FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


What about a gamemaking forum?






Who want a gamemaker forum?
Me
33%
 33%  [ 9 ]
Not me
55%
 55%  [ 15 ]
I dont care
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 27

Boffel
What about a forum for those who like gamemaking? They also want to chat about what they like. And because I have to be active in the forum, I need some interesting stuff to talk about.

I want to know more about what GameMaker`s that is the best, what people use, GameMaker languages, tutorials, show my games and look at others etc.

Can you please add it? This is an active forum and good to talk about gamemaking. Im sure it will be an active forum.

And If you can, please add a 3D Modeling forum to. That is also interesting for gamemakers and animation makers.

Im waiting for response Razz

Edit:

This is not a request for a "gamemaker" forum, but a forum about ALL game-makers!

And also:

All who votes, should please comment why they voted like they did.
garionw
Game Maker isn't very diverse enough but you never know, there was a film making forum, however, for disscussion of Games, I recommend going to Games Forum. For the discussion of the Game Maker Language, Others in the scripting category might also help and once again, the Games forum would be the best place to publicize your games.

Hope that helps, sorry if it's a little diverse, but a single Game Maker forum just won't get that much publicity (I think, anyway Very Happy )


Garion
Boffel
Not Game Maker program, but all Game Makers!

Everything about gamemaking, and gamemaker languages.

So what are you saying now eh?


Edit:

Games forum?

IM NOT TALKING ABOUT GAMES I LIKE TO PLAY, BUT HOW TO MAKE THEM!Evil or Very Mad


Hope that was clear enough... Rolling Eyes

And im not talking about just submiting my games, but get responce by people that is experienced in gamemaking.
Hogwarts
Boffel wrote:
Not Game Maker program, but all Game Makers!

Everything about gamemaking, and gamemaker languages.

So what are you saying now eh?

Still, you have the games and the Others (scripting) forum.

Exactly as garionw said, there aren't enough people. Although I would mind seeing one, it won't be used much.
Boffel
Nobody cares about gamemaking in the game forum. And in the Scripting forum, its to many languages to talk about, to find any gamemaking forums.
garionw
Boffel wrote:
Nobody cares about gamemaking in the game forum. And in the Scripting forum, its to many languages to talk about, to find any gamemaking forums.


THats what the search is for, and if you can't fin it then, create your own. If no-one replies, it will get lost, and will be proved unpopular.

If its successful, people will post in it, and keep the topic up the top.
reddishblue
Yeah true, there are specific communities out there in the web, unfortunately our gaming community is much more intrested in commercial games then often more fun amiture ones.
I would try posting in the general chat forum personally for the reason above Wink
Boffel
OK man. I give up!

I posted my game in the game forum, and mods, you can close this topic if you want to...
Bondings
Boffel, I actually don't find this such a bad idea, as long as enough people are interested and will be posting in it. And there are at least some people here involved in making games, maybe not enough though.
Scorpio
Well, if it is possible to install sub forums, then you could add the game-maker forum as a sub forum.
Bondings
I will most likely change the index page and the way forums are displayed. It will rather be in 2 colums and with much less space per forum (and also without the long descriptions), which will make the index page much shorter and able to have more forums. I might also make it manually, so I can give more space to more important forums and less to the smaller ones.
Marston
Bondings wrote:
I will most likely change the index page and the way forums are displayed. It will rather be in 2 colums and with much less space per forum (and also without the long descriptions), which will make the index page much shorter and able to have more forums. I might also make it manually, so I can give more space to more important forums and less to the smaller ones.
Sometime soon, I hope. Wink
garionw
Bondings wrote:
I will most likely change the index page and the way forums are displayed. It will rather be in 2 colums and with much less space per forum (and also without the long descriptions), which will make the index page much shorter and able to have more forums. I might also make it manually, so I can give more space to more important forums and less to the smaller ones.


Will we get to arrange them the way we want, and hide the ones we don't want to see, or will it just be the way it is?
Bondings
Yeah garionw, I'm planning to do that too. However, I think it will be easier to do it per category and not per forum.
garionw
Bondings wrote:
Yeah garionw, I'm planning to do that too. However, I think it will be easier to do it per category and not per forum.


