FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

accesing my computer from home and share my internet conn

ronald.helpdesk
Hi guys, I want to play with my network from home, using a telephone modem, I want to connect to my computer (if it's possible make the computer dial my modem) and share resources, p.e. internet connection and shared folders... I want to know if it's that possible, I don't have much experience in this issue, I really need this...
MonkeyBones
If you are a windows user, you would make use of the remote access services. If you are a windows XP user, you will need to go into network connections and create a new network connection called accept incoming connections. When you set this up, you will need to specify the user, modem, and network protocols that need to be assigned. Then go into your services list and start the remote access connection manager service and the routing and remote access service.

After doing this, you should be able to use windows phone dialer to dial your other machine and connect to it. This will only work and allow you to share resources. If you'd like to view the screen, you will need to use another software like VNC to view and control the desktop. you can find a copy of this at http://www.realvnc.com

I hope this helps. let me know if you need some help figuring things out.
ronald.helpdesk
MonkeyBones wrote:
If you are a windows user, you would make use of the remote access services. If you are a windows XP user, you will need to go into network connections and create a new network connection called accept incoming connections. When you set this up, you will need to specify the user, modem, and network protocols that need to be assigned. Then go into your services list and start the remote access connection manager service and the routing and remote access service.

After doing this, you should be able to use windows phone dialer to dial your other machine and connect to it. This will only work and allow you to share resources. If you'd like to view the screen, you will need to use another software like VNC to view and control the desktop. you can find a copy of this at http://www.realvnc.com

I hope this helps. let me know if you need some help figuring things out.

That was my frist try on this issue, I created the accept incoming connections and all that stuff, dialed from home, my computer at work answered, but ups, can't get any shared resources... nothing, not even the damn shared folders... does it has something to do, with being under a proxy server??? I have WinXP sp2, in both computers, the server is a linux, with proxy access to internet via squid. But anyway, that's only for the internet access, the thing is, that I'm not able to even look at the local resources... I'll try something different today, I'll try with symantec pc-anywhere... cuz I'm not quite sure if vnc works over modem connections. Thanks anyway.
MonkeyBones
You will not automatically see any shared resources but you will have them accessible to you through the remote access connection. If you go to Start/Run and type \\computername\sharename you will be able to access your shared files from that machine. If you do not know the computer name, you can also specify the RAS server ip. \\192.168.1.5\sharedfiles or whatever. I use this procedure at work almost every day doing support for machines that only have modem accessibility. Smile I use the procedure listed here for file transfer purposes.
ronald.helpdesk
MonkeyBones wrote:
You will not automatically see any shared resources but you will have them accessible to you through the remote access connection. If you go to Start/Run and type \\computername\sharename you will be able to access your shared files from that machine. If you do not know the computer name, you can also specify the RAS server ip. \\192.168.1.5\sharedfiles or whatever. I use this procedure at work almost every day doing support for machines that only have modem accessibility. :) I use the procedure listed here for file transfer purposes.

I've tried, in several ways, but I guess I'm doing something wrong, the thing is that the most I needed, the file transfer, now I got it, trough Pc-Anywhere, also the remote control and stuff like that, but, I have to remote control to browse using the host computer, I still need to find the way to share my internet connection trough the remote connection, but anyway, I'll keep trying; I'm sure I'll figure out something.