FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

HELP W/ WIRELESS DRIVERS

heady233
Hi everyone, I just setup my laptop again and found that the Ethernet adapter is broken. I found our linksys wireless adapter but it won't work without the drivers on the CD, but the computer is Windows 98 and the thing needs internet explorer 5.5 or greater and only 5.0 is on it. I tried burining IE 5.5/6 onto a disc and using that to install but it needs to connect to the internet to install. Evil or Very Mad Since there's no internet connection on the PC I can't install it, and the ethernet part is dead, what do i DO??????????
RiCtee
Download the driver from another computer, put it in a disc / removable drive, transfer, install?? I think you got the wrong installation file for IE. There must be a standalone one.
heady233
RiCtee wrote:
Download the driver from another computer, put it in a disc / removable drive, transfer, install?? I think you got the wrong installation file for IE. There must be a standalone one.
I don't need to download the driver, I need to install it off a disc. And the disc requires IE 5.5. I don't have the wrong installation file, unless you can find one that's different.
Kelvin
Do you have MS Office installation CD? There is a copy of IE in most MS products. I'm certain that MS Office XP has IE in it. It is about 66MB in size. The standalone installation of IE is around 15-70MB if i remember correctly (depending on the version & modules attached). IE7 basic installation is about 16MB but I have not tried installing it offline.

You could also try looking for other driver CDs like your motherboard CD and modem CD. They usually contain IE too. Good luck.
RiCtee
Quote:
I don't need to download the driver, I need to install it off a disc. And the disc requires IE 5.5. I don't have the wrong installation file, unless you can find one that's different.

I think I get it now. The driver installation file should be on the disc. Instead of letting the disc autorun (and requires IE), you could right click your CD drive (in My Computer) -> Explore. Then find the driver inside.
heady233
RiCtee wrote:
Quote:

I think I get it now. The driver installation file should be on the disc. Instead of letting the disc autorun (and requires IE), you could right click your CD drive (in My Computer) -> Explore. Then find the driver inside.

I have actually just written the complete IE6 installer with a guide I found on the internet, I am now chatting with a linksys agent because the thing ain't workin' again.