I was just looking up some of the bigger boards and saw Gaia Forums, are you planning something like that - if so I would suggest partnering it up with something like the download.com search to achieve something like this:



As long as you don't completely change the phpBB essence, I don't care Razz
simplyw00x
I think this is a *bad* idea because game making is an incredibly complex and difficult objective that attracts exactly the wrong kind of people. The forum will be flooded with "HOW I MAKE GAME???!!!!" posts rather than useful things and no number of well-meaning tutorials and advice to, you know, learn an engine and a programming language, will dissuade people from thinking that making Halo took some bloke 15 minutes between sandwiches.

If you don't believe me, look at the ratio of "WHAT IZ LINUXXX?" posts to actual thoughtful posts in the OS subforum. It's not exactly encouraging.
LostOverThere
Yeah, I'd sure be interested.


Just so long as anything related to making games can be discussed there (EG: Any Language, Graphics, Questions, Comments).


Just so long as Bondings makes it clear that members creations/games should be posted in the Games forum or the Game Making forum (Depending on what Bondings wants)
Boffel
simplyw00x wrote:
I think this is a *bad* idea because game making is an incredibly complex and difficult objective that attracts exactly the wrong kind of people. The forum will be flooded with "HOW I MAKE GAME???!!!!" posts rather than useful things and no number of well-meaning tutorials and advice to, you know, learn an engine and a programming language, will dissuade people from thinking that making Halo took some bloke 15 minutes between sandwiches.

If you don't believe me, look at the ratio of "WHAT IZ LINUXXX?" posts to actual thoughtful posts in the OS subforum. It's not exactly encouraging.


Well... then you have to ask youre self, how to stop this?

Example answer:

Sticky topic - Read before posting!

Rules: Dont ask questions have to make a game! etc...

Then, we could make another Sticky topic: Game Making guides

Wink

I could post a lot more examples, but I think you understand what I mean... Very Happy
Animal
Boffel wrote:
Sticky topic - Read before posting!

There is a real problem with these topics - they appear to be invisible to most new members! Wink

No matter what is posted in a sticky, there will still be new topics posted asking questions that are answered already. It may help, but it won't solve the problem. But saying that, it's a problem in every other forum on Frihost, so it'll be a problem in the Game Maker forum too - I don't see this as being a major reason not to make one.
Boffel
Well yeah, I have to agree with that.Confused But thank you realy much, that you moderators are positive to this idea. I think this also can be a good forum, as many gamemakers has replyed to this topic I made in the game forum: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-63132.html

Actually that was more then expected from me, and it looks like it is many game creators here. Very Happy
simplyw00x
Quote:
Sticky topic - Read before posting!

Even people who read these ignore them. And my point is that a game-making forum will attract too low a standard of programmer to be of any real use by its nature.
LostOverThere
Just look at THIS.

This is about how many games sites there are already on Frihost, these people (including myself), already make games, some of them, damn good ones too.

I think this could help get a lot more people into making games, and extending there imagination.

Not to forget all the people here who are pro at graphics, gee, these people could help the programmers.

Bondings, if you would like me to write an articles on how to's or anything, for a game making forum, just ask, i'm more then happy to. Very Happy
Flakky
The name of it: "Game making" doesn't sound good and people might confuse it with Game Maker itself. You can just make topics in the Scripting -> Others forums and have the topic title a prefix ([GM] or [GM+Design] for example) that will indicates what the language is, what the subject is about and so on.

This will seperate everything and others should do the same for it for a post about the language they want to talk about.

Now I started talking about prefixes, people should not make topics like 'Dynamic Images' or 'Permalinks' (real examples, sorry if you made that topic).

However this is a good idea, I don't think it is really necessary to make a whole new (sub)forum for it.
mathiaus
LostOverThere wrote:
Just look at THIS.
This is about how many games sites there are already on Frihost, these people (including myself), already make games, some of them, damn good ones too.

