of those deaths were not DIRECTLY named. It just said "the 50 students who died" or something along those lines. We only ever get a direct mention of:
(SPOILERS, duh)
*
*
*
*
Mad Eye
Hedwig
Collin Creevy
Lavender Brown
Lupin
Tonks
Fred
Dobby
Snape

Everyone else just sort of gets lumped together then they were placing the bodies.
Genesiz
Yeah but including swear words (even minor ones) is necessary to show that they've grown up. Of course there wouldn't be any in PS, they're too young really. I think the focus has to be on the characters rather than the audience.

Also the books have been getting steadily darker, and i suppose some swear words sort of reinforces that.
_AVG_
As for the deaths ..... don't forget:

Crabbe
Lord Voldemort
Bellatrix
and some more people who I cannpt recall at the moment.

And about the swear words, I never imagined Mrs Weasley swearing .....
zanzou
_AVG_ wrote:
As for the deaths ..... don't forget:

Crabbe
Lord Voldemort
Bellatrix
and some more people who I cannpt recall at the moment.

And about the swear words, I never imagined Mrs Weasley swearing .....


Oops. Yes, there were those rather large ones. XD

But seriously, if those are all the people that died? On BOTH sides? So very, very unrealistic.
deStructuralized
This book was terribly written.

But I still enjoyed it.
Shewolf
deStructuralized wrote:
This book was terribly written.

But I still enjoyed it.


I know! Well, what a gang of silly Harry Potter-lovers we are Laughing
missdixy
I am glad that was the last book.
I don't care too much for HP...
Alkmania
Genesiz wrote:
Read on Wikipedia that there were 54 named deaths. When you think about it, 54 named deaths is quite a lot for any book.

Is anyone else annoyed that the last word wasn't scar. I was sure it was going to be.


I actually thought about that afterwards. When I read the last page I thought: "The last word was supposed to be scar, right..? So maybe it doesn't end here.. Smile". But it did Sad
rainmaker
After reading the book, I felt that there were still some loose ends that were suppose to be addressed. For instance, didn't JK Rowling say that someone would demonstrate magical ability for the first time? Maybe I missed something. Also, I would have liked to know what it was that Aunt Petunia was thinking before she left the house in the beginning of the book. I am also curious to know what exactly the trio winds up doing for careers nineteen years later. Anyway, I have heard that JK Rowling has discussed some things that were not addressed in the book, so maybe I should check there.

--rainmaker[/i]
Futile
rainmaker wrote:
After reading the book, I felt that there were still some loose ends that were suppose to be addressed. For instance, didn't JK Rowling say that someone would demonstrate magical ability for the first time? Maybe I missed something. Also, I would have liked to know what it was that Aunt Petunia was thinking before she left the house in the beginning of the book. I am also curious to know what exactly the trio winds up doing for careers nineteen years later. Anyway, I have heard that JK Rowling has discussed some things that were not addressed in the book, so maybe I should check there.

--rainmaker[/i]

*****SPOILER NOTICE*****

Just highlight the text. Didn't want to spoil it for anyone who didn't get the above hint.

I feel the same way rainmaker, especially the magical ability issue. It's been kicked around that person may have been Professor Trelawnley or Aberforth. Trelawney has never casted any spells or used her wand in any of the books and everyone thinks that she is a fraud. The barkeep, who has shown no magical powers at all the whole series, turns out to be Aberforth, Dumbledore's little brother. But this is all speculation and observation I can not provide proof that either one is right. Never really considered what Auntie P was thinking. JKR is supposed to be releasing an encyclopedia which will supposedly fill in the nineteen year gap and cover the entire HP universe.

Overall I was very happy with the book. My overall predictions and speculations of what would happen were not bad. I was right about Snape being good and being in love with Lily although I did not imagine that is was as deep as it went. I was wrong about which Weasley would take a dirt nap. I thought that it was going to Authur or Molly never dreamed of Fred. I figured Moody and Lupin would bite it. Never figured Dobby would bite it. From all the signs given knew Harry was a Horcrux, really like the way he had to die in order to remove it. I thought that at least one of the Malfoys would be taking a dirt nap. The back story on both Dumbledore and Snape were excellently done. Showing us that Dumbledore was a lot more ďhumanĒ then we had seen was awesome. Snape being the consummate anti-hero was done brilliantly. I was completely wrong on what the Deadly Hallows were too.

