FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Road Sign: "Use Both Lanes" - what do you do?

bgillingham
I remember a road sign that was on a two lane highway offramp. It only had the three words on it - "USE BOTH LANES".

I always drove down the middle of both lanes -- using both lanes - as instructed by the road sign.

Has anybody else ever seen this sign, and wondered if they could have worded it a little better.
Satori
I have never seen such a sign...but if I did see one, I'd probably do as you did. I suppose we'll see if anyone else has seen it. If they haven't, then maybe you just imagined it Smile
HoboPelican
LOL. I can't remember specifically seeing that sign, but I would have interpreted it the opposite way. I would assume that the dept of transportation was telling drivers to NOT create one lane by driving down the middle of the road, but instead to use one lane or another. That interpretation would seem to match up with the intent of having two lanes marked on the exit.
scimitarmoon
HoboPelican wrote:
LOL. I can't remember specifically seeing that sign, but I would have interpreted it the opposite way. I would assume that the dept of transportation was telling drivers to NOT create one lane by driving down the middle of the road, but instead to use one lane or another. That interpretation would seem to match up with the intent of having two lanes marked on the exit.

That would be my guess as well. My assumption would be that they were trying to alert drivers that it is, in fact, a two lane ramp and that there should be two lanes, not one. Then again, I don't drive, so I could be totally wrong.
Captain Fertile
I pass a sign that syas this almost every day. Just to warn drivers not to hog just one lane, at busy times you can use both.

The best sign I ever saw was in the 80's when speed bumps first appeared, they were then called sleeping bpolicemen or a padestrien hump. The sign said "PADESTRIAN HUMPS IN ROAD"

I always thought that padestrian was living life to the max!
bgillingham
Captain Fertile wrote:
I pass a sign that syas this almost every day. Just to warn drivers not to hog just one lane, at busy times you can use both.

The best sign I ever saw was in the 80's when speed bumps first appeared, they were then called sleeping bpolicemen or a padestrien hump. The sign said "PADESTRIAN HUMPS IN ROAD"

I hear the Beatles now "...why don't we do it in the road? no one will be watching us, why don't we do it in the road? ..."
HoboPelican
Captain Fertile wrote:
...The sign said "PADESTRIAN HUMPS IN ROAD"

LOL. My best friend lives in a neighborhood with signs everywhere saying "Speed Humps". I chuckle every time I visit thinking of all those quickies being had. Smile

But I am glad to see others interpreting that both lane sign the way I did. It amazes me the different way people think about driving. I know two people who get really upset when in a parking lot, someone waves them to go ahead. I see it as being polite and clear, they see it as the other driver being controlling Confused These are good, intelligent drivers, but they just see things different.
Aless
I love the UK where we have "Striped Zebra Crossings". Zebra crossings are where pedestrians can cross & the cars HAVE to stop, but not knowing that, one would think we were in the middle of a safari! Smile
bgillingham
For those interested in viewing other funny road signs, I stumbled upon this website: http://www.stopandgo.org/gallery/traffic-signs-2005/

They had an image of "Use Both Lanes to Merge Point", but that is not the same sign that I saw. I believe that it was one of those yellow diamond signs (used for famous "Falling Rock" sign).

"WATCH YOUR MIRRORS ON BOTH SIDES" - don't we have to have these signs approved by some Dept. of Transportation or something?!
Agent ME
About traffic signs - are there any speed limit signs ending not in a 5 or 0? Lol.
sibbahz
They have them signs in the UK as well, usually where there is a lane closure approaching and to remind drivers to use the second lane right up to the end.

Seen them leaving the motorway at leicester, except there it said use left lane for leicester, even know its a right turn.
Captain Fertile
I almost laughed myself into a ditch when I first saw this roadsign while driving.

(yes it is a real roadsign here in the UK and I pass it all the time all over the place)
ocalhoun
Agent ME wrote:
About traffic signs - are there any speed limit signs ending not in a 5 or 0? Lol.

I've seen one (on a private road, of course not on a public highway) that set the speed limit at 27mph. It is very rare, though.
Kaisonic
I haven't seen that sign (to my knowledge), but here's a weird group of signs:

Caption: Where the hell am I going?
proficius
i use both lanes
OutlawSpirit
use both lanes...

i seen this.. and i dont think it means drive in the middle Laughing

i think it is making you aware that you can use either of the 2 lanes to drive in...
bgillingham
I would love to see if the case could hold up in a court of law.

DRIVER: ...uhh... what seems to be the problem, Officer?

OFFICER: A simple moving violation. You were using both lanes of this off-ramp here!

DRIVER: ... and the sign told me to do exactly that, it read "use BOTH lanes", so I used both lanes.

I really almost always drove down the middle of this specific off ramp - hoping that one day I would be pulled over for it, but alas it never happened and they have replaced the sign with something that is less ambiguous.
amusic
never seen such road sign before. But if I see such road sign, i will just ignore it...... Wink
ninjakannon
I haven't seen that particular sign before, but I have seen a lot of silly signs before.

This topic gave me a great idea, I searched 'silly signs' and 'silly road signs' on Google images and got quite a lot of funny ones.