Yes but there's only 15 there, and not all of them create and distribute games.
ninjakannon
LostOverThere wrote:
Just look at THIS

How do you get your site listed on there? I've been here for so long and still don't know, sorry. Confused

I'm hoping to re-design my website and make some games to put on there but I'm still against a games forum. Firstly, it wouldn't get too many posts - it's quite a specific thing. Furthermore, you can talk about game design (or another aspect of game creation) on one of the other forums on FriHost, I've seen it done and have posted about game making before.
mathiaus
ninjakannon wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:
Just look at THIS

How do you get your site listed on there? I've been here for so long and still don't know, sorry. Confused

I'm hoping to re-design my website and make some games to put on there but I'm still against a games forum. Firstly, it wouldn't get too many posts - it's quite a specific thing. Furthermore, you can talk about game design (or another aspect of game creation) on one of the other forums on FriHost, I've seen it done and have posted about game making before.

On your account page under Directory Listing, costs $frih though Razz
ninjakannon
mathiaus wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:
Just look at THIS

How do you get your site listed on there? I've been here for so long and still don't know, sorry. Confused

I'm hoping to re-design my website and make some games to put on there but I'm still against a games forum. Firstly, it wouldn't get too many posts - it's quite a specific thing. Furthermore, you can talk about game design (or another aspect of game creation) on one of the other forums on FriHost, I've seen it done and have posted about game making before.

On your account page under Directory Listing, costs $frih though Razz

Ahh, thank you!

That's so obvious; it's even been right under my nose quite a few times (Okay, right in front of my nose then) and I hadn't even noticed. Razz

It only costs 50 FRIH$, so I've got to remember to add my site to there after I've re-designed it, which could be quite a time at this rate but never mind.
LostOverThere
Now Look here:
http://www.frihost.com/directory/category-13.php

Theres 7 Sports Sites, and Already a Sports forums?


But there's 15 Games sites, and not even a games forum.
Animal
LostOverThere wrote:
Theres 7 Sports Sites, and Already a Sports forums?


But there's 15 Games sites, and not even a games forum.

What...? You mean the Games Forum?

Wink
LostOverThere
You know what I meant, I meant a Game Making Forum
Boffel
LostOverThere wrote:
Now Look here:
http://www.frihost.com/directory/category-13.php

Theres 7 Sports Sites, and Already a Sports forums?


But there's 15 Games sites, and not even a games forum.


Yeah, I have to agree with this. Its unfair! Purhaps we got 6 votes for not want to have a game maker forum, and 3 to have it, but if we had the same poll before you made a sport forum about sport, I think they would poll in the same way as they have done here.

And if you dont like gamemaking, you should poll I dont care...

Not I dont want it because you hate game making. Then you have to get a good reason first, and then post youre good reason here! Evil or Very Mad
awesty
May I suggest a 'Showcase' forum instead of the gamemaker forum. I want to post my games/animations, but there isnt anywhere to post them.

That way there are more people who would be involved too.
reddishblue
There is no way we are getting a Game Making forum, that is WAY to specific, besides Boffel you got a reasonable response in the Games forum, why do we need a Game Making forum, I was against Film making and half the people who voted there hardly ever post there.
In short, just use the games forum.

Oh yeah and sports is a much broader topic than Game Making, thats why we have it
garionw
reddishblue wrote:
There is no way we are getting a Game Making forum, that is WAY to specific, besides Boffel you got a reasonable response in the Games forum, why do we need a Game Making forum, I was against Film making and half the people who voted there hardly ever post there.
In short, just use the games forum.

Oh yeah and sports is a much broader topic than Game Making, thats why we have it


Yeah I would agree with you there on that one, it would be like have a Tennis forum. While it's still considered a sport - it's just too specific. And thats what Game Making is.

Not only that but sports don't require that much work. You just spend the entire afternoon watching the Super bowl then come here and post about it. You can't really spend all day on C++ then come here and post about it - Actually you can, there's a forum for programming here
LostOverThere
awesty wrote:
May I suggest a 'Showcase' forum instead of the gamemaker forum. I want to post my games/animations, but there isnt anywhere to post them.

That way there are more people who would be involved too.



