FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Online Test Drive Of Windows Vista

ravi_9793
Microsoft is now offering a online test drive of windows vista.It allows you to try this latest operating system (windows vista)from Microsoft without having to install it on your PC. Very Happy
you can xperience vista by simply logging in with ur browser. you need only fast internet connection. Smile
here is the link

http://www.windowsvistatestdrive.com/
crdowner
Could be an interesting site if it were not being updated.

FYI, I installed Vista on my work PC. I might could get used to the new interface but I gave up and went back to XP after running into numerous application installation issues. Microsoft's own firewall clients earlier than 2007 will not work on Vista. SQL 2000 has issues on Vista. Exchange System Manager 2003 will not install at all. I am not sure how an IT business is supposed to support other MS systems when they management tools won't install. Maybe MS will fix some of these issues after the public release date.
Nyizsa
crdowner wrote:
... I am not sure how an IT business is supposed to support other MS systems when they management tools won't install. ...

Simply: they buy MS Firewall for Vista, Vista Exchange System Manager, MS SQL for Vista, etc. Or they install some other kind of OS - probably for free.
ravi_9793
crdowner wrote:
Could be an interesting site if it were not being updated.

FYI, I installed Vista on my work PC. I might could get used to the new interface but I gave up and went back to XP after running into numerous application installation issues. Microsoft's own firewall clients earlier than 2007 will not work on Vista. SQL 2000 has issues on Vista. Exchange System Manager 2003 will not install at all. I am not sure how an IT business is supposed to support other MS systems when they management tools won't install. Maybe MS will fix some of these issues after the public release date.

yes you are right.I have also faced such problems...so most of time I use windowz xp.But using vista gave me a new exiting user experience.But old software installation issue should be taken seriously by microsoft.And I am sure that they will soon release service pack for vista solving all these issues.
brokenadvice
I think after test driving vista I will never "upgrade". These are running the final version of ultimate, but I was still able to crash the VM after about 10 minutes of play. This is a good test though, for people who want to try working with vista without actually defiling their machine (other than having to use IE to view the site)
Srs2388
I didn't like the test drive... it wasn't very OS like...
I do know that it is very limited to what you can do with a webpage though.
mikethm
I think I will wait at least another 6 months or more before switching to Windows Vista if I ever will. After all, Windows XP is really not that bad and does everything fine and stable... so I see no compelling reasons to switch at all.

Anyone who have switched to Vista have anything great to say about it? Skip the eye candies part thought please.
crdowner
There are a few features that could be nice if I got accustomed to using them. One nice thing is that the Run option is gone. Instead of having to click Run and then type a command, you can now simply type a command after clicking Start. No need to click Run anymore. There are other things that I can not remember at the moment.

I have also heard about one BIG design flaw on Microsoft's part. It seems MS decided that the user experience would be adversely impacted by asking users to open firewall ports on the first use so MS decided to require users to close ports instead. How many users do you think will close ports?! The Vista firewall is basically useless as it is.
lukeropro
It isn't really like a test drive, it simply tells you the different features of vista. To see a really good website that works more like an OS, go to http://osx.portraitofakite.com/ It rocks!
jon9314
you can't try it from linux that is so not cool.
evilryu530
thats hella good idea, im checking out the site now