I do have one complaint which seems to be everyone whom I have talked to main issue too, the epilogue. It is like WTF? Definitely one, if not the best multiple book series of all time, ends like that. I feel like I was watching basketball game where my team was down by 24 points in the fourth quarter. They fight their way back into the game; are down by one and the star player misses an uncontested lay up for the win. All the air is just like gone.
Futile
@ Rainmaker
This may help you fill a few gaps ***WARNING LINK CONTAINS SPOILERS***

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19959323/
rainmaker
Hmm...There is still no word on how Aunt Petunia ties in with this all. It can be inferred from the books that there is more to be said about her, and possibly Dudley, but JK Rowling does not elaborate. I hope that she decides to expatiate in the future.
TomGrey
It was a dark and rainy night, er, terror-filled story. It was great. Adding the Deathly Hallows to the Horcrux search was a fine thing.

The epilogue was needed to FREE somebody ... from the clutches of Harry Pottermania ... JK Rowling. Now she does NOT have to write any more about him -- so she can! If she wants! but doesn't have to.


It was very well written, with lots of things happening and few extra words, but yet not so much unsaid.

What is better written? Certainly not JRRT, although I love him dearly (and for far longer).
rainmaker
The only problem is that, as I said, there are certain questions that were left unaddressed. For the number of questions that I thought this would answer, it actually created more questions in my mind. Most of these are surround the relationship between Aunt Petunia and Harry, as well as between Dudley and the latter. There seems to be so much going on that we aren't told and are only left to speculate on. Rowling has released additional information on what becomes of the trio and some other notable characters, but nothing is said about the other issues. Hopefully she does at some point in time.

--rainmaker
ainieas
To tell the truth I liked Half-Blood Prince more. there were just too many loose ends in this one. but i can't take away from Deathly Hallows the fact that it is written damn fine. But I wish the Hallows had played a bigger part in the book going by the name and all.
FunDa
I had kept wondering what "The Deathly Hallows" meant ... In fact, there was speculation that it was a reference to the time of Halloween, when the people would all die (Deathly). And Harry Potter's birthday being on July 31st, it was just another clue (false one though) about the deaths at Halloween

I'm still reading the book, as I couldn't buy it (costs a lot of money here) and was in a long queue for borrowing the book


I hope to finish it by tonight ...

See u guys later !
rainmaker
I would have to agree with ainieas. It seems like for being the last book that are still questions that need to be answered. I know I've said this countless times, but JK Rowling <i>really</i> should have elaborated more on the Potter-Dursley situation. To pose strange, uncharacteristic behavior in both Dudley and Petunia without following it up later in the book just confused me. At any rate, I guess it would have been impossible to mend everything just right given that it <i>is</i> the last book and there <i>is</i> a whole lot going on in the series.

Just out of curiousity, do you guys think that JK Rowling will write another series or add onto this one?

--rainmaker
Jakob [JaWGames]
I enjoyed the book and in my opinion it is a great book.

SPOILER WARNING (in case of that someone who not wants to know what happens in the book has come this far...)

It happened alot in the beginning, and occured loads of events in the end of the book but the period in the middle with all this reading about Albus Dumbledore and the searching for Horcruxes and Hallows could partly be a bit.. boring.

And about the deaths, I have nothing against that she killed of that many characers in the book but i felt like it was only the first deaths of Madeye and Dobby which mattered, then important characers vanished one and one, harry felt sorry for a pair of sides or so, and then they just continued.

Oh, and one more thing I wanted to whine about, I was seeing forward to a big, interesting duel with Voldemort, not that Harry would win only because he have been lucky enough to become the master of Voldemorts wand Smile

But all in all, I enjoyed this book and in my opinion it is one of the better books I have readed.
rainmaker
I would have to agree with your argument pertaining to character deaths. It took me awhile to even realize that Tonks and Remus Lupin died; it seems that for as important of characters as they were, their death should have been a little bit more...monumental.

As far as the battle between Harry and Lord Voldemort, I would have to disagree with you. I think that Harry not becoming the master of the Elder wand shows that he is different than most archetype heroes. It also acts as sort of a foil to Dumbledore's demeanor (which Dumbledore incidentally points out himself in saying that Harry "is the better man," or however it was phrased).

Anyway, just food for thought.