Try the Games Forum. Smile


Testicles wrote:
There is no way we are getting a Game Making forum, that is WAY to specific


That was a joke, right? Question

Lets think:
Graphic Designing For Games
Music Design For Games
Game Design
Level Design
C++
C+
GML
Delphi
VB
RAD

Enough? Well, theres some topics, but then theres:
Questions and Answers
Opinions
Suggestions

Then of course, if you wanted:
Articles



Is that enough?
Now Lets Look at the Photography forum, well, theres, uh...not much.
garionw
In Photography you can discuss things like:

- What Camera take good photos
- How to set the mood for a photo (and at the right angle)
- Photo Sharing Sites
- Displaying and Publishing Photos (DVD, Slideshow....)
- Sharing Photos and commenting on them

I'm not sure if anything like that happens, but it would do
ninjakannon
LostOverThere wrote:
You know what I meant, I meant a Game Making Forum

To be honest, I read that as the 'Games' forum and not 'Game Making' forum - without realising that you meant the latter. Make yourself clear! Razz
Boffel
reddishblue wrote:
There is no way we are getting a Game Making forum, that is WAY to specific, besides Boffel you got a reasonable response in the Games forum, why do we need a Game Making forum


Well... Are you stopid?

I got alot of response of my game that I made in games forum yes...

But where can I post/get tutorials, codes, make polls like what gamemaker is the best? Etc. Etc.

Games forum is not a good place to talk about gamemaking, but purhaps to post youre game.Exclamation
ninjakannon
Boffel wrote:
Well... Are you stopid?

How ironic.

Boffel wrote:
But where can I post/get tutorials, codes, make polls like what gamemaker is the best? Etc. Etc.

You can post about tutorials in the Tutorials forum, you can talk about game making software in the Software forum and you can talk about codes in one of the Scripting forums.

It's all there, Boffel, you just have to use a range of different forums instead of just the one.

Boffel wrote:
Games forum is not a good place to talk about gamemaking, but purhaps to post youre game.

Exactly, you've even given an example of how you can use the existing forums to talk about one aspect of game making; the games forum can be quite a good way of getting feedback on your game.

Be imaginative and look for the forum which best suits what you want to talk about. There isn't a Horse Care forum, but if I want to post about looking after horse’s hoofs then I'll go to the Hobbies and Animals forum.
And that's the reason why there won't be a forum specific to game making. If you make one for that, then people will complain about there not being a Horse Care forum, or whatever they happen to want. See?
garionw
Boffel wrote:
What about a forum for those who like gamemaking? They also want to chat about what they like. And because I have to be active in the forum, I need some interesting stuff to talk about.

I want to know more about what GameMaker`s that is the best, what people use, GameMaker languages, tutorials, show my games and look at others etc.

Can you please add it? This is an active forum and good to talk about gamemaking. Im sure it will be an active forum.

And If you can, please add a 3D Modeling forum to. That is also interesting for gamemakers and animation makers.

Im waiting for response Razz

Edit:

This is not a request for a "gamemaker" forum, but a forum about ALL game-makers!


I want a forum for computer-making. I want to build a computer from scratch then discuss what software is available for it and I want it in the 1 forum

and just look through the tutorial forum, there are topics for everything in there - Pizza to phpBB

Not Really, Its just an example Very Happy
reddishblue
LostOverThere wrote:


That was a joke, right? Question

Lets think:
Graphic Designing For Games
Music Design For Games
Game Design
Level Design
C++
C+
GML
Delphi
VB
RAD

Enough? Well, theres some topics, but then theres:
Questions and Answers
Opinions
Suggestions


That was not a joke, something I'm sure you know, they extent of things that you can talk about is not the matter, It is the extent of things you WILL talk about and we do not have that many Game Makers in this community, this will not pass because once again it is too specific, looking at one aspect only of Game Making, why don't I suggest a forum for Sig Design I will let you answer that one...
reddishblue
And may I ask what everyone is referring to when they say Photography forum, to my knowledge the closest thing to that is the Filmmaking and Graphics forum, oh and there is where you can post and talk about sprites and graphics too.
LostOverThere
Look, if you dont want one, don't use it.

Be right now, there are tons of people who will be willing to.
What I meant for Photography was Film and Graphics.

As Garion stated, there is about 5 things to chat about with the graphics section, Game Making, well over 3 times that amount.



Please Bondings!


Put in a Game Maker Forum, if we dont use it enough - Take it Out.
reddishblue
Could the "Tons" of people who will use this forum please post the affirmative, at the moment it seems to be 4 for and 8 against...
ninjakannon
reddishblue wrote:
Could the "Tons" of people who will use this forum please post the affirmative, at the moment it seems to be 4 for and 8 against...