Take a look this:

This:

And this:

I also found this page, which I thought was quite good - take a look.

I thought all of those were pretty funny, some made me laugh out loud. Very Happy

You wonder who's making these things, and how many quality checks they have.
geoveo
How's this for a sign. It is in Wales in the UK.

When officials asked for the Welsh translation of a road sign, they thought the reply was what they needed.

The English is clear enough but the Welsh reads
"I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated."

Unfortunately, the e-mail response to Swansea council, who sent for the translation, said in Welsh: "I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated".

geoveo
Referring to the origin of this thread surely the signs should read “Use either lane”.
We have one here on the M40 near Oxford.
vineeth
Yea, the sign is confusing but using both the lines at the same time by driving on the center is crazy... may be those who have posted this sign careless, or rather thoughtless but people are not.

Better change it to "USE EITHER LINE" as said earlier...
Crazy_Canuck
I'd like to say "take my half from both lanes" but I would probably figure out the true intent. It is a poorly worded sign though.
gr8inferno
I'd stay on the right side.
kishan
i dnt knw anythng in this matter..........
tony
OutlawSpirit wrote:
use both lanes...

i seen this.. and i dont think it means drive in the middle Laughing

i think it is making you aware that you can use either of the 2 lanes to drive in...

I have to agree with OutlawSpirit. It seems to make the most sense this way. Still a funny sign!
loonix
I'd take it to mean I could use either lane and agree the wording is rather ambiguous.

Maybe my pedantic side would invoke changing lanes every 10 seconds to give each lane some of my driving time.
psycosquirrel
ninjakannon wrote:
I haven't seen that particular sign before, but I have seen a lot of silly signs before.

This topic gave me a great idea, I searched 'silly signs' and 'silly road signs' on Google images and got quite a lot of funny ones.

And this:

I've actually seen that sign. It is in Virginia, USA...

Back on topic...

I would use both lanes. But using both simply to spite the ambiguity of the sign sounds fun too.
Arty
geoveo wrote:
How's this for a sign. It is in Wales in the UK.

When officials asked for the Welsh translation of a road sign, they thought the reply was what they needed.

The English is clear enough but the Welsh reads
"I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated."

Unfortunately, the e-mail response to Swansea council, who sent for the translation, said in Welsh: "I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated".

LOL.
guissmo
We have signs in the road itself. It was something like "DOWN SLOW". It's painted on the road floor but DOWN was on top of SLOW. So for a second I was like, what the?

Is there any reason why they print it that way?
friuser
I always interpretted the use both lanes as in that there are TWO LANES. I can confirm this by using google and came up with this http://www.tinker.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123101785.

I do notice use both lanes from areas where a lane was not painted to separate the lanes. The highways state it sometimes when there will be two major exists east and west so they are telling you the current road has two lanes so. Now I've never seen anyone use both lanes as one lane in nyc where I've seen these signs and always thought someone was being an ass. Actually you can get ticketed. When I do, now I know why.
friuser
guissmo wrote:
We have signs in the road itself. It was something like "DOWN SLOW". It's painted on the road floor but DOWN was on top of SLOW. So for a second I was like, what the?

I can only assume at night you will see slow before down. That is why they put it first. Could be unique to that road or it's probably a mistake.
ninjakannon
guissmo wrote:

Well, the "SLOW" will be nearer to you sooner than the "DOWN", so they must expect you'll read them in that order. Or perhaps because you'll see the keyword first, I'm not exactly sure - but something along those lines. In the UK we just have "SLOW" written, so it avoids that.
Afaceinthematrix
guissmo wrote:

That's common in the US. If you're driving, you'll see "slow" before you'll see "down." We often have things written like that on the road. It makes a lot of sense if you think about it. Another common one is "stop sign ahead" being written with "stop" first, "sign" second, and ahead "third."
PatTheGreat42
I would put a "don't" sticker on it, just to mess with ya.
standready
guissmo wrote:

DOWN
SLOW

The thinking is you will read the each word you approach them.

On topic:
Never seen a sign like that but if I did I would just drive on the sidewalk to avoid confusion - LOL
Ghost900
I am not sure I have seen something like this but if I did I would interpret to use a single lane but that there are two lanes available.

Driving down the middle of both lanes. LoL they could have worded it better I guess. Laughing
scriptedsymphony
There are too many funny road signs on Google images, but I've selected the best two on the first page. XD

http://www.k0lee.com/bor77reunion/uploaded_images/bat_cave-762980.jpg
This one because it's just Epic.

http://paulfite.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/funny-traffic-sign.jpg
And this one because it made me giggle. ^^
Crazy_Canuck
Funny signs never grow old. LOL

I like looking at the mangled translations from Chinese to English too.
Arty
LOL at the bat cave! Very Happy

Is that sign in the U.S.?
Crazy_Canuck
I always hate seeing the "Your License Plate Dollars At Work" signs. I really hope they can come up with something better to do with my license plate dollars, than print out signs and scatter them along the road!
mwsupra
Unfortunately I don't have any original, interesting signs in my area I could take a pic of, so I was searching around and of course there's sites for this stuff: http://www.roadtripamerica.com/signs/signs.htm

Funny stuff they put on signs....