--rainmaker
The-Nisk
is it just me, or did the ending seemed a little ...rushed?
and as for the "Happy Ending"...I was disappointed.
I hoped J.K. Rowling to be different, but she wasn't Crying or Very sad
but then we should concider all the kids who were spared an emotional breakdown Laughing
so any thoughts anyone?

P.S. no, I didn't read all the replies Very Happy
ainieas
**SPOILERS****SPOILERS****SPOILERS****SPOILERS**



All the readers have come to be so accustomed with Hogwarts that the principal absence of Hogwarts throughout the book till almost the end is a huge minus. And Rowling was almost ruthless in the treatment of the characters of this book. The way the regular characters were falling down dead was like she was making sure that there would be no sequel to this book. There were also some glaring loopholes. Like just how the hell Ron speak Parseltongue. I just wasn't convinced of the explanation in the book. It was like Rowling didn't want him to be too much of a supporting cast and wanted him to do something in the face of the battle. The deathly hallows were like a sub plot that didn't amount to nothing. I agree that Lupin and Tonks death were mentioned in the passing.

Also with the six other books leading to the seventh and final one there were many predictable occurances. Like Harry being a Horcrux. RAB being Regulus Black (this one I read it at Frihost forum itself). Snape being the good guy and so on.

Maybe I expected Rowling to deviate from all kinds of predictable situations and surprise us all like she always does, and was disappointed. Maybe thats why there was something of a dis-satisfaction after reading the "Deathly Hallows".


**SPOILERS****SPOILERS****SPOILERS****SPOILERS**
FunDa
The fact that Harry Potter did not die was a relief for many Potter fans I know.

They really expected Harry to die or atleast lose an arm and a leg - especially after the 6th book where she killed off Albus Dumbledore.

Dumbledore's death was quick and not dramatic as many expected it should have been -

So they all feared that Eowling would just kill off Harry too !
rainmaker
I would have to agree that the last book was somewhat of an overall disappointment. To begin with the ending was rather abrupt. Prior to the book's release, I wondered how feasible it would be to tie up all of the loose ends in one book as well as introducing some new concepts. I guess now I have my answer.

I must confess that before the book was released, the alleged "spoilers" from the New York Times and Baltimore Sun that flooded the internet gave me some preconceived notions about the book that probably influenced my views on it. In any case, though, the series is a good one overall, and I hope that Rowling decides to continue writing.

--rainmaker
tidruG
I too think that some other books in the series were probably better than the last one. Anyway, we're thinking of launching an Official Frihost Writing Contest, and the first one is related to Harry Potter.
I'm looking to see how many people are interested in taking part in a small writing contest with Harry Potter as the theme... vote here
Futile
****SPOILERS****

I really donít see the confusion with the whole Dursley situation. The Dursleyís were secondary support characters at best.. I think that JK did an excellent job with that story line. It was stated that they would never see each other again. Any questions I had were answered during the Princeís Tale chapter. It explained Petuniaís attitude toward Lilly, which was just blind jealously in the end and it also, lays the ground work for why Petunia tried to suppress Harry at every turn. Dudley was just being slow and trying to be thankful to Harry for saving his life.

I agree with the way the deaths were handle during and after the battle. During war there is no time to mourn the deaths. Dobby and Fred taking a dirt nap I did not really foresee.
ainieas
And what was the deal with Neville. He's the clumsy (albeit likeable) moron almost all throughout the series till he's turned into some crusuading action hero in the final book. And I couldn't understand Luna also much. I mean she was introduced towards the end of the series and she did become an important character. For that reason I thought she might be connected to Harry's destiny or something. Din't amoutn to anything.
Obake
(Spoilers below this point. Mebbe. As if anyone reading this thread at this point is going to be able to avoid spoilers anyway. :p)

Re: Neville--I wouldn't exactly have called him a moron in the previous books (mainly all we know about him is that he's clumsy, shy, good at Herbology and really, really bad at some other classes, particularly Potions. But bad at schoolwork != stupid.) And there was some turnaround and foreshadowing in the past couple of books--he was one of the members of the DA who faced down the Death Eaters in the Ministry--but you're right, not enough. Although it does amuse me that, when in a bad pinch, the Gryffindor instinct is to go right to the Oldest Trick In The Book and pull something out of a hat.