I voted against because I don't need it and I'm sure it will hardly get used. However, if it was actually created (which it won't be, I'm quite certain) then I would use it, simply because it was their and would make things simpler.
garionw
reddishblue wrote:
Could the "Tons" of people who will use this forum please post the affirmative, at the moment it seems to be 4 for and 8 against...


4 for and 9 against now. The reasource's are here already - creating a Game Making forum is only going to be a convenience.

It's just like a Cooking forum. I can suggest to create one but why? Cooking discussions can already to go into Health and Beauty and if I need to post a tutorial, it can go into the Tutorial's forum.
Boffel
Quote:
I voted against because I don't need it and I'm sure it will hardly get used. However, if it was actually created (which it won't be, I'm quite certain) then I would use it, simply because it was their and would make things simpler.


So why did you vote against, when what you actually mean is, I dont care?

When you say you dont need it, then your not against it...

And how can you say it want be used, when I get so much comments for my game in the games forum, and also another even started post his own game in my topic, because it was so many comments there. Rolling Eyes

And could Please all that voted here say why they posted like they did?
garionw
Most people who have posted no, have already explained it - Its just a too specific topic and there are already other topics that relate to Game Making
reddishblue
I think we would all appreciate it if Bondings would come and put his foot down, which I am surprised he has not done yet, this is becoming an intense battle of wills.
Boffel
reddishblue:
yeah I know... But it is a cool dicussion, lol. At least I have something to talk about here. And I realy hope the forum comes, and I think it will in the future.

Well... Now I also have other things to talk about, like the game I posted, and sell and buy things on the marked. Also I tryed make a contest (signatur) but it doesnt look like it is so active lol.

garionw:
Its 9 people that posted no and its only like 5 peoples that posted why they did post no...
Hogwarts
Boffel wrote:
reddishblue:
yeah I know... But it is a cool dicussion, lol. At least I have something to talk about here. And I realy hope the forum comes, and I think it will in the future.

Well... Now I also have other things to talk about, like the game I posted, and sell and buy things on the marked. Also I tryed make a contest (signatur) but it doesnt look like it is so active lol.

garionw:
Its 9 people that posted no and its only like 5 peoples that posted why they did post no...


Ok, I'll tell you why I posted no.

It's another useless forum targeted at a small minority of the people (and aliens) at Frihost. It's going to be full of spam posts, i.e. "Omgz0r h0w d0 I make a Gamez!?", as previously mentioned.

Quite frankly, I think that the current forums suffice... And if you want to make a forum about game making, perhaps you could use your hosting account.

In a nutshell:
I personally think it's a bad idea and should not be implemented, for the sake of 4 people. Especially when some of thoe people have four fifths of a topic posted by them....
reddishblue
Hogwarts wrote:
"Omgz0r h0w d0 I make a Gamez!?"

I can't help but laugh everytime someone says that 0000hhhhh n00bsoz y0uz n01z kn0w h0w t00 mak3 t3h gamsoz stf U n00b!
[/spam]
ninjakannon
Boffel wrote:
Quote:
I voted against because I don't need it and I'm sure it will hardly get used. However, if it was actually created (which it won't be, I'm quite certain) then I would use it, simply because it was their and would make things simpler.


So why did you vote against, when what you actually mean is, I dont care?

You could infer that from what I said. However, I still stand by my original vote. Why? I shall explain.

As I said, I would use the forum, if it were there - as I'm sure would other people. Yet I'm getting on fine at the moment, and there is no game making forum; I use the current forums to post in as they appear to satisfy the whole range of subjects which will ever be brought up. And I'm happy with the way it is. If this new forum was created it would - in my opinion - be the least used forum on FriHost; furthermore, if you think about it, there would probably be hardly any new threads at all, 1 a day at most. Why so few? Because almost no one makes games, in proportion to the total number of members on FriHost. I don't want to have to scroll past a dud unused forum on my way to, for example, the Marketplace forum and think "Oh God, if I had voted against that it wouldn't be there wasting my bandwidth". (Even though it would only waste a few kb Razz.) I ah PERFECTLY happy with the current forum set-up and am strongly against any forums which aren't going to even be looked at by 99% (or thereabout) of FriHost's members. To sum that all up in a few words: I don't want it because there is no point in it.
LostOverThere
reddishblue wrote:
Hogwarts wrote:
"Omgz0r h0w d0 I make a Gamez!?"

