FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

MIDI converter

Nintendo
Hi there. I'm wondering if anybody on these forums perhaps has a MIDI converter, so i can convert a midi file to an mp3. I'v DLed and installed several programs, all of which only convert 50% or less of the MIDI because its only a "trial run". Ofcourse, you haver to pay for the full thing. Does anyone know of a free MIDI converter i can download, or does anyone own a midi converter, so i could perhaps send the midi to you? It would be greatly appreciated if i could, because this MIDI contains some of my music work. It would be good to be able to upload it to websites too, of which i can only upload mp3's.
Thx for your time
Nin
Arnie
MIDI sounds different on different sound cards because it's like sheet music that the computer plays. With a different card the instruments sound different, so it's like you hear the same piece performed by two different groups of people. This is the reason why MIDI files are so small compared to MP3, and also why it's impossible to faithfully convert MP3 to MIDI. (I know you want MIDI to MP3, this is possible, read on.) MIDI files aren't really the definition of sound like MP3s are, but just instructions that the computer has to work with to produce sound.

Even with the same card you can get different performance. For example, with the Creative Soundblaster PCI 128 (a budget card from around 2000) you can use different 'wavesets'. A waveset defines how the instruments sound. Now for this one card there is a 2MB waveset, a 4MB and an 8MB. (These can be configured in the device manager.) If you use the 8MB waveset you usually get the highest quality, but I find some files sound better with the 2MB.

Anyway, to record the performance of a MIDI file on YOUR computer, you just play the MIDI file and record the output with for example Audacity. Select "Stereo Output" or something like that as a recording source and make sure you set the recording volume properly.

The recording you make like this is really 'static' so it sounds the same everywhere, because it's a Wave / Mp3 / whatever you make of it.
Nintendo
Thx arnie, this is a good temporary solution for getting it on mp3, and i have uploaded it on a few sites now. But as you said, its very "static". If anyone could please reply about the converter, id be greatful. Thx alot
Nin
{name here}
Nintendo wrote:
Thx arnie, this is a good temporary solution for getting it on mp3, and i have uploaded it on a few sites now. But as you said, its very "static". If anyone could please reply about the converter, id be greatful. Thx alot
Nin

By 'static' he means the programming version of the word 'static', which is fixed, and not the audial version of the word which means 'sounding like a hurricane in the background like a record'.

If you really want a converter get a mod sequencer. Use the sequencer to import the MIDI file. The sequencer should be able to export to at least WAV or you can leave it as a MOD, and then either use LAME to encode the WAV into an MP3, or convert the mod to a WAV and use LAME to encode it. A MOD file is just like a MIDI file, but the difference is it stores to sounds of the keys onto the file. It is very popular for ameteur composers and sound format in ameteur games.
Arnie
Do I understand correctly that your recording sounds a bit noisy? With static I meant, as mentioned above, a fixed result that's the same in every environment (as opposed to 'variable'). MP3/Wave can be considered static, but MIDI variable as it depends on the playing environment.

Anyway, the recording should sound as a near-perfect copy of the MIDI as played on your computer. But if there is noise on your sound card, this can cause noise in the recording. Prior to recording with Audacity, go to the Windows Mixer (Playback Control) and mute everything except the MIDI Sequencer (also called SW Synthesizer). Make sure all audio sources are made visible so you can mute all of them, do this with Options, Properties. Then try recording again and see if it's better.
boulder
There's a software synthesizer called Yamaha Smile The Yamaha engine sound really good. Better than all these large soundbanks.
Some of the Yamaha software players had the button "save to wave". I'm doing conversion MIDI->WAV->MP3 twice a week as I like listen to MIDI's with my mp3-player. Are you still interested in such a technology? Wink
Arnie
I'm interested in this Yamaha synthesiser. Is it legally free to obtain from the Internet?
boulder
The trial version works only 1 month.
In fact it <could> work in 1998 or so. Now you need to edit your date back to this value.

There are several yamaha programs that can help. I cannot be sure of legality of any of them.
Theres is Yamaha Softsynth - 4MB-soundfont engine which can work seamlessly with windows XP and 2003 server. You need to install it as an audio-driver. I can't remember any legal notice about it.
You can download it there: http://slil.ru/24815773

If the quality wouldn't disappoint you I can point you to Yamaha-player links.
Arnie
Hmm yeah, I want it legally secure so can't give it a shot, unfortunately.
guissmo
Not reading the other lengthy posts above... you can try this...

Go to your recording devices, check STEREO MIX.
Open Windows Sound Recorder or any sound recorder and press RECORD.
Play the MIDI file from your computer.

That's it. Wink
ninjakannon
guissmo wrote:
Not reading the other lengthy posts above... you can try this...

Go to your recording devices, check STEREO MIX.
Open Windows Sound Recorder or any sound recorder and press RECORD.
Play the MIDI file from your computer.

That's it. Wink

This topic really should be closed now. Nintendo has actually solved his problem and asked it months and months ago.

About your suggestion guissmo. I know what you're talking about, however some computers don't have that option - I used a computer a year or so ago where I would use your technique commonly for various bits and pieces. But no other computer that I've used has had this option. There must be something you can download to get it though..?

Okay, so I've put the kibosh on closing this topic by asking a question. Heh, never mind. Razz