I didn't really mind the absence of Hogwarts--Harry had already said he wasn't going back, so I was prepared for that. I did get a bit tired of the aimless wandering they did for so much of the book, though. There was...oh, ok, this is it. This is the really fundamental thing that's been nagging me about the book.

It was meant to be the penultimate Harry Potter story. But it wasn't about Harry Potter.

It was a bit about his parents, Snape, and the Marauders. It was a bit about the Order of the Phoenix in its current incarnation. It was a bit about Hogwarts and the resistance students were putting up there. It was a bit about the Deathly Hallows. An awful lot of it was about Dumbledore and his wayward youth and ever-after pangs of guilt.

But it was not about a boy called Harry Potter. Harry spent most of his time outside of the action, not having a clue what to do, stumbling around and pulling through by sheer chance or the stupendous effort of others. It's the book in which he came of age: it should have been the book in which he came into his own. Instead he needed Dumbledore's ghost or his memory or whatever to tell him not only that he'd won, but how, after the fact.

I'm not really a fan of Harry, as a character. I'm more personally interested in Snape and Draco Malfoy. But I can at least recognise that my favourite characters are not the ones who should be driving the story. I'm not sure JK did.
tidruG
You're right.
In the end, it turns out Harry was just an ordinary wizard who got lucky against Voldemort. Had Voldy had a better wand (one that didn't backfire against him), he would probably easily have killed Harry.
TomGrey
Spoilers!

I liked the book, a lot. Harry wandering around outside of Hogwarts means:
assault on the Ministry;
visit with Xeno and a chance to see how terrorism works (threaten the child and a "good man" does bad to keep child alive);
Ron saving Harry after Harry follows a Patronus (did you really guess whose Patronus it was? I thought maybe Aberforth(? Dumbledore's brother) then when his was a goat ... no thoughts);
wasn't the locket's defense / attempted seduction of Ron interesting?;
Malfoy Manor & Beatrix, more Harry being good to Goblins and House Elves (are there non-house elves?);
assault on Gringotts and escape with a dragon;
return to Hogwarts.
Finding out about the 7th Horcrux!

Neville's development is actually shown nicely in the HP 4 & 5 movies: in 4, it IS Neville that gives Harry gillyweed (not Dobby), and in 5 Neville gets the Room of Requirement to open, as well as learns how to duel. It's clear he's an outsider becoming a leader, but not one of the Three. Him pulling out the G sword to kill Nagini was another quick surprise.

In fact, JKR does so many things in this book, they almost all seem rushed near the end -- yet the Wandering was building up to all of them.

On disappointments, certainly Ron with Parselmouth was terrible, for me perhaps the worst. While I'm not surprised that Wormtail (unlisted in deaths above) is killed by Voldy's arm, I was hoping for more drama. (Tonks father is also killed, along with Dirk Crevill (?), who was involved in the Ministry break-in).
Having Ron & Hermione use the Basilisk teeth was excellent though (I had wondered before).

The second disappointment was Snape's death, too quick. I was mildly disappointed Harry didn't grab the Potions book. The Prince's Tale was great, though. What did Snape want to say before he died?

Did Snape believe Dumbledore was sacrificing Harry to get Voldemort? Dumbledore's humanity was far more than Gandalf's, for comparison.

The final duel between Tom Riddle and Harry was fine but too predictable -- Molly and Bellatrix (the Bitch!) was a bigger surprise. And I think death in war is like that -- too many to treat each as the human tragedy it is.

There is a small argument in favor of the Death Penalty involved in the Death Eater escape from Alcatraz, er, Azkaban.
saratdear
tidruG wrote:
You're right.
In the end, it turns out Harry was just an ordinary wizard who got lucky against Voldemort. Had Voldy had a better wand (one that didn't backfire against him), he would probably easily have killed Harry.


BIG SPOILERS : I have to agree with this. I half-hoped that Harry would show amazing magical skills, than rather get lucky again. But I guess it would so Harry-unlike.

I personally enjoyed the book. It was fast, yet I thought it lagged a bit in that area where it really lagged; when the three where simply roaming unable to get a clue, till the time Ron left.

Did anybody think Ron would not destroy the Horcrux after he saw all his insecurities from his mind? I sure did. And did any of the books have 'damn' or 'ruddy hell' till now?

Rowling did add an effect to that book. All the deaths, all the running, all the escaping, and...just the whole book.