I can't help but laugh everytime someone says that 0000hhhhh n00bsoz y0uz n01z kn0w h0w t00 mak3 t3h gamsoz stf U n00b!
[/spam]



Ever thought about just a stickied topic which explains how easy it is to make a game?


I would love a Game Making Forum. Smile
garionw
LostOverThere wrote:
reddishblue wrote:
Hogwarts wrote:
"Omgz0r h0w d0 I make a Gamez!?"

I can't help but laugh everytime someone says that 0000hhhhh n00bsoz y0uz n01z kn0w h0w t00 mak3 t3h gamsoz stf U n00b!
[/spam]



Ever thought about just a stickied topic which explains how easy it is to make a game?


I would love a Game Making Forum. Smile


But there are so many programs - you can write it in C, GML, Flash, Java
reddishblue
Those don't stop "0MGszoz Wh41 iz l1nuxzzoz?" (Oh My God What is Linux) in the OS forum, those posts can never die and with a topic so suited to a minority you can expect lots and lots of those posts.
LostOverThere
So you're saying just because like in every other forum there are idiots, it stops everyone else from having a Game Making Forum.


Makes No Sense to me.
reddishblue
I AM saying that having stickied topics is not a solution
Bockman
Firstly, you guys better cool down a bit. I wouldn't want to have to close this topic.

Second, I haven't voted (guess the reason is obvious) but i'll state my view of this situation:

1. you currently have 53!! subforums at Frihost (I believe these to be too many subforums already). I can't believe you don't have the resources to get the information you want. Yes, it'll be didvided into severall subforums, but we can't afford to have a subforum for a handfull of people that can't be bothered to use the rest of the forums (otherwise we would have 530 subforums, not "just" 53).

2. Frihost will soon be having some changes and before that i don't see any chance in adding any more subforums.

Be Well Cool
reddishblue
Well said Bockman, but would you mind saying if there is any chance of this being implemented, since Bondings seems to be missing at the moment.
Bockman
reddishblue wrote:
(...) would you mind saying if there is any chance of this being implemented(...)


I already stated my opinion, but I can't speak for Bondings. In the end it's always in his hands.

Be Well Cool
LostOverThere
Well, the number of people saying Me is growing, and I still know of Game Makers who haven't voted.
reddishblue
LostOverThere wrote:
Well, the number of people saying Me is growing, and I still know of Game Makers who haven't voted.

Are you telling people to vote?
LostOverThere
No, of Course not.


What I meant though is there was 4 people the other day who said Me, and now there is 6. Smile
Blaster
I personaly don't want this forum. Like bockman said there is a lot of forums already on frihost. Too mainy I think. for people with slower internet connections this won't be good. This will mean that it takes a longer time to load everypage. And thats not really the best thing to do. But thats just my opion.
Scorpio
LostOverThere wrote:
No, of Course not.


What I meant though is there was 4 people the other day who said Me, and now there is 6. Smile


Now there is 7, but the NOT ME has grown to 15, which, incidentally is more than twice of what ME has.

It is evident that over 50% of who have voted are against the idea or not interested in it.

If somebody wants a gamemaker forum with 7 people voting for it, I am quite sure they've got their priorities wrong.

Also, if this were to be implemented, then there would be nothing technically wrong in setting up a German language or chinese language forum as well, since there are more than 7 people on this board who are interested in it and speak the language and also want a board atleast for the sake of it.
Boffel
Ok... Here is an idea:

Please listen all Admins/Mods!

What about a one week test with this gamemaker forum?
And if the forum got alot of posts after one week, we keep it, if its not very usefull you can delete it. Ok?

And please dont use to much time for that test week (If you will have it then), because if the forum gonna come one time, why wait?

I know its much more votes to not have the forum, but the little 7 votes thats for it, shows that its actually is some gamemakers here. And it will be more visible if it comes a new forum about gamemaking, because I dont think all the gamemakers here has seen this topic.

If this was a stopid idea just tell me, but I still think it is a good idea.
mathiaus
scorpio wrote:
Also, if this were to be implemented, then there would be nothing technically wrong in setting up a German language or chinese language forum as well, since there are more than 7 people on this board who are interested in it and speak the language and also want a board atleast for the sake of it.

