FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows Vista Syle on Windows XP

world2kids
For anyone who likes the Vista style (areo glass) but can't runn Vista and/or afford it. Try the Vista Transformation Pack. You can get it @ softpedia.com Although it says you have a chance of messing up your computers shell UI system. It doesn't, and it's just like the real thing. Then get the Sidebar at desktopsidebar.com
kevinalle
You must know that it CAN mess up you r computer and even make it not work again. Whats the problem with windows XP style? I reccommend you try this only if nessesary...
good luck
MonkeyBones
I agree with Kevin. Everyone does not load the same software onto their machine so just because it works for you and doesn't crash your Shell UI doesn't mean that it will work for everyone. I would recommend not using this unless it is necessary.

This system is not easy to uninstall if needed. I know from personal experience. I would say that if you like Vista, purchase the upgrade to vista and don't waste your time and take a chance at loss of critical data over a fancy theme monster.
pashmina
kevinalle wrote:
You must know that it CAN mess up you r computer and even make it not work again. Whats the problem with windows XP style? I reccommend you try this only if nessesary...
good luck

Yes indeed. I have tried them last year it messed up my files. when i uninstall ed them, it didn't go completely. the icon files were completely messed up. I don't recommend these stuffs.
JamesBond
u can use bricopacks vista inspirat to get the same effect. its quite good....
SylentSnipe
It has messed up my pc to the point I had to reinstall the os. I would not recommend it at all. But what I would recommend is looking at wincustomize.com
kevinalle
I use plain old win 98 style.
Faster, effectiver, better.
You mustnt worry about nice layout...
Arno v. Lumig
How much RAM does it use? I've seen Vista use 445MB without any applications, and no sidebar...

Greetz,
Arno
ltwomba
This is cool until you get tired of it, and you realize it's consuming more RAM than it used to. Then you'll try to uninstall it, and it won't be easy (if possible). You'll have to reinstall XP. To get a skinnable desktop, Linux (KDE or GNOME) is the way to go.
Srs2388
None of them have the 'glass' effect for vista... I just have the windows xp media center edition theme... well I have windows xp media center anyways so that would make sense.
{name here}
Special effects at Vista's calibre are just total wastes of CPU clock time.
Kitten Kong
but its soooo shiny!
pah8000
MonkeyBones wrote:
............This system is not easy to uninstall if needed. I know from personal experience. I would say that if you like Vista, purchase the upgrade to vista and don't waste your time and take a chance at loss of critical data over a fancy theme monster.

Strongly agree ....Installing such things may make your system crash. If you love Vista so much , buy one.
reddishblue
I will NEVER buy Vista, its just a glass effect over XP anyway
smoke-productions
i am currently using vista. It is a pretty nice change and every person who uses my computer commends its outlook. But this does come at a price. The compatibility and general functioning goes to the dogs. I can not run half my old programs. So now i have solely dedicated my pc to music and movies. Programs can be run elsewhere. Vista rocks. Combine it with a saab aero-x interior wallpaper and you will realise what i mean.
orcaz
Vista Transformation Pack is seriously one of the best ones to make ur XP look like Vista. I have been running it for almost half a year without any problems, no major memory increment, and I am able to install MS updates and run softwares normally.
pashmina
try this transformation pack http://www.jcxp.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=13415
really nice one
Srs2388
this one looks much better Smile it appears to have glass, unless you somehow made it do it lol....
i'm going to give it a try... my computer isn't working well anyways so i could care less if it crashes it
pashmina
Srs2388 wrote:
this one looks much better Smile it appears to have glass, unless you somehow made it do it lol....
i'm going to give it a try... my computer isn't working well anyways so i could care less if it crashes it

Yep you should definitely give it a try. its very nice. seriously