And most of the characters have shown their full spirit. I didn't imagine Neville killing the snake, and it is nice that others had a chance to destroy Horcruxes too. Although the part where Ron apparently "spoke" Parseltongue was a bit lame, I admit.

The ending was OK,...just that. Nothing special about it.

Well, I just told random things from the book. I hope no one regarding it as interfering. Embarassed I do take sometime to properly get into a conversation.
ainieas
+*=-SPOILERS+*=-+*=-SPOILERS+*=-+*=-SPOILERS+*=-+*=-

Harry quite doesn't think like everyone else, does he? I mean when Bellatrix went hysterical on seeing the Griffindor sword, and knowing that there was an identical copy in her Gringotts' vault, I'd have assumed that the copy of the sword was valuable or a horcrux but Harry goes on to decide that there is another thing in the vault which is valuable (which falls in sync with the plot, but thats another thing).
Again Harry's assumption that he's Ignotus Peverells descendent defies all kinds of logic. If someone was to be buried at the same place as my family the last thing I'd assume is that they were my ancestors. For that matter Bathilda Bagshot could have been his ancestor, living in Godric's Hollow and all.

Quote:
"Ignotus Peverell is buried in Godricís Hollow..." Harry was walking blindly around the tent, feeling as though great new vistas of truth were opening all around him. "Heís my ancestor. Iím descended from the third brother! It all makes sense!"

Yeah, right!

Anyways so Harry's a descendent of the Peverell and so is Voldemort. So they are distant cousins now, huh?
tidruG
SPOILERS!
sarat, I quite expected that Neville would play an important part in this book. His character was gradually building up to it. I tremendously liked that Neville's grandma finally found pride in him.

Also, ainieas, I don't think it's completely unbelievable that Harry would think he was a descendant of Peverell. Harry already did believe in the 3 hollows' story being true, more or less. Hermoine was the cynical one. Secondly, before this, they had already learnt that Harry's cloak was quite different from other invisibility cloaks, which we know lose their magic after some time, and also, other invisibility cloaks don't protect you from magic. However, Harry's cloak, as we later find out, doesn't go away when that Death Eater shouts "Accio"
blk3
I've heard alot that the last book was really bit of a rush. Too many characters died in just one book. Some of my friends say its a bit disappointing for being the last book of the series. Anyway Iv'e heard that JKR is writing another book but not about Harry, this time they say its about an investigator or a detective or something. I read it from a Yahoo news article.
David_Pardy
Well I just read the entire series for the first time ever, in the last three weeks.

I disagree that things have to be dramatic and drawn-out to be good story-telling. Avada kedavra doesn't waste time, it's got one purpose - kill. No fooling around.

I don't think there's a problem with Ron speaking Parseltongue - it is, after all, another language. The difference between Harry and Voldemort, and Ron, is that Ron had to work out how to speak the language, whereas Harry and V speak it without thinking about it.

The other major thing throughout the entire series, is that while Harry is an above-average wizard in some areas, he also has a few major character flaws which are offset by the influences of others. Harry has very few spectacular moments to claim as his own in the entire series - not just the last book. He is bad-tempered, blatantly stupid in some parts, and often tells unnecessary lies. He also just simply has the luck of being so often in the right place at the right time.

What I find the most interesting is the amount of depth in the series. Rowling has put a lot of thought into constructing the 'wizarding world', and I didn't realise the extent of that world until reading through the 7th book.

I also have another perspective on the series for people who think there are too many deaths, etc.

You need to remember that these people are just people. They're wizards and witches, yes, but that gives them a slightly greater equality than if you were comparing 'wand-carriers' with muggles. A death-eater vs Ron? I would expect the Death Eater to win, at least in a situation on equal ground.

You need to remember that the last book is the book about the war - and war comes with casualties. In the final battle, they're dealing with Death Eaters, giant spiders, giants, and wizards and witches experienced in the dark arts. Death should be expected - it's not like these guys are stealthy, yelling out what spell they're going to cast and all that Wink.


But of course, this is all just one man's opinion. I only read the books to find out what happens, anyway. I borrowed copies Wink.
TomGrey
My wife also thought Ron "saying words" in Parselmouth was OK, mostly "open". It's true out kids were
trying to copy Harry after II-Chamber.