Technically not though there is the large issue of moderators, language packs etc. There is a lot more to consider for the languages.

Boffel wrote:
What about a one week test with this gamemaker forum?

Bondings is busy enough without adding and removing 'test' forums.


Boffel wrote:
If this was a stopid idea just tell me, but I still think it is a good idea.

Not a stupid idea at all though there simply not enough demand here at the minute.
Scorpio
Your idea of a 'test forum' even if it is probable has a few glitches.

1. The handful of gamemakers here, with a intention to keep the forum going could start a lot of forum topics in a week and ensure that there are a lot of posts.

2. After a week, you may post in it once in a while or with lesser frequency than what you posted during the test week.

Well, the least somebody could do was to make a Gamemakers Sticky Topic in the games forum.
Atleast that would give you gamemakers a special place to express your ideas and stuff.

That wouldnt be too difficult and Bondings is not needed to implement that
LostOverThere
A Sticky Topic wouldn't be a good idea, its not a showcase we want remember.



A 1 Week Test would be good in my opinion
reddishblue
LostOverThere wrote:
A Sticky Topic wouldn't be a good idea, its not a showcase we want remember.



A 1 Week Test would be good in my opinion

Ok then, suppose we had a test, how many topics/posts would you need before it becomes a permanent forum and do you think that there will be a surge of posting there, meaning lots then none
Hogwarts
reddishblue wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:
A Sticky Topic wouldn't be a good idea, its not a showcase we want remember.



A 1 Week Test would be good in my opinion

Ok then, suppose we had a test, how many topics/posts would you need before it becomes a permanent forum and do you think that there will be a surge of posting there, meaning lots then none


I can relate that to people signing up to get hosting. They spam 10 posts in 3 minutes, most of them being one liners.

A test forum is a bad idea, just as Scorpio said, you'll just spam as many posts as you need and then it will die.

In my opinion, a one week test of this is an even worse idea then the idea of the forum, which quite honestly I think is a horrible idea.
LostOverThere
Hogwarts, you have a games site, why wouldnt you want to help others in a game making forum?
Scorpio
LostOverThere wrote:
Hogwarts, you have a games site, why wouldnt you want to help others in a game making forum?


Its not about like minded people here, its about the practicality of the forum's creation that he does not agree with.

If there is no definite answer, I would strongly recommend that this topic be locked till we receive one.
I am quite sure that there will be no fresh support for the 'I want this forum'.
Even if there is, there will probably be more ' I dont want this' votes.
saratdear
First of all, Boffel, as you are talking about a Gamemaking forum, rather than a Gamemaker forum, you'd better change the title and the poll question approriately.
Then, although I am not particularly interested in Gamemaking, I don't find this such a bad idea. Gamemaking is a very interesting topic, but seems like some people are not interested in it. Crying or Very sad
The forum is not a bad idea, as long as it is moderated very efficiently, as the other forums here, and also creating something like a sticky about how to make a simple game and that sort, to atleast try to prevent the predictable "HOW DO I MAKE A GAME???" threads, as someone said before.

All just my opinions, of course. Wink
LostOverThere
Yes, its about Game making forum.
ninjakannon
I totally agree with what mathiaus, scorpio and Hogwarts have said on this. Even though I have nothing to add I thought that it would be important to state my view, as this topic is all about views on the game making forum.

And yes, saratdear, we are talking about a Game Making forum instead of a Game Maker forum.

I agree that this topic should really be closed now, it's evident that there is going to be no one week trial period and furthermore, there will be no game making forum (Or not in the near future, at least).
simplyw00x
A test forum would be a good idea only in that it would clearly show what an impracticable idea this is. It takes almost no time to create and delete and would show quite clearly the lack of common interest and the low standard of posts I believe would exist.
Boffel
scorpio wrote:
Your idea of a 'test forum' even if it is probable has a few glitches.

1. The handful of gamemakers here, with a intention to keep the forum going could start a lot of forum topics in a week and ensure that there are a lot of posts.

2. After a week, you may post in it once in a while or with lesser frequency than what you posted during the test week.

Well, the least somebody could do was to make a Gamemakers Sticky Topic in the games forum.
Atleast that would give you gamemakers a special place to express your ideas and stuff.

