FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hide Email Address With Javascript - Worth It?

Animal
I currently don't have a mailto: link on my website in an attempt to defeat the spammers (it's in a nice image that took me too long to make!) but it would be better if there was one. I came across the following javascript code:

Code:
<a onclick="javascript:this.href='ma'+'ilto'+''+':'+''+'email@address.'+''+'com'" href="#">Email Me</a>

I've never manually coded javascript before, but I wanted to check a few things. Before I clicked on the link made by the above code, the link in the status bar showed http://www.site.com/# but after I'd clicked it, the full email address was shown. Does that mean, therefore, that this script is actually pointless?

Is there any point in implementing a system like this, or would spam bots see right through it and pick up the email address anyway?
Mosquito.Tyler
I don't know how spambots work exactly, but I suppose that would deter some of them. Personally, I have a PHP email form on my website, that way no one (including bots) can see which address it is sending to.
Maxus
it think it's even better if you split up the mailadress aswell, but if someone is really searching it, goes to the source and searches for @ it's easilly found.
CyanEyed
as mosquito said, use a php script - a lot of people use web based email (hotmail) and when they click a mailto link, it opens in outlook

or, create a little flash button, ive seen it before. it says click for my email address, and then when u click it, it shows it, and if u click it again, it works as a mailto link. try it
Animal
CyanEyed wrote:
or, create a little flash button, ive seen it before. it says click for my email address, and then when u click it, it shows it, and if u click it again, it works as a mailto link. try it

That's a great idea. Now I guess I'll need to get down to the marketplace and find someone who's got Macromedia Flash...