David, your "He is bad-tempered, blatantly stupid in some parts, and often tells unnecessary lies. " is too harsh. A main idea is that he's a well-tempered, pretty normal guy, a reasonable model to aspire to, but sometimes does get angry. Where is he being "bad-tempered"? Or blatantly stupid (as compared to wrong).? Or which are the unnecessary lies?

He is wrong sometimes. He does lie some (more than Frodo, perhaps), but he's also suffering from unjust treatment.
amicalindia
_AVG_ wrote:
As for the deaths ..... don't forget:

Crabbe
Lord Voldemort
Bellatrix
and some more people who I cannpt recall at the moment.

And about the swear words, I never imagined Mrs Weasley swearing .....



Naturally villains will die at the end dude or we will have 8 th book in the series.
David_Pardy
I'm aware that he's suffering from unjust treatment, but the boy does tend to spout off at times and take it out on the people around him who under normal circumstances actually care for him.

The reason I say he is blatantly stupid is because he often shows severe tunnel vision in his thought at times, and doesn't think very far ahead, or at least - he makes stupid decisions.

Not that really matters, because in the end he won and got to make babies with Ginny a few years afterwards. I don't know why I even care Smile.
rainmaker
I believe the fact that Harry lies, makes mistakes, and stumbles shows that he is a genuine character. It's actually one of the best qualities a hero (or hero in the making in this case) can possess. It allows us as people to relate to them on a personal level, which is why a lot of us read about it. To make Harry completely perfect would be to diminish the storyline.

--rainmaker
TomGrey
Exactly; Harry's ordinary temper, occasional lies, and being wrong make him quite normal, or only a little gifted in intuition.

But I don't see blatantly stupid, not even in HP 5 when he's sure Sirius is being tortured. He's wrong, but he DOES try to check, and Kreacher lies to him -- which nobody warned Harry about as a possibility.

Kreacher's character development in HP 7 was a small highlight; as was his description of the death of RAB.
TurtleShell
kreacher's development in 7 was awesome! It totally changed him for me.
tidruG
Just a reminder, everyone, of the Frihost Official Writing Contest. Basically, it's your chance to re-write the ending of this book in any way you want. The deadline is September 10, but we can extend it by a bit if you want.
rainmaker
I agree. Kreacher is sort of a reminder that we need to have a full story on someone before we can make a judgment. Because Harry, Ron, and Hermione respected him and gave him a chance, it ultimately paid off. Way to go, Hermione!

--rainmaker
TomGrey
Also in HP 7, more of Dumbledore's mistakes are shown, very nicely. A far better/ realistic father figure than Gandalf (in LOTR; Gandalf was actually better in The Hobbit, a fairy tale, not an epic Good vs. Evil).

However, I really didn't like the Elder Wand being lost by Grindleward (??) to Dumbledore in a fight -- if the wand, not the wizard, is invincible, how did Dumbledore win?

Or did he? Maybe he tricked or stole it? Not clear, no time to find out from JKR sites... help?

But Dumbledore's mistake in not telling Harry about the prophecy in HP 5 was the worst; finding out the Marvolo ring was the Resurrection Stone was a reasonable excuse for him to be so careless with a Voldemort horcrux.

The flaws in all the HP characters are part of the joyous identification of the books.
David_Pardy
You are aware that in LOTR, Gandalf is one of the Maiar? One of the servants of Illuvatar who chose to interact with the inhabitants of Ea? As are Saruman and Sauron. That's why they're not ideal father-figures, they're essentially micro-gods Wink.
FunDa
Yup, keeping things real .... Nobody's all good, and nobody's all bad either.


Just 16.7 million shades of grey (or is it gray ?)
Nice anyway
kuhdorf
i dont like it very much but the movie is good^^
Obake
teatrodenieve wrote:
This is the review of the book Amazon shows


O.o;; Actually, that's not a review, but the blurb you can find on the inside cover of the book. It's promotional material, that's all.
Related topics
Harry potter only for children ???
A new movie....Harry Potter 4...
Harry Potter, Are you into it?
Harry Potter 6 - The Half-Blood Prince *(ENDING REVEALED)*
Harry Potter Prisioner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter Avatars(etc) REQUIRED - Lots of $frih !!!
Harry Potter 7
Spoiler ridden Harry Potter discussion
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter And the Deathly Hallows will be splitted!!
Harry Potter And the deathly Hallows
Most anticipated movies of 2011?
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Literature

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.