That wouldnt be too difficult and Bondings is not needed to implement that


Actually I dont find this as a bad idea. I will start posting a gamemaking topic now Very Happy I hope it will be many posters there Smile

But I changed the subject of this topic to gamemaking instead of gamemaker, but we cant change polls, so that will still be as it is.
Boffel
Yep! I made the topic, and it already got alots of posts. Very Happy

I also see other posts their games there, and make new topics about their games. So when it comes alots of gamemaking topics there I hope you can add a forum for it to Very Happy
Hogwarts
Boffel wrote:
Yep! I made the topic, and it already got alots of posts. Very Happy

I also see other posts their games there, and make new topics about their games. So when it comes alots of gamemaking topics there I hope you can add a forum for it to Very Happy


Right....

Well, consiering that 7 of the 17 posts in the topic are by you, meaning that there are only 11 posts other then yours and 3 of those posts are one-liners, it demonstrates how people are going to spam.

And, yet again, another double post (At least it isn't a triple.. Like last time) by you, in a topic related to game making (Like the triple post)

There is an edit post button for a reason.. You don't need to effectively *bump* the topics...

It's going to cause spam. It's a bad idea.

Edit: By the way, the I don't care option in the poll is really stupid. If people don't care, they don't have to vote...
reddishblue
dammit, I was hoping this topic would die, as Hogwarts said above there is lots of spam already and we don't need a forum to generate spam, I don't have a clue why Bondings has not given his opinion yet but this forum will never fly, Its so faulty, people are going to spam like crazy, and we don't need four people holding up a forum, I think we can compromise on a single stickied topic (in the Games forum).
It would not be a good a good idea to argue this because its as good as your realistically going to get.
Animal
To be honest, I don't think that a Game Making forum will be popular enough. However, as we've said before, it doesn't really matter what forums we have on Frihost as long as people use them correctly and don't spam.

I've searched for "Game Maker" and found 13 related topics other than the one Boffel recently created. Of these 13 topics, 7 are called "Game Maker" (or some slight variation) and generally just discuss the software itself and not the actual process of Game Making. That leaves 6 topics discussing the process of Game Making between October 2005 and now - generally the same interested people have made posts in most of these topics, suggesting that it's fairly "niche". There are no other forums on Frihost that contain less than 20 posts over such a long period of time.

As I said, if a forum will be popular and will prove to be a draw to many users, the chances are that it will be made. Currently it doesn't look as though it will be particularly popular, but we will monitor the activity in The Game Making Topic amongst others over the next few months an if they prove to be popular, the new forum will be considered. In my opinion, there's absolutely nothing wrong with simply having one main thread for Game Making if it's not going to be popular enough to warrant a forum. Those involved in Game Making will surely be advanced forum members and will know to search for topics they're interested in before they post ( Wink ), so the topic will be easily found and contributed to. It is better to have one very popular thread than an almost empty (or spam-filled) forum.

So we will review it at a later date, and if we feel that this forum will be popular enough, we will most likely create the new forum. Until then, I'll -close- this topic because it seems that nobody is raising anything new to this discussion.
Bondings
There is no hurry to create a forum like this. If I would create it, it would definately be in probation and if it would get too much spam or almost no topics, merged with another one. It would also only be created when I change the index page layout to make place for more forums (and also add other forums).

One of the purposes of new forums is to create new topics to discuss about (stimulating more discussion on that topic) and also attracting/keeping people who like that niche. It's not because there are currently only a few discussions about a topic/niche, that there won't be in a forum about it. I've seen this happen when I added new forums in the past.

Making games is a potential niche/subcommunity I would like to have here at Frihost as I'm myself interested in it (studying computer science). But not a "How me create 1337 gamzers ... Idea Arrow Idea " or an empty forum, like a lot of people pointed out here.
Related topics
More forum types.
add some media code in the forum
New forum area (computer problems)
Remain active in this forum
help add admin in phpbb forum
RSS feed for the forum
This forum has too many ADS
Sports forum
Sports Forum?
Top 10s of the Forum
a good/freat forum!
Translate forum
Portuguese Forum
Not humor, but a play-by-forum game.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.